Looking into T's - got some n00b questions

Skysucka

Arachnopeon
I just very recently became interested in getting a tarantula and i have been reading as much as possible on the internet and on these boards on how to care for them. I'm not really interested in handling them so getting a docile T isn't that big of a deal to me, but I also have never had one so I'm not sure of what to expect. Right now I thinking of possibly getting a greenbottle blue, and I was wondering if anyone who has one could describe their behavior. Are the interesting to watch? And are the easy to take care of? I know they're supposed to be skittish, but does that mean they hide all the time? Really would it be a good first T? I've seen some of the other species that people have sugessted to others as being good first T's, buit they really don't interest me much.

I'm honestly interested in some of the more aggressive breeds like an Usambara. It just seems from what you guys say that the more aggressive breeds have more "personality." Would they be bad to get for a first timer? I mean either way, i don't plan on ever handling any T's I might get, but I just want some advice.

Oh yeah, one last thing:
Since it would be my first time, is it better to buy one thats a "sling" or get one thats 3" or so. Is it that hard to raise them from sling for a beginner?

Thanks for the help!

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well.. my first ever T Was a Rosie, some are like a pet rock, some are pretty active, but their colors are awesome.
Id wait a few months for a GBB.. their Fast..and evil=D
i had my rosie for about 1 month, and i got an usumbara for my second T, Their awesome Ts, Their a bottomless pit, and their fast as hell, But thats the problem.. They can run out of that cage Faasstt..

As with T size.. people say slings are harder to take care of, Because you have to water them alot, but dont drown them, because they can dry out so fast..
Id stick with a Nice 4 inch Rosie..
Get some Experience with Feeding / Watering / Cleaning out the cage and all that stuff and get the feel for it all, Then move up to the Second..and Third..And fourth..=D

Good to have you on the boards:D
Everyone will tell you once you get your first T, Youll never stop buying them (Its true, ive been into T's for 8 months and i have 30 already:rolleyes: )

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
As long as you don't mind getting hairs flicked at you at the drop of a hat, I think you could do well with a GBB. They're not really prone to bite, but my little one flicks hairs at me everytime I open the lid to her container. She's definitely skittish.
Care for the GBB is very simple. They like it pretty dry and room temps should be fine as long as it doesn't drop below 70 degrees. Add a water dish and a place to hide and you're all set! My little one was 1/2" when I got it and it was also my very first sling and she's molting and growing like a weed. I think everybody needs a GBB, they're just awesome.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome at the boards.
My first T was a Poecilotheria formosa. Also not a docile T at the beginning. But I read a lot before I got her and I knew what I had. When I got her she was a between 0,5" and 1". IMO getting an known aggressive T as a first T is not that big deal. But I would talk to experienced T keepers and maybe have a look at the T you want before finally making a decision. There is always somebody around who is keeping this T.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think the biggest thing is what you feel you can handle.

have you ever been around any Ts? handled them? i'd definitely handle a docile one, then maybe a faster docile one, and then see how you feel.

fast Ts are surprising, docile or not. if you go fast and aggressive as your first one, you may be very unpleasantly surprised. :/

my 3" A. avic is very sweet, but when startled bolts like lighting a few inches or so. this is VERY surprising! you almost don't see her move, kind of like when a snake strikes. you almost want to jump just from the shock.

i think it would be best to get some handling experience with a docile T, even if you don't intend to purchase one.

definitely a larger T would be easier to keep. also, read up on the type of containers people keep them in. you want something secure. for a 3" T or so you can have a small-medium kritter keeper with a SHALLOW water bowl. however, any smaller and you don't want a bowl at all b/c the T could drown.

also, some sort of substrate. if it's a burrower, my curly hairs LOVE the repti bark stuff and it holds humidity nicely if you need it.

go look around in some local stores and see what you think. :)

good luck with your decision! if you've never had a T btw, ALL of them are very interesting to watch. they groom like eight-legged cats, very clean, they may or may not web up stuff, may or may not burrow...and then they have their own little personalities. i think all of them are fascinating for different reasons.

i have to say that my curly hairs are not the most beautiful Ts, but it's really, really interesting to watch them burrow and make brand new burrows here and there about their containers. to me at least, that's pretty cool. :)

anyway, good luck, sorry about the novel! :rolleyes:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with skadiwolf. Unless you are weird, a fast tarantula will startle you which in turn would startle the tarantula back which in turn would make things worse. I would personally stay calm and try to apprehend the tarantula before it dashes toward the frige or something and disappears. Unless you're willing to hold a tarantula for the first time, an usambara is not a good choice. They are not that aggressive toward you, but they are lighting fast and can literally grow wings and fly away.

