Looking to branch out in the hobby

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
So far I keep Tarantulas and some darkling beetles for breeding purposes but want to get either a scorpion or centipede next Can someone give me some suggestions preferably someone who keeps all 3 what I should go into next

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
So far I keep Tarantulas and some darkling beetles for breeding purposes but want to get either a scorpion or centipede next Can someone give me some suggestions preferably someone who keeps all 3 what I should go into next
I am probably one of the only members who does not have a tarantula (although I intend to get one every time I go to Repticon). I have both centipedes and scorpions, and I would start with a scorpion. Centipedes are fast little escape artists. Combine that with the fact that the impressive species (especially the cheap ones) have decently potent venom. Scorpions are not as fast, and the larger species in particular are easy to contain.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I am probably one of the only members who does not have a tarantula (although I intend to get one every time I go to Repticon). I have both centipedes and scorpions, and I would start with a scorpion. Centipedes are fast little escape artists. Combine that with the fact that the impressive species (especially the cheap ones) have decently potent venom. Scorpions are not as fast, and the larger species in particular are easy to contain.
I’m used to fast OW Ts and can keep calm under pressure. What would you recommend as a 1st scorpion something quite big and visible, like out to see a lot?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I’m used to fast OW Ts and can keep calm under pressure. What would you recommend as a 1st scorpion something quite big and visible, like out to see a lot?
Try an Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus sp.) or Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus sp.) due to easy availability and they are amazing pets, I lean more strongly towards the Asian Forest. But scorpions will hide alot and are nocturnal hunters too. Meaning the evening time is the best time to catch them prowling about. But a well fed scorpion may transform into a pet hide for varying lengths of time too.

Centipedes can be very very very active at night, running the racetrack and trying to scale the walls but they will also bury themselves in sealed burrows for great lengths of time too. They will simply vanish into the substrate. Yes, they are notorious escape artists, so keep them in deep housing (deeper than their body length) and/or always keep it super secure as they will attempt squeeze and muscle themselves through the tightest spaces especially if you use plastic totes those are especially vulnerable to a centipede escape.

I have kept various Asian giant centipedes and one species of N.A. giant centipede.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
Hadurus arizonensis, pallidus, or spadix are all big and very pretty
Smeringurus mesaensis is a good size vaejovid, very pretty and quite good eaters
Then there is the obvious any Heterometrus sp. or Pandinus sp.
Opistophthalmus glabrifrons is another one up there, but they are slow growers. Very pretty and like a caramel Pandinus or Heterometrus
Hadogenes troglodytes, large size and very cool looking scorps