Lost my first T today :(

paulbrown09

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

Lost my first T today, MM B.Smithi. To be honest, i feel pretty devestated, i know it's a Spider, but they've always been my absolute favourite T. I got him 2 years ago, the person i bought him from thought he was a female, either way, i'm glad i got him anyway.

He molted about 6 months ago, and i noticed he had Tibial Hooks, which kinda made my heart sink, and he was always wondering around, day and night, presumably looking for a female? Anyway last night i saw him in a death curl and went to check on him, he was moving, but very very slightly, and tried kicking hairs up at me. I left him alone, pretty much knowing he didn't have long left.

I went to check on him today and he's completely stopped moving, totally floppy and his abdomen has shrunk a lot. One thing i noticed when i check him over was that his mouth had a hard white substance over his fangs, i'm sure it's not nematodes as i've done a lot of reading up, and i've NEVER noticed him having any form of white substance around his mouth, and the last time i saw his underside/mouth properly was about 3 days ago when he was up on the side of the tank. I'm guessing it was regurgitation or something along that line.

Either way, i'm devestated and i think i might have him permanently preserved if thats possible. Well i guess things go on, and i'm going to have to deal with it and move on, but it's still not nice :(

Paul

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm so sorry to hear that, Paul :( It's always hard to lose something you cherish and here you're among those who understand it's not always "just a spider".

Perhaps you can honor him by getting another and caring for that one just as nicely as you did him.

My second loss is upon me with the inexplicable and unexpected death of my big female P. lugardi. Looking into preserving is a nice idea. :)

paulbrown09

Arachnopeon
Thanks ksmith, so sorry to hear about your P.Lugardi :(

My partner has been saying that all day, "it's just a spider" but i guess people who aren't into the hobby just wont understand.
I've actually got 3 more T's, and i got another T today (H.Lividum). My others are B.Emilia, G.Rosea and T.Blondi. They're all special to me, but ever since i got into the hobby, i always wanted a B.Smithi, so i'm happy i had the chance to own one and he was absolutely lovely to own. Friendly, photogenic and great to watch. I'll definitely get another Smithi, my collection feels incomplete without him actually.

I think i'm lucky in the respects to what i own now. My Rosea and Blondi are both Female, my Emilia isn't sexually mature yet, and it's molts are always found crumpled, so i can't sex it yet, i hope it's a she though!

My lividum is a mature female from what i was told today, i've looked for hooks and palps and i see none at all. It's also not got the "colour" characteristics of a male, it's more black/grey that MM brown. It's abdomen does have a brown/gold tint to it, so i dont know if thats a valid way of potentially sexing it, time will tell.

I'm definitely going to preserve my Smithi, i've just got to find out the best thing to use, as of yet, i'm not sure at all :( Hopefully someone can help in that respect?