Loss of my Mombasa P. murinus

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've lost tarantulas due to a number of reasons, but I thought I would post this because very seldom is it heard about. I lost my big 5-6" Mombasa P. murinus girl yesterday and I'm quite upset. I had bred her back on 06/05, and at the time, I saw the insertion and right afterwards when the male pulled out, she collapsed. At the time she didn't move for 5 minutes and she laid at an awkward angle. I thought she was dead, so I picked up the container and she suddenly revived herself; however, she was never the same after that. She refused to eat, and I watched her go downhill, despite all of my efforts to put her into ICU etc. A friend of mine came over and also helped, but to no avail. We couldn't figure out what was wrong. Upon postmortem, my friend and I checked her out and we discovered a small hole above the epigastric furrow. Apparently, the male had stabbed her in the wrong place. She must have been leaking small amounts of hemolymph which we did not see. My friend mentioned to me how he had lost a female from mating once because the male's embolus had broken off into the female. So, mating is not only hazardous to the male, but it can be to the female as well. I was wondering how many other people have lost their females due to mating problems?

Attachments

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh, that sucks....I am so sorry for your loss......rob

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that. That is really sad, I had no idea there was a risk like that to the female when mating :(

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I, too, had no clue that this could happen. :eek:
Thank you for sharing this information; though I can't for the life of me figure a way to prevent it?
Any ideas?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This thread should be moved to the Questions and Discussions forum.
Mods? :)

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I, too, had no clue that this could happen. :eek:
Thank you for sharing this information; though I can't for the life of me figure a way to prevent it?
Any ideas?
I don't think there is a way to prevent it.

Either way, I thought it should be shared so people can be informed.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats such a beautiful tarantula. Sorry for your loss. I never heard of this happening before.

John

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss.

This is very interesting info though. Its a heads up thing as well, if something unusual is noticed post mating, this is one thing to look for.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry for your loss. thank you for that info, never knew aswell..