Looking for these species

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello everyone. If anyone is aware of where I can purchase the following species would you please email me or bump me an IM and let me know. Thanks!

Androctonus aeneas
Androctonus mauretanicus
Androctonus oeneas
Centruroides exilicauda (sculpturatus morph)
Hemiscorpius lepturus
Odontobuthus doriae
Tityus bahiensis
Tityus serrulatus
Tityus falconensis

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most of those are going to be very hard to get, if you can even get them...The C. exilicauda does not have a sculpturatus morph anymore, it is two seperate spp. The C. exilicauda are the ones from Baja and the C. sculpturatus are the "Arizona Bark Scorpions"

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello everyone. If anyone is aware of where I can purchase the following species would you please email me or bump me an IM and let me know. Thanks!

Androctonus aeneas
Androctonus mauretanicus
Androctonus oeneas
Centruroides exilicauda (sculpturatus morph)
Hemiscorpius lepturus
Odontobuthus doriae
Tityus bahiensis
Tityus serrulatus
Tityus falconensis
Those 3 Tityus can be found easily. PM BrianS or Vincent and ask them if they have any for sale right now. Androctonus bicolor "aeneas" morph, Androctonus mauretanicus and C.ex is also in the hobby. Not sure about H.lepturus and O.doriae, I have not seen those 2 available.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those 3 Tityus can be found easily. PM BrianS or Vincent and ask them if they have any for sale right now.
I might have some T falconensis available if I cant work out a trade with someone else

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Brian, that would be awsome. I've always had the really hot species and while a few are readily available, the others are very hard to find. With all the expertise on this board I figured it the best place to ask! LOL If you can work something out on the T. falconensis please let me know.

I've had a hard time finding the others. Everyone is currently out of most of them and others aren't selling right now and haven't for the last several months. I have absolutely NO luck at all finding the H. lepturus or O. doriae. I've contacted some sellers and asked them to try and find them for me but was told since they are not CB and would be WC they had to rely on what the exports catch and ship. I believe it may be one heck of along wait for them! LOL

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a few T stigmurus that are definetley available, if you would be interested in them? One of my personal favorites actually. Best of all they are parthenogenic so no males required for baby making purposes ;)

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll IM you. I also like the rare or unusual species. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Heterometrus swammerdammi but man they are expensive. LOL

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You don't see O.doriae that much, not at all in fact. Why would you wan't to keep H.lepturus?

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You don't see O.doriae that much, not at all in fact. Why would you wan't to keep H.lepturus?
Because of the reputation and the fact that it´s a very rare sight in the hobby ;) And beautiful they are too but thenagain i can´t think of an ugly scorpion.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, H lepturus has that notorious cytoxin, I would flip over the opportunity to have captives. Nice coloration and size, simply one of the most unique scorpions in the animal kingdom.

EDIT:

From Scorpion Files,

female H lepturus

male H lepturus

Has a similar sexual diamorphism as Centruriodes and Hadogenes, I am curious is this true with every Hemiscorpius?

Last edited:

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lq's and Androctonus sp don't worry me a bit, but Hemiscorpius lepturus I, personally, don't want in my collection hahaha. So far I haven't ever been stung, nor do I plan on ever lacking in caution enouph to do so, but the wounds from cytotoxic venom just creep me out. Nor will I ever move anywhere with a high population of Loxosceles reclusa.

I'm by no means trying to caution anyone away from this sp;). I'm just saying that's the one kind of scorpion that would give me the 'heeby jeebies'.

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Everyone hit the nail on the head. They are beautiful which they all are in their own way and a rarity in the trade along with that "awsomely nasty reputation". On another forum someone asked about the most violent species. Well, my LQ is extremely violent. As soon as I lift the locking lid on his enclosure he goes right into a striking, defensive posture and has jumped and lunged his metasoma/telson towards me on several occassions. I use a 10 gallon lear rubbermaid container that is about 12 inches tall, has 2 to 2.5 inches of sand and he tends to jump about 5 to 7 inches. Fortunately he only does this once and then just stays on the sand or his flat rock until I get his food in there and lock the lid. My Yellow Fat Tail (Androctonus australis) on the other hand is like a sleeping kitten. It just lies there and never moves. When feeding, enither of them hunt or prowl for their food, they lust wait in a stalking position and grab their food and consume it. I have no fear of them because I use common sense, caution and give them the utmost respect they demand and deserve. Ironically I am absolutely paranoid of all spiders. LOL I see one, I pass out whether it's the size of a pinhead or a female goliath bird eater. I think many are absolutely beautiful but I'll leave them to the rest of you experts! ROFLOL

