Lost a sling today, need answers please...

Baby T

Arachnoknight
So about three months ago I lost a Nhandu tripepii to what I believe was not enough ventilation. It was pretty small so the ventilation holes were very, very narrow like what's on the cup in the photo. I thought it was fine, it was eating and drinking normally and then when I went to water it one day I saw it had passed. I also figured it was okay since the substrate wasn't overly damp so it shouldn't create too much moisture in and around the tarantula but it still died and that's my best reckoning as to the reason why. Even with the pinprick holes and lots of them, there still isn't enough air flow for the spider. Better to put it in something with an in-between size hole that is bigger than the absolute smallest of the small but not so huge that the T can get its carapace through.
I did actually consider this... The guy was so tiny I just wanted to make sure the holes weren't too big for him to escape or get stuck in.
Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Another mistake that could've been easily rectified 😔

Don’t be devastated- it’s not like you owned it for 30 yrs
Or 30 days!! Was just excited to see this one grow up. Think they look stunning

It’s mp4 format video file of my sling.
[/QUOT
Thanks just watched it on my computer instead

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
yup. or some get unseen micro tears during molt and die from that (and that can happen a couple days post molt)

Baby T

Arachnoknight
yup. or some get unseen micro tears during molt and die from that (and that can happen a couple days post molt)
Hi
It all seems in line.I have 5 slings of those.I dont give mine a hide but let them web up one.In that tub you can easily fit a small waterdish as slings are more easily dehydrated if the enclosure dries out too much.I like also feeding them every 3 - 4 days cricket hatchlings .
It could be just a weak sling
Pics of my setup.
View attachment 360434
Old house 1oz deli pot new house 4oz deli pot
Kept substrate moist at all times while in the small pots.Will do half moist half dry in the new one as waterdish is in place now.
Hope it helps.
Regards Konstantin
I was just looking at the holes you have for ventilation in the smaller enclosure. Would you say they were pin sized holes? I considered the fact mine were too small and there wasn't enough air flow... Thanks for the pics btw
Micro tears?!

Tbh
most terrestrial slings have very little oxygen requirements I have kept mine in the small pots(1oz) on the picture with 4 pin holes on the lid and another 6-8 around the rim and have mine kept considerably more moist substrate than yours look in the pics and they do fine.I also drop water on the web every time I feed.I keep all my terrestrial slings same.
As long you are not getting lots of condensation on the side of the pot you are doing it right with the ventilation.
More holes will allow the enclosure to dry faster and will need adding water more often in order to prevent them getting dehydrated that is often why they die.
Your setup as I said looks fine.
Im with Jess about if it has not webbed at all in a week max sth was wrong with it in the first place.Mine are in the new homes 24 hours and have lots of web down.They are really active little buggers.
Dont beat yourself about it.Im sure you will have better luck with your next one.
Regards Konstantin

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Sorry to hear, I know your we’re excited about it ☹. I keep Mine the way you had kept yours since ours were about the same size. It’s odd that it hadn’t webbed though. Don’t let it discourage you and hope you do find another.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Thanks to all. Bad luck it is. I'll suck it up and get on with T collecting! 🙂