Looking to get a colorful non aggressive T

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
Hey guys!

I own several T's including a Mexican Red Knee, Chaco Golden Knee, Chilean Rose Hair, and Chilean Chopper.......

I am looking for a tarantula that is going to have the same temperments as the ones listed, larger in size but with striking colors....

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay away from Brachys because that seems to be everyones first answer( which is understood!)

I appreciate in recommendations......

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, I've heard they are pretty docile. Awesome colors IMO. Definitely on my list.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus ritae
Cyriocosmus elegans
Holothele incei

Can you please define 'striking colors'?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anything in the Avicularia category, although they don't get terribly huge. Lots of bright fun colors.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys!

I own several T's including a Mexican Red Knee, Chaco Golden Knee, Chilean Rose Hair, and Chilean Chopper.......

I am looking for a tarantula that is going to have the same temperments as the ones listed, larger in size but with striking colors....

Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay away from Brachys because that seems to be everyones first answer( which is understood!)

I'm assuming you're talking about terrestrial NW Ts.

The following are generally larger Ts with striking colors and docile temperaments:

Acanthoscurria species
Nhandu species
Pamphobeteus species
Xenesthis species

Rare Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis species can get very pricey. Note that most female Pamphobeteus species available to the hobby are a drab brown while males can be very colorful such as in Pamphobeteus platyomma.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
colorful new world terrestial tarantulas.....can handle

readily available.....

how about Nhandu chromatus ?

Last edited:

Hanes

Arachnosquire
C.cyaneopubescens is a great choice regarding the striking colours, however some pamphobeteus sp get quite monstrous in size but females are a dull brown, to be honest I think brachys are a good compromise

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I agree about Nhandu, but my fav's are Brachy's. They're a classic, and awesome!

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
Anyone have any personal experience with Nhandu chromatus?

Brachys are a staple but i've got 2 of them and want something a little different....

Helix

Arachnopeon
Anyone have any personal experience with Nhandu chromatus?

Brachys are a staple but i've got 2 of them and want something a little different....
They got nice colours, and beautiful white stripes over the legs. I prefer them over the geniculata.
They grow to a decent size, and and they grow relatively fast.
Also they can be a bit nervous and skittish.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
finding an new world t to handle that is colorful is not going to be easy.

nhandu- while i can handle it took me a while to get them to tolerate it. with out them flicking hairs or striking.
many colorful T's your going to have to get them to get use to handling.
and when you do it still may be itchy.
i itch for days when i handle my chromatus.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
How come no one mentioned Avicularia versicolor? It's the first thing that came to my mind.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Hey guys!

why not b. emilia i love that little black triangle they have... plus there just awsome thiking of getting one my self

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
Ive got a B. Smithi female and a B. Boehmei already....

Just wanting to diversify a little bit....

I dont have the vertical spacing where I keep my other tarantuals for an arboreal type........

I definitely want one I can handle.....

I'm waying heavily on a Nhandu Chromatus because their coloring is astonishing and its temperament seems to be alot like my G. Pulchripes, size as well

I'm still up for educated opinions.....I trust what each of you suggests

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay, if striking colour is relative, i'd go with a pulchra. i know, i know... you said colour, but that all over jet black is more gorgeous than most colourful Ts imo, and they are super chill, and a lot like everything else you own.

you already have a rosea but could always get a rosea RCF.

also, i can't believe i am throwing this out because i haven't been able to find a lot of information about them but... euathlus sp. come in many different colours and from what i have heard and seen ime, seem to fit what you are looking for. they supposedly are relatively docile and easy to care for (similar to rosea requirements), i don't know about adults but my sling eats like a champ too. ken and tarantulas inc. have had them (i think the sp. "blue" aka. "blue femur beauty" and a bunch of other names, and sp. "red" and "chilean flame" on their lists lately).

also, i might be getting the common names wrong... so don't totally go by what i said :p

Last edited:

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
those look pretty cool....never considered those...

Might have to check into those types

Thanks for the input!

Anymore N. chromatus experiences with handling/ temperament?

I am very intrigued with these....I had a cobalt blue that I got rid of recently because it was ridiculously aggressive A.K.A. could not even get near

I'd like something I can handle like the rest of my tarantulas

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about an Aphonopelma sp.? I know there are several species that get fairly colorful & it seems like most are fairly easy to deal with. Like A. bicoloratum & A. moderatum. Although they are colored kind of like Brachys.