Looking to get an obt sling

VikingRaptor90

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking about getting an obt and I'm doing my due diligence and researching everything I can about them. Any obt owners on here wanna give me some tips or info on them?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +

VikingRaptor90

Arachnopeon
What lead you to this specific tarantula specie?

What have you learned so far?

What do you want to learn about them?
I love the orange and blue coloring of them. I know they're fast and have a slightly unjust bad reputation as being super aggressive and quick to bite. I've seen tom moran's care video and Tarantula collectives care videos and actually printed toms care sheet out. I would like to know other people's experiences with the obt.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking about getting an obt and I'm doing my due diligence and researching everything I can about them. Any obt owners on here wanna give me some tips or info on them?
I've had three over the years. Semi-fossorial, semi-arboreal. They are bolty and extremely fast when young. Even with sling, don't pressure them too much or they will run. Really good eaters, that will sometimes eat too much for their own good while young. Their temperament is legendary, but no worse than an Asian arboreal, so just give them a wide berth and you will be 100% fine. Two threat postures is too much. Just let it calm down. Also good webbers, but to be honest, my Usambara just has a sock web in the corner of a large enclosure and doesn't venture from there unless at night or to drink. Keep the enclosure dry, on medium substrate, and the T will be happy. Some say the slings prefer a damp corner, but I've never had problems keeping slings dry with a water bowl.

Last edited:

VikingRaptor90

Arachnopeon
I've had three over the years. Semi-fossorial, semi-arboreal. They are bolty and extremely fast when young. Even with sling, don't pressure them too much or they will run. Really good eaters, that will sometimes eat too much for their own good while young. Their temperament is legendary, but no worse than an Asian arboreal, so just give them a wide berth and you will be 100% fine. Two threat postures is too much. Just let it calm down. Also good webbers, but to be honest, my Usambara just has a sock web in the corner of a large enclosure and doesn't venture from there unless at night or to drink. Keep the enclosure dry, on medium substrate, and the T will be happy.
Any time I get a threat pose from any of my NW T's or my scorpion i stop the spot maintenance or watering, close the lid and give it a few hours before I go back and finish. I usually give them a small cricket or roach as a treat when I'm done.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I love the orange and blue coloring of them.
I see.

II know they're fast
All tarantulas are fast if they want to.

have a slightly unjust bad reputation as being super aggressive and quick to bite.
It depends how you treat them honestly.

Yes they are pretty defensive, but remember, you are the threat itself.

Quick to bite, not at all, but do not tempt it.

I've seen tom moran's care video and Tarantula collectives care videos and actually printed toms care sheet out.
Watching videos about them helps, but owning / having one is totally different story. If you never had any tarantulas before, I would highly recommend to go with New World tarantulas first.

I would like to know other people's experiences with the obt.
I have three of them:
  • Pterinochilus murinus
  • Pterinochilus murinus (DCF, Kigoma)
  • Pterinochilus murinus (DCF, Botswana)
  1. It’s a heavy webber, thus you want to provide an enclosure with that in mind.
  2. It’s also a heavy digger, thus you want to provide enough substrates.
  3. Keep it dry.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I know they're fast and have a slightly unjust bad reputation as being super aggressive and quick to bite. I've seen tom moran's care video and Tarantula collectives care videos and actually printed toms care sheet out.
Remember that just because Tom's is calm yours might not be. Giving them respect and space will reduce the likelihood of issues, but as with any T each specimen will vary and you could get a little orange spitfire.

Read as much as you can on here. Tom's info is good but shouldn't be your only source. Use the search. There's more information in the archives than you'll get as a response on this post.

I've only had one for a few months. It's a small juvie. I moistened part of the sub when it was a sling, partly as a caution but mostly because I couldn't fit a dish in. Now I just keep the dish full. I've overfilled it or moistened a corner a few times, but it's never showed a preference to it.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
My favorite t to keep :cool:

IME they burrow extensively as slings, and mine have thrived on dry substrate even when small. Only thing I would have to worry about at this age would be a bolt doing anything with the lid off, but if you’re providing adequate substrate for burrowing you probably won’t see much of them at all.

Once the orange colors start coming out is when being more mindful when doing anything maintenance wise would be beneficial, as this is when they can definitely size you up if you agitate them. I’ve noticed mine become more of a display t at this age as well.

I’m sure you’ve heard about their notorious speed, but IME providing the proper enclosure specs has toned down the stereotypical behavior usually associated with P. murinus

VikingRaptor90

Arachnopeon
Remember that just because Tom's is calm yours might not be. Giving them respect and space will reduce the likelihood of issues, but as with any T each specimen will vary and you could get a little orange spitfire.

Read as much as you can on here. Tom's info is good but shouldn't be your only source. Use the search. There's more information in the archives than you'll get as a response on this post.

I've only had one for a few months. It's a small juvie. I moistened part of the sub when it was a sling, partly as a caution but mostly because I couldn't fit a dish in. Now I just keep the dish full. I've overfilled it or moistened a corner a few times, but it's never showed a preference to it.
I've been reading on here a few other tarantula forums, watching care videos for the last few days to help prepare. I'm actually looking forward to getting one. I only have 3 new worlds but feel ready to try an obt.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think that they have a bit of an exaggerated reputation. More than anything, they are skittish and would much rather hide. They become aggressive/ defensive when they're kept in improper setup with no hiding place to retreat to, and nowhere to make a burrow. They will however, stand their ground and bite if they're cornered, harassed, or defending their burrow. Think about how you would react if a giant monster lifted the roof off your house and started moving things around! Give them adequate substrate to create a burrow, and also some anchor points slightly above the ground to create webbing. They web heavily and create intricate web fortresses. They grow very quickly and males mature fast. Also be aware that just like any tarantula, their temperament can vary significantly between individuals and even between molts. My OBT was very calm and slightly skittish until he molted in a MM, then he became almost what I would call aggressive. Very defensive and wouldn't hesitate to give me a threat posture. Above all else have common sense. Do rehousings in a safe environment and don't put your bare fingers in the enclosure, and you should be OK.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Check out H. Pulchripes as well. I have the H. pulchripes and an obt sling. The pulchripes is a bit more toned down, still skittish, but no where near the teleport speed the obt is on a regular basis. Both were good additions to my collection.

Fed the obt last night and it retreated quickly when I moved the enclosure. As soon as the feeder hit the substraight and before my tongues where out it bolted out of the retreat, got the prey and was back in the hide. Just goes to show you even though they are skittish and may retreat fast, they have no problem bolting out two seconds later.

Don’t rush things, if it looks agitated wait, and other than that it’s a great T IMO.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon

This is what gets me about TBS. I love any and all his videos, they are the bread and butter of keeping, but he is pretty confident when it comes to not always using catch cups. He doesn't use them much. It gives me the jeebies. Don't listen to all the boogieman stuff about a spider you absolutely love and want to keep. If you follow the safety rules like you do gun safety, then you will enjoy the hobby and probably get more spiders than most are comfortable with.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
This is what gets me about TBS. I love any and all his videos, they are the bread and butter of keeping, but he is pretty confident when it comes to not always using catch cups. He doesn't use them much. It gives me the jeebies.
What the heck are you talking about? He always uses catch cups...he's even got cardboard that's cut to the shape of his round catch cups to prevent the Ts from slipping out the side. I don't worship the guy by any means, but I also watch most of his videos and I don't recall ever seeing him not use one - especially for old worlds like this thread is about. I believe he's admitted to very occasionally putting out a hand for a docile NW that's already walking calmly out of the enclosure (H chilensis for sure), but I don't believe he's ever uploaded a video of it. Granted, he does usually remove the cardboard briefly to allow the camera to get a good look at the spider, but he does so cautiously and only if the spider isn't amped up. Not something I do, but I'm also not uploading videos to youtube.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
What the heck are you talking about? He always uses catch cups...he's even got cardboard that's cut to the shape of his round catch cups to prevent the Ts from slipping out the side. I don't worship the guy by any means, but I also watch most of his videos and I don't recall ever seeing him not use one - especially for old worlds like this thread is about. I believe he's admitted to very occasionally putting out a hand for a docile NW that's already walking calmly out of the enclosure (H chilensis for sure), but I don't believe he's ever uploaded a video of it. Granted, he does usually remove the cardboard briefly to allow the camera to get a good look at the spider, but he does so cautiously and only if the spider isn't amped up. Not something I do, but I'm also not uploading videos to youtube.
Sorry, I mean a catch container. Like the thing you reach for when it jumps out of the enclosure and starts booking it across the floor. I know he uses the cups with holes drilled in to move them. I mean the panic button cup/tupperware.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Owned them- a fast, defensive species. Quite striking looking, one of the "few" Ts that stands out immediately due to color alone. Puts out a decent amount of webbing IME.

Respect, don't handle, don't be a helicopter owner

Royalty

Arachnoknight
With the amount they web I like to have a bit more "clearance" for them to web so I am less likely to rip web off the top. (I have a front door now too)

With rehousing it is good to be extra cautious and to keep good practice. Always have a cup nearby. Don't do anything stupid like putting your hands into the enclosure for any reason. Don't tong feed. Pretty much the advice I would give for any T though.

Since they like webbing, consider having some web points in the decor for them.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My sling was out today. Wish I would taken a video, I barely touched the enclosure and in a split second it flew back into its hide four inches away. I swear I saw no legs hit the ground when it split.

VikingRaptor90

Arachnopeon
So I did end up getting an obt sling. The seller I bought it from does "make it a package" deal so I got the sling, enclosure, substrate, decor, 2 weeks worth of feeders. Set it all up misted the sides of the enclosure and successfully housed it with no issues at all. Can't wait till it starts to show the gorgeous orange colors

Craig73

Arachnoangel
So I did end up getting an obt sling. The seller I bought it from does "make it a package" deal so I got the sling, enclosure, substrate, decor, 2 weeks worth of feeders. Set it all up misted the sides of the enclosure and successfully housed it with no issues at all. Can't wait till it starts to show the gorgeous orange colors
Colors start to show pretty early on I think, so you’re wait may be short lived. My RCF had black legs and orange abdomen at .5-.75” and at 1” is a uniform deep orange’ish color on the darker side. In my photos the lighting makes it look a bronze-brownish color. Without light it’s orange for sure.

VikingRaptor90

Arachnopeon
Colors start to show pretty early on I think, so you’re wait may be short lived. My RCF had black legs and orange abdomen at .5-.75” and at 1” is a uniform deep orange’ish color on the darker side. In my photos the lighting makes it look a bronze-brownish color. Without light it’s orange for sure.
Mines brown around 3/4 to 1 inch although it does have a little bit of the blue on it's little feet.