Looking for T recommendations

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
Well, their level of defensiveness IMO is definitely exaggerated, man. Offer those lots of inches of substrate, a cork bark for 'home' and chances that they will disappear are high = zero issues IMO when it comes to maintenance.

I fail to realize (aside for the facts given by their cheap price thus 24/7 availability due to easy breed therefore perfect mix for impulse purchase or frebie) why a S.aruana should be considered 'less' defensive than a P.murinus.

Now of course to scavenge them from their burrow for handling... it's another story :-s
I don't need anything to handle regularly just something I can show off when people are over really, the only one I have that I handle a lot is my avic avic, I guess a lot if people misunderstood that on the other post I made

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't need anything to handle regularly just something I can show off when people are over really, the only one I have that I handle a lot is my avic avic, I guess a lot if people misunderstood that on the other post I made
You are free to do/buy what you want, man :-s

My post was only about 'OBT' defensiveness that, IMO, is overestimated at 360°.

The venom is brutal, sure, but other Africans aren't second when attitude is concerned... yet 'OBT' are always considered worst.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
You are free to do/buy what you want, man :-s

My post was only about 'OBT' defensiveness that, IMO, is overestimated at 360°
No input there, as I've never owned one. But I would say the same thing about the Singapore blue, mine being a male you would sure think he would be defensive according to how most people view a Singapore, but never seen a single threat posture in the 2.5 months I've owned that guy.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
handling New worlds is selfish and poor husbandry, handling ows is just stupid. its for show offs and irresponsible keepers who probably should find a different hobby.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No input there, as I've never owned one. But I would say the same thing about the Singapore blue, mine being a male you would sure think he would be defensive according to how most people view a Singapore, but never seen a single threat posture in the 2.5 months I've owned that guy.
At all. I believe you. Temperament always vary specimen to specimen. I've received threat display, followed by bites-to the air, by NW T's more than OW's, for a water dish cleaning, nothing transcendental. And this not because I was/I am more relaxed around the firsts, and more focused with those last.

While I'm against handling, if someone wants to handle, handle. Still don't believe that "everything" will remain always that way: you are handling predators, unpredictable predators. Things can change in seconds.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
handling New worlds is selfish and poor husbandry, handling ows is just stupid. its for show offs and irresponsible keepers who probably should find a different hobby.
So in that case, RobC, Jon3800, and deadlytarantulagirl, are poor keepers? Although they are all highly reputable T owners and they all have handling videos?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So in that case, RobC, Jon3800, and deadlytarantulagirl, are poor keepers? Although they are all highly reputable T owners and they all have handling videos?
YES. jon in particular...
this is exactly the reason i hate those channels, beginners watch them and think handling OWs is a cool thing and everyone will respect them for it. its the complete opposite. stop handling, for both the spider and you.
@Paiige ?

Last edited:

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
At all. I believe you. Temperament always vary specimen to specimen. I've received threat display, followed by bites-to the air, by NW T's more than OW's, for a water dish cleaning, nothing transcendental. And this not because I was/I am more relaxed around the firsts, and more focused with those last.

While I'm against handling, if someone wants to handle, handle. Still don't believe that "everything" will remain always that way: you are handling predators, unpredictable predators. Things can change in seconds.
No doubt, I never go in with a mindset that I couldn't get bit, and I always stick by the ground so I can't harm any of my Ts, in my opinion I don't see any issue at all, especially with my 2 most handled being new worlds.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
YES. jon in particular...
this is exactly the reason i hate those channels, beginners watch them and think handling OWs is a cool thing and everyone will respect them for it. its the complete opposite. stop handling, for both the spider and you.
Well handling OWs in general I 100% agree, but the only old world I handle is my 2nd spider ever, that has a very good temperament, my other 2 are both new worlds, so once again its only one old world specimen that I know the tempermant of, I don't see an issue with it as long as the spider is safe and near the ground.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
in my opinion I don't see any issue at all, especially with my 2 most handled being new worlds.
Well, even NW can into bites and into escapes, so you never know man :)

Plus genus Psalmopoeus venom isn't funny :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well handling OWs in general I 100% agree, but the only old world I handle is my 2nd spider ever, that has a very good temperament, my other 2 are both new worlds, so once again its only one old world specimen that I know the tempermant of, I don't see an issue with it as long as the spider is safe and near the ground.
the spider is stressed and is wandering looking for a place to hide. if thats not a issue i dont know what is. its a selfish habit. if you want to provide the best care possible, stop handling. Lampropelma venom is among the worst of theraphosidae. it'll turn your week to s***. temperaments change, particularly with OWs.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
Well, even NW can into bites and into escapes, so you never know man :)

Plus genus Psalmopoeus venom isn't funny :-s
I've read that but if you check out the P. Irminia bite reports, doesn't seem to bad,although I've been told they are closely related to the pokies

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
On my book 'handling' doesn't make a keeper/breeder/seller more reputable than others at all.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
the spider is stressed and is wandering looking for a place to hide. if thats not a issue i dont know what is. its a selfish habit. if you want to provide the best care possible, stop handling. Lampropelma venom is among the worst of theraphosidae. it'll turn your week to s***. temperaments change, particularly with OWs.
Understandable, I guess it differs from person to person. As I'm sure 90% of people who own an avic takes it out, but I guess I should stop handling then!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've read that but if you check out the P. Irminia bite reports, doesn't seem to bad,although I've been told they are closely related to the pokies
Well, there's a lot of things to consider but their venom is supposed nasty: definitely stronger for the NW average level.

Yeah, I'm one of those that believes that P.cambridgei, in particular, are somewhat - I've said somewhat :) related with 'Pokies'.

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
Well, there's a lot of things to consider but their venom is supposed nasty: definitely strionger for the NW average level.

Yeah, I'm one of those that believes that P.cambridgei, in particular, are somewhat - I've said somewhat :) related with 'Pokies'.
I do have to say, I would never handle my Regalia, simply because of the potency but the pokies seem to be over exaggerated a lot, mine has never thrown a threat posture at all and is very easy to transfer, change water, or do any maintenance at all

JakeG85

Arachnopeon
I do have to say, I would never handle my Regalia, simply because of the potency but the pokies seem to be over exaggerated a lot, mine has never thrown a threat posture at all and is very easy to transfer, change water, or do any maintenance at all
Regalis*