Loose spider

Merry

Arachnopeon
I have an ornamental baboon tarantula, I was changing his water, had his small enclosure in a larger tote, he was in his hide, dispite my precautions he bolted, I have has no luck finding him yet, I need to know what I should do if I happen to get bit, I also have a dog I'm worried about, he is still a small spider, please help, I'm trying to find him are there any tricks to drawing him out.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, no 'insider tricks' to share. Just search, search, search. That's the only thing to do. In a room may exist an helluva of places to hide, and the size of your spider doesn't help in that (obviously, example: A huge 0.1 L. parahybana is more easy to pinpoint).
Good luck :)

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
I assume you’re talking about Heteroscodra maculata? This tarantula has one of the most powerful venom of any tarantula. No human has ever died from a T’s bite but it will be very painful if you are bitten. Read through some bite reports. If your dog is bitten I believe that could be fatal, but I may be wrong. Look in any and every dark place. Closets, under the bed, small crevices, etc. I’d recommend leaving the enclosure open near where it bolted, it may recognize its den and return. Keep your dog away from the room where it bolted.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What is an ornamental baboon?, that’s an awful common name lol all I know by this is it has significant venom.

it’s not super important here the advice is all going to be the same “search until you find it” but try and always use their official Latin names - Genus and Species.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You saw it bolt out of the enclosure? Are you 100% sure it didn't go into its secluded spot when you weren't looking? If it got out you need to airtight that room. Then search the bajeezus out of it. Wear gloves please. And always have a catch cup. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules on this type of situation as most of us are on the ounce of prevention side. If you have room mates let them know.

rock

Arachnoknight
Search everywhere, especially up high, especially at night. I had a P. striata loose in my apartment for about a month and wound up finding it on my kitchen ceiling one morning around 3am. I may not have seen it if my cat wasn't staring at it and trilling, it was around 5" so you will have a harder time than me. You could put out sticky traps, but that will likely kill the spider. Although I did once read a story about a guy who pulled all the legs off of a spider and hand fed/watered it until it molted and started to regenerate. Good luck in any case, I hope you, the spider, and the dog wind up just fine

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
What ive seen so far on the forum,quite a bit of the escapees were hiding in between folded clothing. So don't forget to check where you keep your clothes :)

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Set up piles of clothes in corners and carefully search them with a catch cup handy the next morning. Also whatever the warmest darkest places are in the room.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
Lost my >1" H. mac and found it in the gap between wall and floor. Keep looking until you find it, it usually don't leave the room it's in.

Merry

Arachnopeon
I have an ornamental baboon tarantula, I was changing his water, had his small enclosure in a larger tote, he was in his hide, dispite my precautions he bolted, I have has no luck finding him yet, I need to know what I should do if I happen to get bit, I also have a dog I'm worried about, he is still a small spider, please help, I'm trying to find him are there any tricks to drawing him out.
STILL NOT FOUND YET. ugh I'm so sad, he is so small, trying trying looking and looking, so many hiding places,

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
STILL NOT FOUND YET. ugh I'm so sad, he is so small, trying trying looking and looking, so many hiding places,
I really hoped someone would have an answer that worked. A serious last ditch risky effort is to buy sticky traps from Walmart. Catchmaster specifically. Have olive oil or mild soapy water solution in hand always. Place them alongside the baseboards and near hiding spots. Check daily. You can bait with feeders or just water. If you catch it, put a tiny amount of oil or soap water to release the spider from sticky trap. DO NOT put enough to go past it's first leg joint.
I've done this for a few roaches that somehow got out past barriers on walls they can't even climb. Holler at one of us if you do get it so we get the notification.
Edit: I say olive oil because it is a base oil most countries are familiar with. Regular cheap veg oil will work the same. Not sure if you have easy access to it though.