About the sling or the 3 inch issue, I would go for the 3 inch or bigger. Slings are harder to care for if you're a newbie and easier to care for if you know what you're doing. This is because they tend to die quicker if left unattended. Adults tend to be able to take care of themselves more. This is not to say that you should neglect them. But I'm convinced that it takes a while before a person can get into the habit of regularly checking the tarantula pet and make sure there is water in the water dish and the dirt is moist. After all, really small slings require really small prey. Unless your local pet shop have pinhead crickets, you will have to order them. That or use an adult cricket's leg.

I have stated this in earlier posts. I feel strongly about people knowing what they're doing before getting slings. Slings tend to drop like flies if neglected for even a short time.

That being said, a G. rosea is best. They are easy to forgive you for not watering or feeding them. An A. seemanni is also a good species to care for but more active than the rosea. Good luck.

Skysucka

Arachnopeon
Are smithi's docile/slow? I've been searching the boards but haven't been able to determine this for sure.

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am a Noob T wise but I have been aroun them for a few years, and I am currently setting up for when i get my L. parahybana in about a week, due to delays with getting my Bed room ready...I am not over struck on Usambaras they look mean its in there eyes I tells ya!!.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Well, if you are in Michigan.............or close by:)
There is a show on June 14, here in Taylor.
You can actually meet your T of choice and many others.

If there is a show in your area, check it out. I prefer to
buy my T's in person. Others on the board buy through the
mail with no issues to.

Depending on what you want as far as looks and personality
a GBB is a good choice, it's on my want list:)

I have tiny T's and some over 3 inches, 10 total.
The real small ones are a lot of work, I would go with
a larger one.

Even if you do not plan to ever hold your own T, make sure
you hold one anyway, thats just something you can add to
the list of things you have tried=D

A. Avics are fun to hold, they never stop moving=D

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by Skysucka
Are smithi's docile/slow? I've been searching the boards but haven't been able to determine this for sure.
I think that all B.smithi's are great for someone that has a collection or a 1st time T owner, but they aren't neccessarily great Ts for handling. I'm very reactive to their urticating hairs more than any of my other Ts including my T.blondi so I leave mine alone and enjoy looking at them without the bald butt. But like all other Ts each has it's own personality and it might be a proverbial "petrock" or it might have dream it's a pTerror. I'd think that most are pretty docile Ts though otherwise I doubt they would have gained the popularity they enjoy. I can tell you though they can move pretty fast when they are startled, but this is normally over a pretty short distance. The slowest thing about them I've noticed is their growth... A very nice T in any rate, and I've got 3 of them :cool:

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a noob too !:D I started with a G. rosea because all the web sites say they are so docile. Well mine is not at all docile and others in here report the same. So as long as its a hardy species and you don't plan to hold it I don't see the big deal. I've ordered a GBB, and a Avicularia avicularia. I'm still going to stick with hardy and easy to keep breeds. I figure the A. avic will give me a little speed to see if I can maintain it. I got a feeling by reading on this board I should have started with a Avicularia or PZB .They seem to not have the horror stories G. rosea have. So I'd say those are good starters but I'll soon find out about A. avic !:D

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Green Bottle Blue's are NOT evil!! Where did that idea come from, Disturbed? You said that your second T was an Usambara, that is much worse than a GBB. I don't think you could go wrong with a GBB or a smithi for a first T.

Andy

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB are reported to be docile and skittish. But it boils down to the individual personality from what I've learned from the pro's on this board ! :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I got a GBB as my 3rd T. Yes, they ARE skittish, but I don't find that mine hides that much. They are voracious eaters, and easy keepers, not doing well with high humidity.
And you can't beat them for the color!
Sounds like you are doing your homework, and that's what counts...go for what you feel comfortable with :)