Lost a tarantula

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, my two day search for an escapee ended today, I found my red color phase G. rosea quite dead, from a ruptured abdomen. I am now in the process of moving my collection into my bedroom, where I can keep them safe from my new, 'inquisitive' cat. This was my only rosea, and being the red color form really added to her appeal.

I feel just awful, I should have seen it coming. This is the first cat I've had in several years, and I guess my memories of how troublesome they can be had dimmed somewhat. I'll certainly take precautions from here on out.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm really sorry that happened:( The RCF is a beautiful form and I'm sure she was. New legs;new wings.
I have a cat but my spiders are kept in heavy glass tanks and/or up high out of reach. I'm sure that's the last spider your kitty gets a hold of:)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry for you loss.I also had an escapee just last night.I transfered my freshly molted A.versi into a new much larger enclosure, I had just made for it.which went just fine I put it up for the night and went to bed. this morning I woke up and went to check on him to find the door to the enclosure slightly open and my baby no where to be found I started to tear the house apart to look for it. I looked up on the wall and there it was.See I'm an artist that makes plants of wire and have been doing so for well over a decade. I have a particularly life like piece hanging above my T's and that is where my little arboreal had chosen to web all night man was I relieved. He's back home today and in a safe spot out of reach. Again I feel your pain and hope you need never endure that again.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh no :( How awful! I'm sorry :( How big was he/she? I have quite a lot of what I believe are red phase slings if you want one :)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
AudreyElizabeth, Sorry to hear about your rosea and certainly sympathize there. I've pretty much entirely written off my female pulchra that escaped several months ago. It definitely left me in a bad mood for quite some time :(

Terry

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh I'm sorry about your T :(

I feel your pain, I have six cats and I do tray to be very careful.
I know that if one of my Ts ever escapes there is no hope that the cats won't harm it, if they find it.
Cats are very attracted to movement, so I try to keep the cats our of my T room when I'm feeding them.
They go nuts when they see a cricket, and I don't want them to knock down an enclosure because they see a cricket in there.

They can't help their cat nature so I try to keep everyone safe, but I know that even to the most careful keeper this can happen to anyone. :(

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh no :( How awful! I'm sorry :( How big was he/she? I have quite a lot of what I believe are red phase slings if you want one :)
She was about 3.5 to 4 inches. Sexed via molt about 4 weeks ago :(

I was really hoping to find her alive, I'm not sure if she was injured in the fall or from the cat, since it happened while I was asleep. Either way, you can't blame a cat for being a cat, I just should have taken the precautions before bringing a little free-range predator into the house. Honestly it makes me feel like a dolt.

Thanks for the condolences guys. My friends and family don't really understand why I would be upset over losing a spider, so I thought I'd share it here.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sometimes things like that don't occur to us... WE get along just fine with everything in our house, but the part where everything in our house might not get on with each other just fine sometimes evades us :(

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*hugs Audrey*

We know what you mean hon.
We all love our 8-legged babies.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the offer Teal; I really appreciate it, but I'm going to pick up another at the next expo. Maybe I'll get get lucky and find another RCF.

Thanks again everyone.