Los Angeles Museum of Natural History - Spider Pavilion

akarikuragi

Arachnosquire
So for those of you who live in Southern California, I HIGHLY recommend this exhibit. If you've ever been to a "butterfly" house it's basically the same thing... But with spiders. Really, REALLY big spiders (and some little ones too). You get to get up close and personal with some of the most beautiful orb weavers I've ever seen. It is such a unique experience, way different than I thought it would be. I was a bit apprehensive at first, after all there is literally spiders EVERYWHERE. The more your eyes adjust to them the more you see them. Giant webs spanning across the enclosure with equally giant spiders (mainly the Nephila maculata) were the first things to catch my attention. Around here I don't see more than the little one in orb weavers, so to see these guys was really something else. I had a blast and I really cannot recommend this enough.

It's not open until September which gives you plenty of time to mark you calendars!!!! I certainly can't wait to go back. :3 Also bring your camera so you can take lots of photos!

Some photos I took the last time I went:

Nephila calvipes

Nephila maculata

Unsure about the species!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I often wonder why Clavipes wears those leg warmers.

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
My boyfriend and I went last year and it was incredible! Probably one of the best dates I've ever had in my life. It was amazing walking through and seeing all the spiders, egg sacs, and they were huge! I definitely recommend this exhibit and we are going back this year.