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lq's and Androctonus sp don't worry me a bit, but Hemiscorpius lepturus I, personally, don't want in my collection hahaha. So far I haven't ever been stung, nor do I plan on ever lacking in caution enouph to do so, but the wounds from cytotoxic venom just creep me out. Nor will I ever move anywhere with a high population of Loxosceles reclusa.

I'm by no means trying to caution anyone away from this sp;). I'm just saying that's the one kind of scorpion that would give me the 'heeby jeebies'.
No, I think that is using your head and respecting them. But the hobby has offered African Six-Eyed Spiders (Sicarius Spp) before which also has a notorious potent cytoxin but like the Brown Recluse cousins across the pond they are quite docile and very reluctant to bite yet doesn't give liberty for owners to play with the creature.

This scorpion however might readily sting, so yes IMO H lepturus is the scariest scorpion to get tagged by and the utmost respect and care would be required by sane mature keepers. I would be one of those persons and probably place it in a non-shatterable cage.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I think that is using your head and respecting them. But the hobby has offered African Six-Eyed Spiders (Sicarius Spp) before which also has a notorious potent cytoxin but like the Brown Recluse cousins across the pond they are quite docile and very reluctant to bite yet doesn't give liberty for owners to play with the creature.

This scorpion however might readily sting, so yes IMO H lepturus is the scariest scorpion to get tagged by and the utmost respect and care would be required by sane mature keepers. I would be one of those persons and probably place it in a non-shatterable cage.
well goodluck finding H.lepturus.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can dream... lol... but I am more obsessed with Urodacus... someday... someday

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can dream... lol... but I am more obsessed with Urodacus... someday... someday
it will be available one day. There's always new species in the hobby every year. This year there's few new Tityus spp. available. This year A.bicolor "aeneas" morph is finally in the market, few Androctonus spp. (atleast in europe) and some new Parabuthus spp.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it will be available one day. There's always new species in the hobby every year. This year there's few new Tityus spp. available. This year A.bicolor "aeneas" morph is finally in the market, few Androctonus spp. (atleast in europe) and some new Parabuthus spp.
Europe nearly always guarantees a forecast for us US collectors. Very exciting bridges are always crossed.

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Better to worry LQ´s, Andros as well as H. lepturus. Eventhough i don´t think that there are many hobbyists, if all, who have those lepturus. Andros, LQ´s and some other Buthidae scorps have the potent to put a human down if he/she is unlucky. And if you survive a severe sting, i don´t think that it´s just a walk in the park. Maybe it can have some very nasty side-effects that haunt you for awhile or as long as you live, who knows.

I think that it´s better to be safe than sorry and worry about other potent ones too, even if their venom acts differently =)

And would be great to have those too, thenagain for some reasons it´s maybe better that H. lepturus isn´t available (referring to a few irresponsible pictures and youtube videos about stalkers and andros). Using a proper enclosure and common sense, scorpions are very easy and safe to keep, but it could only take 1 mistake and as we all know we do make mistakes from time to time. My Sicarius is also very jumpy, although it seems that it´s reluctant to bite, it wouldn´t trust that at all.

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the unbreakable containers. I don't even use glass, I just use the rubbermaid containers with locking lids and mine are all on the floor instead of tables or shelves. Things fall off tall objects and the last thing I would want is a bunch of HOT species running all over the floor with the potential to kill me or my family. My room is also off limits to everyone for safety reasons. The buddy system is used when I need to clean even though the scorps are retained and my hands do not go into the containers. I use long 12" tongs if I need to retrieve the body of a dead cricket or other uneaten meal. As mentioned there are some horrible pics and videos out there of people holding deadly scorps and spiders. It only takes one tag and the potential can be lethal.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is not worth hotdogging with hot inverts. If one of these people get bit or stung they probably deserved it, and my greatest fear if someone is seriously injured or worse how would, do I dare utter the word, *knock on wood, throw a pinch of salt over the shoulder* lawmakers react to that.

Best not to dwell on that just hold the individual responsible.