Looking for T recommendations

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Understandable, I guess it differs from person to person. As I'm sure 90% of people who own an avic takes it out, but I guess I should stop handling then!
it is unfortunate so many keepers dont know what handling really does. alot think the spiders enjoy it. promoting bad husbandry is never good.
thats a great choice. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I do have to say, I would never handle my Regalia, simply because of the potency but the pokies seem to be over exaggerated a lot, mine has never thrown a threat posture at all and is very easy to transfer, change water, or do any maintenance at all
I understand, because when it comes to 'Pokies' (again, in general, and considering the single specimen temperament) what concerns more is their high brutal venom, rather than their attitude.

I've saw/deal with P.irminia more defensive than certain 'Pokies', for that matter. For me 'Pokies' are shy & run T's mostly but see the whole picture? Means nothing, one moment. Temperament always vary, things always vary.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
it is unfortunate so many keepers dont know what handling really does. alot think the spiders enjoy it. promoting bad husbandry is never good.
thats a great choice. :)
Well I respect them just as much in the cage as out, but since your obviously more experienced than me, does 7.5 inches sound overly large for a L Violaceopes male?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So in that case, RobC, Jon3800, and deadlytarantulagirl, are poor keepers? Although they are all highly reputable T owners and they all have handling videos?
LOL Jon and tarantulagirl are terrible owners. You listing them as a "gotcha" is just hilarious.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
LOL Jon and tarantulagirl are terrible owners. You listing them as a "gotcha" is just hilarious.
They aren't terrible owners at 360°, not at all. Just like terrible isn't tarantulaguy1976. Aside for handling, on my book poor credibility, the only thing I can say about Jon3800 and Deadly Tarantula Girl is that they are class A 'substrate Scrooges'.

Christ a thing I can't stand... like if mere dirt all of a sudden is gold, not even Shylock :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I guess I might as well answer the question of the OP at some point. The Caribena versicolor sounds like the tarantula for you. You said you wanted something that's not an Avic, and the versicolor used to be, but it's not anymore ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So in that case, RobC, Jon3800, and deadlytarantulagirl, are poor keepers? Although they are all highly reputable T owners and they all have handling videos?
I don't care if it's been covered, I have to comment on this :rofl:

RobC is a blowhard that claims to know more than he does. Highlights of him include handling, throwing a spider on the ground from being startled, and his hot-headed approach to keeping.
Jon3800 has a few informational videos, but his hybridization video has completely discredited him in this hobby.
deadlytarantulagirl is... a different beast. She is apparently a great person in real life, but her videos should be a guide on exactly how not to care for tarantulas. She's a walking petstore guide. Keeping tarantulas alive does not equate to an experienced keeper.

You've got several great keepers on this very thread. Learn from them, not the unfortunate faces of this hobby.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
No offense, but why in the whole hobby of the T keeping, that after approx. 3 months you decide to handle such fast/potent species? It's baffling to me. You say that you always handle less than a foot off the ground, and I get that. But when you get bit by your violaceopes, you're just going to sit perfectly still and be calm with a 7.5" angry OW on your hand? I would probably react with a knee-jerk reaction, and I would hate to hurt my T doing that. That can happen with any T too, never will understand why anyone would hold an arboreal tarantula past Avics on purpose... On another note, I would say Psalmopoeus would be your best choice for handling. Decent size on cambridgei, unique colors, and fast growth rate. Are you looking particularly at OW, or just in general?

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I've been thinking about using my body to host a commune of S. calceatum, or would anyone recommend P. ornata instead?

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
No offense, but why in the whole hobby of the T keeping, that after approx. 3 months you decide to handle such fast/potent species? It's baffling to me. You say that you always handle less than a foot off the ground, and I get that. But when you get bit by your violaceopes, you're just going to sit perfectly still and be calm with a 7.5" angry OW on your hand? I would probably react with a knee-jerk reaction, and I would hate to hurt my T doing that. That can happen with any T too, never will understand why anyone would hold an arboreal tarantula past Avics on purpose... On another note, I would say Psalmopoeus would be your best choice for handling. Decent size on cambridgei, unique colors, and fast growth rate. Are you looking particularly at OW, or just in general?
Any really, I have a P. Irminia

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
its a selfish habit.
I'm gonna be controversial here - doesn't that describe our entire hobby? It doesn't do anything for the animals (except maybe preservation of some species) and is solely for our own interest and entertainment. The tarantulas are much better off in the wild and there seems to be some high horses around these boards. My B. auratum is super chill (for now) and seems to prefer to sit still on my arm (me on the floor) using her tarsal claws to pull herself as close to my skin as possible to gain body heat. If I gently nudge her she clamps down harder as to say "I aint' moving mate, get used to it" and can sit like that for a long time (maybe I should turn up the thermostat...).

Last edited: