looking for some recommendations/questions

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
So my girl is absolutely in love with Avics. So my goal now is too... get them all. We already have two. A.metallica and A.versicolor. A. minitrax has been on my wish list quite some time. So here is part one of my part 3 question

What are the 5 must have species if you are specializing in Avics?

2nd question. Xenethis... I am going to pick one up in Oct. For this genus, am I better at looking for a sling or juvie. I know I am going to get bent over in pricing for this T's so I am not worried about cheaper alternatives. I guess what I am asking, what is the growth rate for this species and how delicate are the slings? Do behaviors range amongst the species within this genus, or are they all grouch pants?

3rd question. I am also looking at Ami T's. I understand these are dwarfs. How small are these spiders, growth rate, arboreal? I know there isn't much about these T's.

I appreciate everyone's input.

As far as experience if you don't know much about me. I am very comfortable around OW's, been in the hobby for 6 years, and I don't like tomatoes in my food.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm interested in hearing more about the Ami species as well because I have been looking at Ami sp. Colombia and Panama.
Comfortable with OW's, but not tomatoes.... interesting. ;)

louise f

Arachnoangel
OW and tomatoes what a weird combo o_O

Anyway, as for avics you gotta have ( hold on, because here it comes ) the amazonica, Braunshauseni, avi avi, minatrix, Guyana, laeta, Guyana blue.

lovely species, i understand your girl. :)

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Can I just say I am jealous of people whose partners are also into Ts? My husband thinks they are scary and doesn't want to hear about them. Bummer.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Can I just say I am jealous of people whose partners are also into Ts? My husband thinks they are scary and doesn't want to hear about them. Bummer.
Many people who think they're scary change their minds about the avics, though. They are a favourite - even amongst people who would normally not like tarantulas. It's because they are fluffy, have pink toes, and are generally less scary looking than many species.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Adore avics! Want to eventually have more..lots more!
None of my boys like tomatoes either...'Maybe it's a male thing?
Anyway following this to find out about the Ami as well as hear avic praises.

cold blood

Staff member
Xenesthis are slow growers, one of the slower growing of the large south americans. They require damp sub...aside from that, I've never heard them described as delicate.

Avics...well there's like 38 species, all are worth having...juronesis, aurantica and ulrichea are amongst my personal favorites...amazonica are also really cool. Urticans is the under-rated purple t....I highly suggest urticans as well.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Xenesthis are slow growers, one of the slower growing of the large south americans. They require damp sub...aside from that, I've never heard them described as delicate.

Avics...well there's like 38 species, all are worth having...juronesis, aurantica and ulrichea are amongst my personal favorites...amazonica are also really cool. Urticans is the under-rated purple t....I highly suggest urticans as well.
38?!?! in the hobby or just described?... I am going to be broke..

Xenesthis as slow growers, that helps a lot. I will keep that in mind

Thanks!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Have you read Caroline Fukushima's 2011 interim Avic revision? Some species have been invalidated, I think there's a max of 22 at this point, with 14 legit species, with 8 still under review. There's another 7 that will be moved into 4 new genera. That'll bring the Avic complex up to 8 genera.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Many people who think they're scary change their minds about the avics, though. They are a favourite - even amongst people who would normally not like tarantulas. It's because they are fluffy, have pink toes, and are generally less scary looking than many species.
Fluffy is right. And cute. Esp. when your immature male is drumming with his little pink toes.
I know, Poec, you're cringing about my emotional, nonscientific statement. It's ok.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Fluffy is right. And cute. Esp. when your immature male is drumming with his little pink toes.
I know, Poec, you're cringing about my emotional, nonscientific statement. It's ok.
Unless you are making money from having tarantulas - all of us are doing this to fulfill an emotional need. Even if all you are expecting to accomplish is a scientific, information based, broadening of your mind - that is still fulfilling an emotional need to do that. The pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake is fulfilling an emotional need too.
All these people who complain about emotions injecting themselves into this hobby are just kidding themselves that they aren't in it to fulfill an emotional need in themselves with it.
Don't be ashamed of loving these fantastic creatures. They are freakin' adorable and we are lucky to feel emotions for them.
:)

louise f

Arachnoangel
Unless you are making money from having tarantulas - all of us are doing this to fulfill an emotional need. Even if all you are expecting to accomplish is a scientific, information based, broadening of your mind - that is still fulfilling an emotional need to do that. The pursuit of knowledge for knowledge's sake is fulfilling an emotional need too.
All these people who complain about emotions injecting themselves into this hobby are just kidding themselves that they aren't in it to fulfill an emotional need in themselves with it.
Don't be ashamed of loving these fantastic creatures. They are freakin' adorable and we are lucky to feel emotions for them.
:)

Hey Vanessa not only the Avics are adorable just look at this sweetheart, your heart will melt i promise :kiss:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hey Vanessa not only the Avics are adorable just look at this sweetheart, your heart will melt i promise :kiss:

Salticidae are in a realm of adorable all on their own!! I love them so much it hurts. You have a lovely girl there, calm and curious. She is a big girl too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Unless you are making money from having tarantulas - all of us are doing this to fulfill an emotional need.

The two are not mutually exclusive. The people with the biggest collections have gotten them for free, paid for by selling/breeding the slings they breed. They supply a lot of spiders to hobbyists.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The two are not mutually exclusive. The people with the biggest collections have gotten them for free, paid for by selling/breeding the slings they breed. They supply a lot of spiders to hobbyists.
You're correct, some people make money and still enjoy it, but my point was that if you are not making money then the only reason you're doing it is because you enjoy it. To enjoy something is an emotion.
It isn't up to anyone else to tell people how much emotion that they have invested in their tarantulas. We all do it because of emotional investment - some more than others. People shouldn't be telling others how much emotional investment they're entitled to make.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was just teasing Poec, Vanessa. I should have said that.
It wasn't just one comment. I see it in a lot of posts. It isn't up to anyone to tell someone else how they should feel about their tarantulas... ever.