Looking for starter sling

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Lp. Cheap as they come, eat as good as any, simple care and grow at one of the fastest rates. They are so common that they have become very underappreciated imo.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've gotta go with G. pulchripes here. My first tarantula (and first sling) was a G. pulchripes and he was a joy to raise. It didn't seem like he grew that slowly either, though I suppose looking back now that I've raised some OWs I wouldn't refer to the growth rate as quick. Still though, a beautiful tarantula with a good appetite and minimal defensiveness.

A word of caution with some of the big tropicals (Nhandu, Pampho, Phormic, Lasiodora) they sure do grow faster and they are beautiful but they are extremely food motivated in general. I describe mine from those genera as garbage disposals. If it moves, it's probably food as far as they are concerned. Tongs might be food (and my pampho has to attack them twice just to be sure), water might be food, a paper towel might be food, it's moving and even though it wasn't food thirty seconds ago it might be food now. The movement of the enclosure opening might even be food in the opinion of a couple Nhandu around here. If you decide to go that route you'll likely get hours of entertainment counting how many crickets your little darling can fit in it's mouth at once, just be aware of the garbage disposal response.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
B.vagans
-Cheap
-hardy
-gorgeous
-fast growing for a brachy but that is slow growing genus in general

G.pulchripes
-same reasons as above
-faster growing for a grammastola but see about about brachy

OBT
-same reasons as above
-grows really fast
•this is not a beginners T. It is an old world however, if you move it to its permanent home when it hits two inches it makes thing waaaaay easier. Plenty of sub, anchor points, and hiding spots and you will never see a threat display from this spider. This spider is a pet web that leads to a pet hole.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
+1 for the L parahybana and another +1 for the A genticulata.

The LP is dirt cheap. I was not a confident sling raiser. I got 6 LP slings at 2 bucks a piece as little test subjects. They make me look like an expert. They are growing and are good display T's later on. I'll be selling mine at about 3" as I really don't want 7 dinner plate tarantulas. I already have a good size LP.

The A genticulata is my other choice. Not as cheap as the LP, but gorgeous, good eaters and fast growing. A prize for any collection.

cold blood

Staff member
I see genics all the time super cheap, like about $10ea...like the LP, they have large sacs of small slings....so getting a small sling will certainly not break the bank.