Looking to get Nebo whitei and Mesobuthus macmahoni. What would be the venom like for these particular species?

Koifish05

Arachnopeon
I have some experience with arachnids like with Brachypelma boehmei and Heterometrus spinifer but i'm looking to get something a bit more interesting. What would the venom be like for the species I mentioned? I'm only 14 so I'm looking to get something with mild venom. Currently shopping on Tarantula canada so if the species i mentioned are to venomous I'm open to more recommendations. Thanks.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Nebo whitei=Diplocentridae. Probably fine. The other is a buthid, which means it’s hot. Consider a Hadrurus species. They’re quite active, easy to care for, and arid unlike the tropical scorps you’re used to. They’re actually easier to care for than Heterometrus species because they don’t need higher “humidity levels” for lack of a better term. Basically keep them bone dry with a water dish. They live longer too if I’m not mistaken. Another one of my favorites is the Opistophthalmus glabrifrons. I have one and they are arid burrowers like the Hadrurus, but they’re orange and they stridulate.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I've heard most of the Nebo genus are mild, other one being a buthid is probably hot.

I keep neither and have never been stung/bitten though

Koifish05

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately the
store i'm looking to buy from <edit> doesn't have many non lethal scorps for sale which is why i can't get hadrurus as one of you suggested. I'm fine with strong venomed species just nothing lethal (pretty easy to not get stung as i just have to use long tongs but accidents can still happen). Kinda 50/50 with that mesobuthus though as 2 other people have said that it's not a terribly hot species and you guys are saying that it's hot. Are you guys sure that I shouldn't get it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
store i'm looking to buy from <edit> doesn't have many non lethal scorps for sale which is why i can't get hadrurus as one of you suggested. I'm fine with strong venomed species just nothing lethal (pretty easy to not get stung as i just have to use long tongs but accidents can still happen). Kinda 50/50 with that mesobuthus though as 2 other people have said that it's not a terribly hot species and you guys are saying that it's hot. Are you guys sure that I shouldn't get it?
It’s a buthid. A lot of times it’s uncertain if the sting is fatal or just excruciatingly painful, because of the lack of studies done on venom potency. This is why closely related scorps are usually what they’re compared to. I couldn’t tell you for sure, but it’s always best to be on the safe side and assume the possibility for a fatal sting from a buthid is high.

If the people that told you that can show you any scientific evidence proving their claims, believe them. If they can’t, assume the possibility is there.

Being the age you are, I’d highly recommend against any hot scorpions.

Peeking at the site, your best bet is the Nebo or Heterometrus species. Steer clear of Hottentotta, Androctonus, Leiurus, Tityus, and Parabuthus.

I’ve read that Uroplectes fischeri and Orthochirus innesi dont have fatal stings either. But I’m uncertain and encourage you to plug their names in the search function.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
store i'm looking to buy from (Tarantula canada) doesn't have many non lethal scorps for sale which is why i can't get hadrurus as one of you suggested. I'm fine with strong venomed species just nothing lethal (pretty easy to not get stung as i just have to use long tongs but accidents can still happen). Kinda 50/50 with that mesobuthus though as 2 other people have said that it's not a terribly hot species and you guys are saying that it's hot. Are you guys sure that I shouldn't get it?
there are 2 Nebo and 2 Heterometrus on tarcan rn and arachnophilaics has Hadurus arizonensis and Smeringurus vachoni

Koifish05

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help and recommendations. Guess i'll just stick to less venomous things for now.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I’ve read that Uroplectes fischeri and Orthochirus innesi dont have fatal stings either. But I’m uncertain and encourage you to plug their names in the search function.
Yes, those are pretty mild for Buthidae standards.
Mesobuthus spp. are a bit more variable in their venom. Although usually not fatal, I don’t know for Mesobuthus macmahoni. Better to not risk it if you aren’t comfortable enough.
Most bark scorpion species (Centruroides, Lychas, Heteroctenus) also have mild venom compared to many other Buthids. Stay away from most Tityus species though, which can be very potent despite being bark scorpions. Bark scorpions are my favorites.