losing another millipede:(

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
I wish all of my posts here werent about my dead millis. idk what it is, but I cannot seem to keep this hardy species alive. I went into my narceus gordanus tank to mix a bit of water into the soil and found my smoky ghost millipede doing the dreaded C pose. Granted, I did get this millipede from a site through amazon, and it does have a strange dark band near its head so there definitely couldve been a preexisting condition. My other smoky oak millipede is still going strong as far as I know. also, I know limpback did not kill this milipede as I have been very careful to keep the tank dry save for a damp lower layer of substrate. I feel very guilty as this will be my third millipede death. I think I feel sad when they die because they are so big, and I need to forgive myself because I am a beginner still. It's hard to keep them as pets because they cannot be fixed once they're sick. They are injured or hurt and they die. I am terrible with these lovely pedes. My isopod colony is thriving however, so I know my invertibre husbandry isnt all bad. Also, tbh, I am not sure how old this millipede was. I think if I keep milis again I will work with a smaller, easier to breed species like bumblebees. here is a picture of my dying bug:

Attachments

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
When I was a beginner with millipedes, I often had similar experiences with wild caught individuals. Now I only keep captive bred specimens which has eliminated this issue. However, you’re in the US, so the millipede didn’t experience the transport like an African species for example, so I don’t think you’d have the same issues with locally wild caught specimens.

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
When I was a beginner with millipedes, I often had similar experiences with wild caught individuals. Now I only keep captive bred specimens which has eliminated this issue. However, you’re in the US, so the millipede didn’t experience the transport like an African species for example, so I don’t think you’d have the same issues with locally wild caught specimens.
Yeah, idk 🤷🏼‍♂️ Its cagematr seems as healthy as ever, and was bought from bugs in cyberspace, so honestly I'm starting to think I just received a smoky ghost millipede that wasnt in wonderful shape. it's still a shame however.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
try getting CBs from a local breeder, you can never know what a WC individual has been through

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sorry for your loss. As others have said, captive bred specimens from reputable sellers are the way to go if you don't want these random die-offs.

We have likely discussed this before, but what is your substrate composed of?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
I wish all of my posts here werent about my dead millis. idk what it is, but I cannot seem to keep this hardy species alive. I went into my narceus gordanus tank to mix a bit of water into the soil and found my smoky ghost millipede doing the dreaded C pose. Granted, I did get this millipede from a site through amazon, and it does have a strange dark band near its head so there definitely couldve been a preexisting condition. My other smoky oak millipede is still going strong as far as I know. also, I know limpback did not kill this milipede as I have been very careful to keep the tank dry save for a damp lower layer of substrate. I feel very guilty as this will be my third millipede death. I think I feel sad when they die because they are so big, and I need to forgive myself because I am a beginner still. It's hard to keep them as pets because they cannot be fixed once they're sick. They are injured or hurt and they die. I am terrible with these lovely pedes. My isopod colony is thriving however, so I know my invertibre husbandry isnt all bad. Also, tbh, I am not sure how old this millipede was. I think if I keep milis again I will work with a smaller, easier to breed species like bumblebees. here is a picture of my dying bug:
YALLLLLLLL OMG THE MILIPEDE IS ALIVE. THIS GUY WAS FREAKING SHEDDING?@? I was keeping him in a little seperate container filled with dirt as I was eating to bury him, and I kept putting it off for some reason. today I look in, and his whole exoskeleton is beside him! I gently scooped up his soft body and put him back in his enclosure with some dirt and his exoskeleton skeleton. I am beyond happy. so glad I trusted my gut ^^

isopodluvr

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your loss. As others have said, captive bred specimens from reputable sellers are the way to go if you don't want these random die-offs.

We have likely discussed this before, but what is your substrate composed of?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Check my update this little dude rose from the grave!!! My substrated is dirt from outside that has been baked in the oven, rotting leaves and wood that has also been sanitized. I usually mix in some eggshells and/or calcium