LOST: GBB

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Look up at my reply, I think it's the same vendor I used as I have what looks like exactly the same enclosure from them with the one hole. Also I had a rosehair stick her leg out of that hole on her first day in the enclosure. She didn't spend much longer in it.
I read everyone's reply before I posted my previous one. Your reply doesn't answer my question, it's an assumption not a statement of fact ;)

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I assumed we were posting at the same time and my reply wasn't loaded onto the page yet. I'm almost guaranteeing that's who it is because they sell the same "beginner package deal", same enclosure and same lazy half butt responses. They're also one of the more advertised dealers on Facebook.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'm glad you posted this thread, because it reaffirms a recent enclosure decision I made. Not long ago, I set up a new enclosure for my Acanthoscurria geniculata sling with larger holes for better ventilation. Then I looked at the holes and the spider, and that made me nervous. I couldn't be 100% sure that the spider couldn't fit through the holes, so I erred on the side of caution and drilled smaller holes into a second enclosure.

For future reference, you want to make sure that any holes are smaller than the tarantula's carapace. (The abdomen, even a fat one, is more flexible and can be squeezed through surprisingly small spaces.)

While looking for the escape video above, I found a video with tips. Finding a sling is a long shot, but any chance is better than a 0% chance.

I always thought a T's pedicel could tear if the abdomen was pulled too hard, so I thought the abdomen could only be very slightly bigger than the space. Huh.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Sometimes I'm still amazed at what a T can fit into. My first time in the hobby I purchased one of these , the idea was to make feeding 50 Ts at the time a much simpler process being able to just pull out, feed and slide back in. The smaller sizes were perfect for juvies and the larger sizes worked well for adults. I secured them by placing 2 bread ties on the opening handles. And this actually worked pretty well for about a month. Then two of the spiders on the top row managed to push a large enough gap even with the bread ties to escape them. I ultimately ended up do a mass rehouse that week.. just wasn't taking the risk anymore but I couldn't even get my thumb through them when they were fastened with the bread ties.

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
One thing I noticed is GBB's as slings like to climb so be sure to check up high. Also consider using a flash light when you're searching as their eyes reflect light so you might be able to spot it that way. Best of luck to ya, you're gonna need it.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Your best odds to see it are at night. Leave the room dark for a while. Go in and turn the lights on. It may be out in the open. Long odds but you never know.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Use a red flashlight
I agree. I didn't suggest it because the likelihood of a new keeper having one is slim. I think the first night has the best odds of finding it. Do what you need to.

To the OP, find a little red flashlight on Amazon if you don't have one. You'll use it.

Conna

Arachnopeon
I found it! I could barely sleep last night and decided to get up randomly at 6am to search before it got to bright in my apartment. It was in the closet that it escaped in somehow even though I emptied everything. It was on the ceiling top left corner building a web quickly grabbed my catch cup and got it! It is now rehoused and settling into its new enclosure :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I found it! I could barely sleep last night and decided to get up randomly at 6am to search before it got to bright in my apartment. It was in the closet that it escaped in somehow even though I emptied everything. It was on the ceiling top left corner building a web quickly grabbed my catch cup and got it! It is now rehoused and settling into its new enclosure :)
Good to hear, not surprised it stayed in the closet. If and when a sling escapes I wouldn't expect it to get far, they are so tiny and usually just seek out a hiding place.

Conna

Arachnopeon
Good to hear, not surprised it stayed in the closet. If and when a sling escapes I wouldn't expect it to get far, they are so tiny and usually just seek out a hiding place.
I must have passed over it somehow when emptying the closet. I took everything out and looked inside just in case... There is a small opening on the ceiling that I am going to seal off now that I noticed. It may have crawled inside there until the lights went out and then came back out to explore. Best feeling when I saw the little thing on the ceiling! :) :)

Last edited:

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I must have passed over it somehow when emptying the closet. I took everything out and looked inside just in case... There is a small opening on the ceiling that I am going to seal off now that I noticed. It may have crawled inside there until lights went out and came back out to explore. Best feeling when I saw the little thing on the ceiling! :) :)
Congrats on finding the little guy!

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
So... Few weeks back I made a post on here about my GBB sling. I purchased a "Beginner Package" from a recommended online dealer that came with the habitat, substrate, small peice of bark, and the sling. Things were going great over the past few weeks and I was loving watching this thing web up the enclosure.

Here is the sad news:

Got off from work and came home immediately went to checkout my T and see how it was doing and noticed it wasn't out in the open... fearing the worse I picked up the enclosure and kinda looked around didn't see any evidence of it or under its hiding spots. Well...being a frantic first time owner I decided to slowly sift the substrate just to ease my mind that it was in fact still in the habitat... well..... it wasn't. The little 3/4in-1in sling had crawled out of the pre drilled hole on the habitat that I was sent as a starter kit. I will attach a picture of the sling and the size of the hole it crawled out of. FeelsBadMan. I tore apart the closet it was in and it is GONE. I don't know what to do now besides keep looking. Is this thing most likely going to be crawling down low somewhere or should I be searching in high places? Any tips? Besides never buy a starter kit for a sling and not realize the hole was to big
I'd look down low in the darkest places. Especially slightly above the floor in dark corners. However, as has been said, all you can do is rip apart the house and hope.

Fingers crossed

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Can I ask who was the vendor?
I'd go out on a limb and say it was Jaimie's. Most people I know who have bought slings and starter kits buy from there. However this is the first I've heard of this problem.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd go out on a limb and say it was Jaimie's. Most people I know who have bought slings and starter kits buy from there. However this is the first I've heard of this problem.
She uses screens in her starter kit enclosure and they work pretty good. I've used a few of hers without any problem. I've not seen any with just a single hole in them before so I have no idea who it is.

It's always best to make sure the enclosure is good regardless of who it's bought from.

I'm glad you found it. It was likely tucked in a crack or dip and you over looked it. That was lucky as most are never recovered.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I must have passed over it somehow when emptying the closet. I took everything out and looked inside just in case... There is a small opening on the ceiling that I am going to seal off now that I noticed. It may have crawled inside there until the lights went out and then came back out to explore. Best feeling when I saw the little thing on the ceiling! :) :)
That was a lucky find. Congratulations!!!!

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I gonna be honest with you, I've had two 4 inch spiders escape, and I didn't find either one of them until 1-2 months later and one was just hanging on my bathroom wall and the other strolled across my living room. A spider that size can really be anywhere, if your lucky maybe it will do some webbing.
I know that feeling. I lost an OBT for six months before I found it.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
LOL how did you sleep at night? ;)
Hahaha. Pretty soundly. Ironically I found it behind my bed while doing laundry. I was folding shirts and one slipped down the gap between the bed and the wall,. I reached down to pick it up and boom, there was the OBT