Lost my A. avicularia sling

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry to say that my A. avicularia sling has died while trying to moult. In fact it was unable to moult! It has been on its back for 5 days but was unable to even crack its carapace. I tried doing what I can - putting drops of water on the mouth to try and get it to drink. While there were signs of movement, they have stopped today and the spider is 'frozen'.

I'm worried it may not actually be dead, but there is nothing I can do and I'm sure if it's not dead already it will be soon.

I am fully prepared to admit this it is highly likely this was my fault. I suspect I may have kept it too dry. I have followed the advice for avics - keep them dry with a water dish, and to be sure, all of my other avics and related species are doing well in this way. But not this sling.

On the other hand, this sling has never behaved 'normally' (compared with my other slings).

I got it newly hatched in May and it has only moulted once in that time (others of a similar age have moulted 2-3 times). I have also observed:

- It kept falling off while trying to walk up the sides and top of the enclosure. I put this down to either dirt or pre-moult, but it always did this.
- It never wanted to eat much, and ate even less after its previous moult
- When it moulted the first time it fell from its web platform while moulting. It appeared to be okay, but...

So while it was probably my fault, I do wonder if it wasn't very healthy for reasons that I'll never know,

But I'm still upset by it.

Last picture of fidget trying to moult:

IMG_3137.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
it happens...not your fault...it had water...molting always presents a degree of risk.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Agreed, I don't think it was your fault, especially since you have others that are doing fine. I'm so very sorry for your loss, unfortunately it's just something that happens in this hobby that we have no control over. I lost a Caribena versicolor to a stuck molt, even though I followed all the advice given here. To quote someone who was quick to respond, "This is when we, as keepers, move on." Which seemed quite blunt at the time, but the fact of the matter is that the more spiders you have the more risk there is that something could go wrong. I totally feel your pain but it will get better.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Hi Wayne! I'm Ibon from tarantulas UK, just recently comented your case here.

Sorry to finally see that died, I was hoping that she could make it, but when you didn't answered I felt the worst have happened.

Here you can find the best advices for you, even if we disagree in some terms.

Don't feel bad, as everybody make mistakes. Everybody.

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Sorry for your loss. Avics are and will continue to be the number one T that comes up on these boards for people having problems.

Probably because there's still an open discussion on what moisture requirements are best for them.

All you can do is focus on the spiders you have left and maybe try again when the time is right for you

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Hi Wayne! I'm Ibon from tarantulas UK, just recently comented your case here.

Sorry to finally see that died, I was hoping that she could make it, but when you didn't answered I felt the worst have happened.

Here you can find the best advices for you, even if we disagree in some terms.

Don't feel bad, as everybody make mistakes. Everybody.
Thanks. I didn't reply further because nothing had changed. It was hanging on - for 5 days! I was hoping that it might just manage a moult. Having had a proper look at it now that it has died - it never even cracked the carapace.

Sorry for your loss. Avics are and will continue to be the number one T that comes up on these boards for people having problems.

Probably because there's still an open discussion on what moisture requirements are best for them.

All you can do is focus on the spiders you have left and maybe try again when the time is right for you
Thanks. I have over 'avics' that I'm keeping in the same way - A. purpurea, Y. diversipes and C. laeta. They are doing fine, which is why I'm stumped as to why this one fared so differently.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Thanks. I have over 'avics' that I'm keeping in the same way - A. purpurea, Y. diversipes and C. laeta. They are doing fine, which is why I'm stumped as to why this one fared so differently.
Did anything changed suddendly in your house? Different weather, using AC or something else?

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Did anything changed suddendly in your house? Different weather, using AC or something else?
No, not that I can think of. We don't have an AC in the house (live in the UK). We are heading towards winter but the central heating keeps us at a stable 20-21C during the day, and the temps are not that cold anyway.

Wayne

Dorifto

He who moists xD
No, not that I can think of. We don't have an AC in the house (live in the UK). We are heading towards winter but the central heating keeps us at a stable 20-21C during the day, and the temps are not that cold anyway.

Wayne
Temps are fine, there is nothing to worry about that, I'm more intrigued by the central heating as it acts the same way like a AC does decreasing RH (relative hunidity).

I asked about AC, because when it's working it decreases the amount of water in the air, by condensing it decreasing the RH. The central heating while it heats the cold air, it decreases the RH because heating that air it allows to have more moisture on it. So in both situations, it will draw moisture faster from our enclosures. The lower the RH, the faster it dries things.

So did you have any recent dry weather or your house it's dry enough to have had such impact on her?

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
So did you have any recent dry weather or your house it's dry enough to have had such impact on her?
I don't think so, but without measuring the RH in the house (and I'm not) I can't be sure.

The relative humidity where I live rarely drops below 70, and is often higher. In addition (though this may not account for anything) I keep my Ts in the bedroom and we have an ensuite shower. After a couple of showers in the morning, I'm sure some of the warm humid air gets into the bedroom.

None of this is a change though.

Wayne

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I stopped keeping them years ago.So many other awesome T,s to have,and raise.Its not your fault.
Sorry,but my advise is to move on with other genus/species.

and with this genus, more than most
This right here.

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
I stopped keeping them years ago.So many other awesome T,s to have,and raise.Its not your fault.
Sorry,but my advise is to move on with other genus/species.
i have a fondness for them, so I won’t be giving up on avics. I do agree that there are plenty of other awesome Ts though.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I have followed the advice for avics - keep them dry with a water dish
I lost my first two avics pretty quickly using these husbandry recommendations. My third gets this plus regular water on the web and plant via a hand mister and seems to be doing well.

I don't think "fault" is relevant here. You certainly weren't negligent. I think we can all get better at keeping captive animals healthy by following established recommendations and then individually and collectively improving them -- but improving them conservatively, simply, one element at a time, and only for good practical reasons.