Lost for words...

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
Nothing is impervious to idiots, if it exists then morons will find a way to ruin it.

Because people being idiots with venomous animals is how you end up with bans on keeping them. All it takes is one person to ruin it for everyone.

Also, as much as I like to see him get tagged and and up in the ER for being a colossal knobwomble, he'll probably kill the tarantula in the process.
I understand your worry about bans, but dogs kill people everyday and they are not banned. Most dog attacks are due to idiot people, and I just don’t think this ban everyone is afraid of will happen. Thankfully.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I understand your worry about bans, but dogs kill people everyday and they are not banned. Most dog attacks are due to idiot people, and I just don’t think this ban everyone is afraid of will happen. Thankfully.
Dogs are completely different than spiders. Dogs and cats are a norm, tarantulas are not (same thing with snakes). It would be very easy for lawmakers to ban owning tarantulas as the vast majority of people wouldn’t care. I don’t know if you’re a part of the reptile hobby, but that’s a big fear there too. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security when it comes to owning Ts. Just like any exotic pets, the government can, and very well might, pass restrictions on owning them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I live in the UK, regardless of the fact that dogs are responsible for tens of thousands of deaths per year worldwide, if the government banned dogs there'd be chavs with staffies storming parliament before you could say "dordy mush".

They are already banned in some countries, they were banned in Italy for a while, they're banned in some parts of Canada IIRC, I think there is one place in the US that will only let you keep one or two species and in the UK you need a DWA license to keep certain spiders/scorpions (this doesn't currently affect tarantulas).

Last edited:

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Depending on where you live in the US, certain breeds of dogs are banned.(rottweilers, pit bulls, etc.)
If enough people with power see something as a threat, they can certainly put bans on it.

ButterflyTarantulas

Arachnopeon
If he wants to do something stupid like that, he can, but posting it gives the wrong idea to plenty of impressionable people. So its not him getting bit, rather, its the next moron who decides its ok and DOES get bit.
I agree completely.
I just wanted to say off topic...It made me smile to see your profile pic in a topic titled Lost for words :)

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Who cares? He more than likely didn’t get bit, because then he’d be showing that off too. What does it matter if someone wants to be a dumbass with their tarantula? Get over it and let people make stupid decisions if they want to.
Because this type of mentality gives this hobby a bad name like idiots that think it’s cool to have a blue spider ( for ex.) in the wrong enclosure in the wrong substrate,shows him holding it and sitting on his head. posts the video on YouTube or on Reddit twitter wherever.. off cam he handles it gets haired in the eyes and gets bit at the same. Dude winds up blind and has a serious allergic reaction to the venom. Govt and state law can prohibit them especially after what National Geographic posted few days ago. About worldwide smuggling and illegal importation and also used this site as reference to our hobby. The International Union for the Conservation of Nature are in on it. They posed as hobbyists and went to an expo. Supposedly the P.Metallica is CRITICALLY endangered in the wild, also the T.Psychedelicus 8 months after its discovery is also CRITICALLY endangered... basically all I’m saying all these dumbasses and idiots will get our loved T’s banned... I see this happening

samo102

Arachnopeon
Because this type of mentality gives this hobby a bad name like idiots that think it’s cool to have a blue spider ( for ex.) in the wrong enclosure in the wrong substrate,shows him holding it and sitting on his head. posts the video on YouTube or on Reddit twitter wherever.. off cam he handles it gets haired in the eyes and gets bit at the same. Dude winds up blind and has a serious allergic reaction to the venom. Govt and state law can prohibit them especially after what National Geographic posted few days ago. About worldwide smuggling and illegal importation and also used this site as reference to our hobby. The International Union for the Conservation of Nature are in on it. They posed as hobbyists and went to an expo. Supposedly the P.Metallica is CRITICALLY endangered in the wild, also the T.Psychedelicus 8 months after its discovery is also CRITICALLY endangered... basically all I’m saying all these dumbasses and idiots will get our loved T’s banned... I see this happening
Very well said

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Can somebody link him to our forum so we can get frequent bite reports on pokies or what?

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Yea that’s just a dumb idea lol
Hey look guys a Haplopelma Minax Lets try and get bitten to see what it feels like

Yessss squishy giant thing, let me “Kiss” you, yea “KISS” YOU

AAARRRRGH, no WHY WHY, I DO THAT

Hiss, hehehe because you are stupid squishy giant thing HISS

tspider

Arachnopeon
Ok so I have to put my 2 cents in. That guy is one of my closest friends. His husbands is amazing and his spiders are in amazing condition. If he got bit, I promise you he wouldn’t go to the hospital. He would ride it out. He’s one of the nicest people I’ve met. The fact that you guys would wish harm on him is exactly what’s wrong with the hobby. Shame on all of you.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ok so I have to put my 2 cents in. That guy is one of my closest friends. His husbands is amazing and his spiders are in amazing condition. If he got bit, I promise you he wouldn’t go to the hospital. He would ride it out. He’s one of the nicest people I’ve met. The fact that you guys would wish harm on him is exactly what’s wrong with the hobby. Shame on all of you.
Not everyone was wishing him harm. I for one was worried about the spider and the hobby. Everyone always says they wouldn't go to the hospital until they get bit by a potent species, trust me, even a seasoned T keeper would want to go to the hospital. Just because his spiders are in amazing condition doesn't mean that this stunt didn't endanger the T, or himself, or even the hobby. If he chooses to handle OWs, it should be on his own, no photos shared, no videos, etc. This is going to give new keepers, or someone who has no knowledge of tarantulas, the wrong idea. It's the irresponsibility that bothers me, as well as the other members. It's jeopardizing the hobby, which isn't what we need right now. Shame on him.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
He’s blatantly ignoring the fact that normalizing handling will put kids in the hospital. This will cause negative stigma that only serves to endanger these beautiful creatures more. I’m not saying don’t handle. I’m saying keep your pictures to yourself. By sharing them for karma on reddit, he is literally either a) glorifying it for karma or b) trying to normalize handling.

If there is an option c, please let me know.

samo102

Arachnopeon
He’s blatantly ignoring the fact that normalizing handling will put kids in the hospital. This will cause negative stigma that only serves to endanger these beautiful creatures more. I’m not saying don’t handle. I’m saying keep your pictures to yourself. By sharing them for karma on reddit, he is literally either a) glorifying it for karma or b) trying to normalize handling.

If there is an option c, please let me know.
That was my point of uploading it, never would wish harm on someone else. The spreading of an idea that it’s okay to handle T’s especially an old world isn’t a good idea. In reddit’s case specifically the amount of people who don’t know much about T’s is much higher. You post a pic holding an OW here and you’ll get ridiculed because the people in this community have a much greater knowledge than those on reddit.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
That was my point of uploading it, never would wish harm on someone else. The spreading of an idea that it’s okay to handle T’s especially an old world isn’t a good idea. In reddit’s case specifically the amount of people who don’t know much about T’s is much higher. You post a pic holding an OW here and you’ll get ridiculed because the people in this community have a much greater knowledge than those on reddit.
Oops. Got the wrong guy