looking to breed some scorps, suggestions?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well im looking to breed some scorpions but I cant decide what to breed. Basicily im looking for something thats pretty easy to breed and something with high surviving scorpling rate...any suggestions?

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try Heterometrus or some of the easier Buthids, like Centruroides vitattus or Lychas mucronatus.
I'm still trying to get enough L. mucronatus for a colony, but I have been warned that they breed like crazy.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
C. gracils or B. Jacksoni if you want scorps you'll see. Both of these are larger than C. vitattus (as babies and adults) and easier to raise from 2nd instar.They also mature faster than C. vittatus.
If you don't mind pet holes P. imperator.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Striped Bark Scorpions (Centruroides vittatus) are always an easy breeder... plus they are widely availiable and cheap.... you can keep them in a group setting and they are very "forgiving" captives when it comes to temps, humidity, etc. Extremely easy to sex adults (males have a noticeably longer tail)..... Just my opinion..... The same can be said for about any US centrurodes sp.... plus the sting burns a bit, but nothing too bad (except the AZ bark scorpion...considered much worse...I had muscle spasms in my leg all day after taking a hit... but that was about it).

ellroy

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know if Centruroides vittatus comes under the DWA in the UK?

thanks

Alan

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the suggestions guys, perhaps ill try Centruroides vitattus, i just need to find some at the right price:)

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try Emps, their slings are hard as nails, only problem is the long gestation period, but if your just into the breading cycle then there good, nothing more impresive (size wise) as a heavely gravid Emp.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try Emps, their slings are hard as nails, only problem is the long gestation period, but if your just into the breading cycle then there good, nothing more impresive (size wise) as a heavely gravid Emp.

This is true. I've only lost 2 emp slings todate, and the size the females get just before popping is impressive, but i imaging a heterometrus would be the same.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whatever sp you are interested in. It doesnt matter if its easy or not. Just try

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is true. I've only lost 2 emp slings todate, and the size the females get just before popping is impressive, but i imaging a heterometrus would be the same.
hmm yea i was gonna try emps to start off with but i always hear about the mom eating the young and molting trouble as scorplings...

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've only lost one sling to the mother eating it. The other sling was too weak to make it to the mothers back or was stillborn. I have yet to lose a brood cus the mom ate them, and i begin hand feeding the mother 2 to 3 days after she pops.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yea good point now that i think if it. Is it true S. mesa has never been sucessfully bred in captivity?
I'm not sure about S. mesaensis, but I know H. arizonensis is easy to breed (mate) but raising the scorplings is next to impossible.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
maybe just before impossible :D

ive already bred those H.ariz, then got all scorplings to 3i and some to 5i, bad thing is that most of them died on cannibalism (4i and 5i ate those late molts) due to my limited space, and some to those stupid ants. i have only 1 left out of 13 that poped out.