Loose substrate a bad thing?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
Recently I heard that Avics and other tree dwellers (Who occasionally climb down) do not like loose substrate and in some cases will avoid walking on it. Someone told me to pack the substrate down a little to make it more firm and less loose...

Is this true? Do arboreal pets not like walking on loose substrate when they climb down from the trees?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
No tarantulas like loose substrate. They probably don't like how it shifts under them and so they'll find somewhere solid, like a hide. I once saw a guy at a show selling tarantulas, and all of them were on gravel. The slings were clinging to the side of the enclosures and the larger ones just cleared out a corner and huddled on the bare plastic.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have never ever tamped down the sub in any of my enclosures and have never had a problem. Maybe it is because I use top soil rather than coco fibre?

boina

Lady of the mites
I have never ever tamped down the sub in any of my enclosures and have never had a problem. Maybe it is because I use top soil rather than coco fibre?
Yes. Top soil is heavier that coco earth and settles by itself when you pour it in. Coco earth needs to be pushed down.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have 8 legs, would you like loose substrate?? :smug:

cold blood

Staff member
Totally different, top soil is dense, so you don't want to tamp it down....if you do it practically hardens like concrete.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Yep, it is the same thing I have witnessed many times over. Tarantulas of all types turn their nose up and wander for days due to loose substrate. I have seen it less an less with my newer mix. It still has coco bedding in it, but on top of that it has a higher amount of topsoil, sand, and peat. Other setups that tend to work for me without pressing the mix down is coco bedding at about only 25% to 75% sand. The sand though is collected from a local river bank and it super fine like glitter with fantastic den holding capabilities. Yes it is washed multiple times before using. I initially discovered it as a good substrate for burrowing while trying to find a good sand for my yellow ackie monitors. Since I collected a few truckloads I had plenty to experiment with various other substrates. The same effect can be replicated with very fine pool filter sand. Do not use the heavier grain sand it just does not have the same capabilities as the very fine glitter grade sands.