lost another ling

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Well, upon checking on everyone, misting and all, I noticed that one of my parahybana lings had died in molt. It looked nearly done, but died nearly similar to my emilia in that, the exuvium was stuck to the abdomen. (perhaps it was stuck internally, as well.
I swear, I thought I was keeping the humidity up high enough. This really #$%&@!* sucks. This helpless crearures are in my care, and I kill 3 of them.
Later,
Gillian

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that, I hate losing slings.

I lost a B. ruhnaui slign yesterday to what must have been shipping trauma - received it Tuesday morning. It started going south on Wednesday afternoon, dead yesterday afternoon. I never got a chance to know that one.

I wouldn't curse yourself too much about the humidity - there is no hard source for this oft repeated bit of tarantula keeping lore and my personal feeling is that it has nothing at all to do with it. Twenty years of keeping Ts and I've never lost one to a bad moult yet and I know I pay next to zero attention to humidity. Moist substrate for those that like it or slings because they do dessicate easily? yes, actual humidity? never.

EDIT: I'm not saying mine is the best method of keeping Ts, but if humidity was really such a critical factor, I should have killed plenty of Ts by now and since I haven't while plenty of people who obsess over it do, I'm guessing whatever contributes to bad moults, ambient humidity isn't it.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think when you keep young slings, you have to keep a Darwinian mindset. Some of them will make it, some of them just won't. After raising some slings from eggsac to 1", I believe that there is a certain ratio of young that fail to thrive no matter what you do for them. I've had similar experiences with tadpoles.

Sorry about your loss.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Sorry to hear that, I hate losing slings.

I lost a B. ruhnaui slign yesterday to what must have been shipping trauma - received it Tuesday morning. It started going south on Wednesday afternoon, dead yesterday afternoon. I never got a chance to know that one.

I wouldn't curse yourself too much about the humidity - there is no hard source for this oft repeated bit of tarantula keeping lore and my personal feeling is that it has nothing at all to do with it. Twenty years of keeping Ts and I've never lost one to a bad moult yet and I know I pay next to zero attention to humidity. Moist substrate for those that like it or slings because they do dessicate easily? yes, actual humidity? never.

EDIT: I'm not saying mine is the best method of keeping Ts, but if humidity was really such a critical factor, I should have killed plenty of Ts by now and since I haven't while plenty of people who obsess over it do, I'm guessing whatever contributes to bad moults, ambient humidity isn't it.

Code,
Thanks...I've never been good natured about losing pets..
Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
I think when you keep young slings, you have to keep a Darwinian mindset. Some of them will make it, some of them just won't. After raising some slings from eggsac to 1", I believe that there is a certain ratio of young that fail to thrive no matter what you do for them. I've had similar experiences with tadpoles.

Sorry about your loss.
Thanks Galeo.....:)

Peace,
Gillian

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Code,
Thanks...I've never been good natured about losing pets..
Peace,
Gillian
I can sympathize. I DO sympathize. My condolences, Gillian. The tendency is always to blame one's self, but I too have seen that some slings simply fail to thrive in any circumstances, and chances are your care had nothing to do with it.

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
I can sympathize. I DO sympathize. My condolences, Gillian. The tendency is always to blame one's self, but I too have seen that some slings simply fail to thrive in any circumstances, and chances are your care had nothing to do with it.

Joy

Joy,
Thank you. The fact that there are people out there who have gone through this, and have the understanding of the pain involved, make my loss alot easier to bear. No matter how long I'm in this hobby, every death will hurt as keenly as the first.

Peace,
Gillian

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss. We lost a guyana pinktoe that we have had for over a year, and again for no apparent reason. She was one of our first spiders. I guess that is just a part of life. But I have to tell you it breaks my heart when they die. They get to the point where they are like a dog or cat. You get attached. At least I do. Take care, Pam

scarkro

Arachnopeon
hey sorry to hear about the loss...i lost 2 blue fang slings already and im trying my third out now one was 2wks in my possession the other 4 days so i know how u feel constantly asking what i did wrong but like someone already posted some times they live sometime they die

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
pamandron & scarko,
Thank you..*g* Its true, they do become like dogs & cats...

Peace,
Gillian