LOST: GBB

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
See the problem is most of the new people to this hobby don't come here first then go buy a spider, there first interaction with the hobby is either a pet store or an online dealer. And both of those places want to sell you more stuff, so they tell you to 'bundle' and save money.
Yes well I know that of course, man. Just that, IMO one thing is to see a garbage like that arriving from the crappy "all kind of animals" chain pet-stores, another (no matter the sale at all costs) is to see something like that suggested by supposed 'Pro' Theraphosidae breeders/dealers :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Are these holes to big for my little C. Versi? I used a thin nail to poke the holes. Pics inc. Sorry if Pics are hard to see let me know if I need to take new ones. I poked a tonnnnn of holes. View attachment 239249 View attachment 239250
They will probably work but are a bit big for a sling that size IMO. I usually use a thumbtack to make the holes then a toothpick to widen them slightly till they are the size I want.

Last edited:

Conna

Arachnopeon
I did in fact receive my order from Tanya at FearNotTarantulas and she did not apoligize once for the escape out of her "Beginner Habitat". I emailed her that I found it and she then emails and says this "That is so good to hear! I normally put electrical tape over the hole on the underside of the lid if the spiderling is smaller - and drill small holes on the sides. "

Hey well don't you think this was important information to include in your description or maybe even in an email??? All of her responses made me feel like she cared very little that my first sling/T ever escaped from the Habitat she sold me as pre setup ready to go. Questions I asked about the slings received quick responses that basically summed up to figure it out yourself. On a positive note she did say in her last email that they are no longer using the habitat that I was sent.

Conna

Arachnopeon
They will probably work but are a bit big for a sling that size IMO. I usually use a thumbtack to make the holes then a toothpick to widen the slightly till they are the size I want.
Roger that! After my GBB escape I would much rather play it safe... i will repoke smaller holes in another deli cup.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I did in fact receive my order from Tanya at FearNotTarantulas and she did not apoligize once for the escape out of her "Beginner Habitat". I emailed her that I found it and she then emails and says this "That is so good to hear! I normally put electrical tape over the hole on the underside of the lid if the spiderling is smaller - and drill small holes on the sides. "

Hey well don't you think this was important information to include in your description or maybe even in an email??? All of her responses made me feel like she cared very little that my first sling/T ever escaped from the Habitat she sold me as pre setup ready to go. Questions I asked about the slings received quick responses that basically summed up to figure it out yourself. On a positive note she did say in her last email that they are no longer using the habitat that I was sent.
Yeah, that's kinda careless of her. I'm kinda disappointed even more so now...

I think I'll try a different vendor next time.

Conna

Arachnopeon

I think I'll try a different vendor next time.
If I wasn't a noob and just ordered Slings/T it would have been a great experience ordering from her. She shipped out fast and everything arrived happy and healthy looking.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If I wasn't a noob and just ordered Slings/T it would have been a great experience ordering from her. She shipped out fast and everything arrived happy and healthy looking.
The good news is there was ultimately no harm done and you've learned more about housing for you T. Soon you'll be making enclosures and buying more Ts.

Conna

Arachnopeon
The good news is there was ultimately no harm done and you've learned more about housing for you T. Soon you'll be making enclosures and buying more Ts.
After I saw your post on my Versi deli cup I went immediately to The Container Store and bought several different sized Amac boxes. Busted out my drill and used the smallest bit I had believe it was 1/16 I will post some pics of the finished enclosures. Still got 1 left to do :) I really appreciate the help! :)

Conna

Arachnopeon
The delicup is a bit big for such a small versicolor..maybe downsize the cup AND holes?
I went to the container store got it something I think is better sized? I will post a pic here in a bit when I am done drilling the last one. Thanks for the reply! Please tell me what you think of the new one :)

Conna

Arachnopeon
Here is some pictures. The C. Versicolor now looks even smaller now that I got it all setup and drilled. Should I move it to the smallest size (shown in pic) or will it be fine to grow in this? My B. Vagans who is TINY is in the smallest size but I did buy an extra incase the versi was to small for its box. My hand isn't the most steady but I tried my best :) 20170505_150315.jpg 20170505_150328.jpg

AshS

Arachnosquire
Here is some pictures. The C. Versicolor now looks even smaller now that I got it all setup and drilled. Should I move it to the smallest size (shown in pic) or will it be fine to grow in this? My B. Vagans who is TINY is in the smallest size but I did buy an extra incase the versi was to small for its box. My hand isn't the most steady but I tried my best :) View attachment 239285 View attachment 239286
I have my versi sling in this untill she's a bit bigger. I have a bigger one made up but thought it was to big at the moment.

20170503_193453.jpg

This is the I made ready for her.

20170428_205108.jpg

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire

I think I'll try a different vendor mext
I agree.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Here is some pictures. The C. Versicolor now looks even smaller now that I got it all setup and drilled. Should I move it to the smallest size (shown in pic) or will it be fine to grow in this? My B. Vagans who is TINY is in the smallest size but I did buy an extra incase the versi was to small for its box. My hand isn't the most steady but I tried my best :) View attachment 239285 View attachment 239286
Looks good! :)

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
That will be good for a while. The verse will make its funnel and settle in just fine

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I haven't seen that extra tall AMAC on the left. AMACs are great, I have 4 of my 11 Ts in them.

I can't claim this idea for my own, but I cut a large hole in the bottom of my larger AMACS and glued a plastic bottle top. Now I can feed and water without opening the whole thing. I've seen this from a couple of people now but can't remember who.

Glad you found your GBB and your setups are looking good!

IMG_5657.JPG