Losses

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it appears that we've finally gotten past the dreaded white mystery fungus that invaded my collection; it's been two weeks since the final death. I lost a total of 16 slings in all, even after putting everyone on paper towels in new containers and sterilizing my equipment in a friend's autoclave. I got rid of all feeders except for the roaches since my smaller slings don't get those.

It never appeared on or killed any of my ts that were over one inch in length, so I think it may have been something in the beef heart I was using to feed the little guys. I threw it all out and have gone back to smashing crickets for the survivors.

I'm still wondering what it was exactly because it looked like a fungus, but attacked both tropical and desert species equally. I'm thinking it may have been bacterial.

Is there anyone I could have sent a specimen to for them to look at? I'm still pretty depressed about the whole thing.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Galeo...I am so sorry about what happened. There are people on the ATS_enthusiast Yahoo group that, if you could have preserved something, sent it to them to dissect.
Someone is working on nematode infestations in tarauntulas, and probably could have identified what killed the slings.
I also suspect a food source, as I can't imagine what else it could have been.
Where is that baby...BTW????!!!
Holley

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Where is that baby...BTW????!!!
Holley
We're in negotiations still, no luck so far. Considering taking up extreme sports in the meantime. ;)

As to the slings, I'm pretty sure it was the beef heart because that is the only common denominator with the ones I lost. It looked and smelled fine, but I'm betting it had some kind of bacteria that passed on to my slings.

Couldn't have happened at a worse time, either, I have no way to replace any of them until I can start working again post-baby. *sigh*

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
16 slings?! i cant imagine how you feel. ive only lost 2 so far, and i have 2 left with mold around thier mouths. never fed them beef brains though, just crushed crix and diced mealworms. the two are still on the opposite side of th house from my spider room, and ill never forget the night i was up till 2 am digging up T's and sterilizing enclosures. the remaining 2 uninfected slings from the same group still show no signs of mold, in fact i believe they are in premoult.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had something very similar happen to me not that long ago. I lost 6 adults in a week and traced it to some bad crickets. They had a funny smell to them and I should have known better... but I figured if the crickets were still alive then it couldnt be that bad for the T... stupid mistake yes but I have learned from it.

Sorry about the loss I know how hard it is.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
first off, let me tell you how sorry i am to hear about your massive loss.

secondly, let me tell you how much i agree with holley asking you to preserve a sling or two and sending them away for an autopsy. then your spiderlings will not have died in vain, but rather died so that other slings could live!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
sorry...

sorry to hear that, 16 slings! What kinds? My codolences! Hope you feel better! I only had 1 sling die on me and it was a really bad feeling for me, 16! wow! i feel your pain! Good Luck!

James

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
I have no way to replace any of them until I can start working again post-baby. *sigh*
Paige,
What kind of slings did you have?

Peace,
Gillian

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is a terrible amount of slings to lose since even one sucks, my sincere sympathy for the losses. If I lost 16 slings, I wouldn't have any left.

Hopefully this tale gives people some food for thought with feeding dead prey whose precise freshness isn't known. While I can't conceive of what fresh beef heart would contain that could do this, it's still something to keep in mind.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
So sorry about your losses. My deepest condolences.

Joy