Lori's Frogs

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a petco gift card for my birthday from my college roomate. So I used it as an excuse to get these beauties. They are Cuban Tree Frogs.

They are on a mix of coco fiber and vermiculite. I hate how it sticks to them. I have them in an exoterra cube with a large water dish for them in one corner. The coco hut was in just laying around so I put that in there too. They mostly burrow when they want to hide though. I do need to find them some good branches though.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vermiculite is a bad idea with frogs. They can easily ingest it when they are eating crickets or whatever you feed them and it is NOT digestible. It will lead to impaction and death. However, coco fiber is the best substrate for them, just need to use no vermiculite next time. Cool frogs.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are cute! You're not worried that the big one may eat the little one? :eek:

I think I saw some of these on my Petco run the other day, but I was really interested in the White's or Dumpy's. I still may go back and get those, if they still have them. I love their silly little faces. :)

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip on the vermiculite! I will take it out as soon as I can get another brick of fiber. As in when it stops snowing! :) They are my first frogs, so any and all advice is appreciated and will be heeded. I dont want to risk anything! Now, if I bake my coco/vermiculite mix do you think it will be okay to use in a tarantula's tank or with my crickets or roaches? Or should I just retire it to potting soil and start fresh to be on the safe side. Waste not want not right?

And, no I am not too worried about the bigger one eating the little one because the little one in reality doesnt look as small as the picture looks. The big one likes to burrow more and the little one likes hanging out on the surface. I keep them fairly well fed (I think) so if there is cannibalism then it will be more of a territorial thing. I got a not so good frog book when I bought them. It had next to nil on advice for these guys. I might return the book and use it to buy a better one at powells...

And, No Mike I am not naming one of them Fidel. I don't know what it is about you and communist leaders... Instead one is going to be Smirnoff, and the other Jackie D in honor of my 21st birthday.

Last edited:

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah theres no worry of one eating the other. I usually use the "used" coco fiber for a cricket egg laying substrate, and I add a little bit of play sand. I don't see why you couldn't reuse it for housing invertebrates if it doesn't smell to bad. I have never baked it so I can't offer any advice there.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear from some frog experienced people that there's no threat of them eating each other. Everything I've read in care sheets and various sites have said otherwise... that's why I asked. :)

Do you have any idea if White's or Dumpy's are communal frogs or prefer living alone? If more than one, is it the same rule as far as "one male and a few females" or would that be different also? (sorry for hijacking to ask)

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup they can be kept together. They are rather large frogs and do need a large enclosure. I wouldn't keep one in anything less than a 20 gallon, and if you get more than one then you want something larger than a 20 gallon. My friend has 3 in a 55 gallon.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm not mistaken. cuban tree frog. ~3 inches long. ate pinkies.
Id have to see that with my own eyes to believe it. Thats like some kid on another forum telling me he hybridized house crickets with grasshoppers and he calls the new hybrid crikoppers.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
here's the cuban tree frog in question eating a cricket.

[YOUTUBE]-j9dOnLODZU[/YOUTUBE]

and here's my smaller white's tree frog eating a pinkie.

[YOUTUBE]jGFOF2L2bUM[/YOUTUBE]

gee, pretty farfetched.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well you said the cuban tree frog is eating a cricket, and the White's is eating a pinky (the pictures didn't load on my cpu). So wheres a pic of the cuban eating a pinky. Yes it is pretty far fetched.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Similar sized frogs are likely able to take similar sized prey. We do not need this needless critisism in this thread, please take it somewhere else.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They have a hard enough time eating something that is not much bigger than the distance between their eyes. Eating something that is the size of their head, or larger, is like saying my cat can swallow a rabbit.

If they are both full grown, then the larger one is most likely female, and the smaller one is most likely male.

Last edited: