Lost a Leg

Zi99yStardust

Arachnopeon
My Avic Avic (about 1 and 1/2 years old) lost its leg about 2 weeks ago. There was no blood, and (s)he stumbled a bit at first, but soon recovered. Now it won't move or eat, and there appears to be blood around the joints. I was told by the pet store that it was a female, but I am unsure myself. A person who collects Ts told me it was probably a male, and was at the end of it's life. I'm worried (s)he is in pain. Does anyone know what could possibly be happening and what I can do? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Pics would help a lot. If the palps look swollen and like "boxing gloves" rather than just shorter legs than it is a mature male. To stop the leak you can use many things (super glue or liquid bandaid etc.) As for the pain, know one really knows unless someone has been a tarantula and came back to tell about it (wouldn't that be interesting?). All of these questions can be answered via the search. Welcome to the hobby and pick up a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide!

Zi99yStardust

Arachnopeon
Pics would help a lot. If the palps look swollen and like "boxing gloves" rather than just shorter legs than it is a mature male. To stop the leak you can use many things (super glue or liquid bandaid etc.) As for the pain, know one really knows unless someone has been a tarantula and came back to tell about it (wouldn't that be interesting?). All of these questions can be answered via the search. Welcome to the hobby and pick up a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide!
Thanks. It's definitely a female. The blood on her joints isn't flowing anymore. It has just dried over. I feel that this injury has been caused by a fall inside her cage but the branches and other items are not high off the bottom. It would have been difficult for her to fall from a great height.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Make sure there is plenty of water. How big is it?

Zi99yStardust

Arachnopeon
Really? I just looked at her palps and they look so much like a female's. But I guess it's possible.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you could post some pics of her/him, and the injuries, it would be helpful in the long run. Pics of the enclosure might be a good idea too.