Looking for the most attractive millipede species - help

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, I'm looking for millipedes that are somehow outstanding from the breeders perspective, either nice and colourful or massive. Any of Your info might help me a lot. Thank You very much, Im able to provide good conditions to any tropical species, so for me, its just a matter of attractivity, so decided to look here for some suggestions.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
In terms of most beautiful millipede species I would recommend Centrobolus splendidus and Spirostreptidae sp. 8. ANYTHING in the genus Aphistogoniulus is also gorgeous, but as almost all these species are CITES listed I would not recommend them.
In terms of mass, the obvious choice is Archispirostreptus gigas, but anything in the Thyropygus genus gets pretty giant too. I don't know how widely available they are in Europe, but I know all of these species are in the hobby there and easier to find than in the US.

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
Personally, although not very large, I think that anadenobolus monilicornis or Bumblebee millipedes are just absolutely beautiful with their color variations. Some of mine in the colony I keep have purple tones with their yellow and black, and I think they just look amazing. If only they got gigantic as well

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
One genus: Trachelomelagus.

I have a much larger list of spectacular species I can share later.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Alrighty, here is a short list:
Aphistogoniulus sp. (gorgeous coloration. Expensive and endangered in the wild however, best to hold off if you are new to keeping millipedes).
Alienostreptus/Lamellostreptus sp. (hard to come by and with very limited captive husbandry but absolutely amazing coloration)
Acladocricus/Thyropygus sp. "Java" (enormous and beautiful. Expensive however and there are no confirmed reports of breeding).
Centrobolus sp. (common in Europe, cheap, and beautiful. A bit small though, only around 5-7 cm in length).
Chicobolus spinigerus (very high surface activity levels, attractive patterning and prolific. Harder to find in Europe.)
Coromus sp. (attractive patterning and texture, good size, very prolific and easy to find available).
Pseudodesmus sp./another large andrognathid (fascinating to observe, limited captive history and hard to find however).
Pelmatojulus/Pachybolus sp. (beautiful coloration and awesome bulk, very prolific though young are sensitive to food shortages and negligence will kill them).
Salpidobolus sp. (a lot of really attractive species in this genus, "Irian Jaya" is most common in the hobby, is prolific, and I am quite partial to it).
Spirostreptidae sp. "8" (very handsome coloration, large size, relatively commonly offered. Probably needs seasonal variation to be bred consistently).
Trigoniulus macropygus (amazing and colorful species, very prolific if kept properly. Seems to be mostly in the hands of Russian breeders).
Almost any of the big Harpagaphoridae/Spirobolidae out of Indonesia and Malaysia are striking.
Zephronia sp. (spectacular coloration. Sensitive however and difficult to breed).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

P.S For a much larger (though I have updated it several times since it was first published) list, see here.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
LOVE and agree with that second list. Could you provide more info on Trachelomelagus though? I've never heard of it and the only things I get on google are tracheal disorders :rofl:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Very uncommon genus in the hobby, has only been in the hands of a few German enthusiasts. It has been bred in captivity but the young seem to have disappeared into the mist. Most recent German reports are from 2012, and any further specimens out there haven't been reported about online since then (at least that I can find).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Bumblebees, orthoporus ornatus, and pink feather millipedes. Not sure on the availability of these for other countries though.

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Alrighty, here is a short list:
Aphistogoniulus sp. (gorgeous coloration. Expensive and endangered in the wild however, best to hold off if you are new to keeping millipedes).
Alienostreptus/Lamellostreptus sp. (hard to come by and with very limited captive husbandry but absolutely amazing coloration)
Acladocricus/Thyropygus sp. "Java" (enormous and beautiful. Expensive however and there are no confirmed reports of breeding).
Centrobolus sp. (common in Europe, cheap, and beautiful. A bit small though, only around 5-7 cm in length).
Chicobolus spinigerus (very high surface activity levels, attractive patterning and prolific. Harder to find in Europe.)
Coromus sp. (attractive patterning and texture, good size, very prolific and easy to find available).
Pseudodesmus sp./another large andrognathid (fascinating to observe, limited captive history and hard to find however).
Pelmatojulus/Pachybolus sp. (beautiful coloration and awesome bulk, very prolific though young are sensitive to food shortages and negligence will kill them).
Salpidobolus sp. (a lot of really attractive species in this genus, "Irian Jaya" is most common in the hobby, is prolific, and I am quite partial to it).
Spirostreptidae sp. "8" (very handsome coloration, large size, relatively commonly offered. Probably needs seasonal variation to be bred consistently).
Trigoniulus macropygus (amazing and colorful species, very prolific if kept properly. Seems to be mostly in the hands of Russian breeders).
Almost any of the big Harpagaphoridae/Spirobolidae out of Indonesia and Malaysia are striking.
Zephronia sp. (spectacular coloration. Sensitive however and difficult to breed).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

P.S For a much larger (though I have updated it several times since it was first published) list, see here.
Thank you very much, whatvan effort, now I have my task easier ! Cheers and thanks once again, this one mustvreally appreciate