Looking for pointers for my Brachypelma albopilosum and avicularia.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
Hi everybody! I'm only a few months into owning my two gorgeous tarantulas. I've had Morticia (avicularia) for about 3 months now. Hector (Brachypelma albopilosum) has only been with me two weeks. Morticia is about 3 inches and Hector is probably .5. Morticia has molted once for me and I've noticed she has a very big appetite! Hector scavenged his first meal worm and is successfully burrowing. I had a tough time with Morticia building her web but after almost 2 months she had a decent funnel web spun. The only true question I have is cleaning her tank, there is a fungus that started and I spot cleaned it so I didn't tear down her web she just built. But I think the tank needs a cleaning. Any tips? Also, if you have run into any easy solutions or tips on these two species I would love to hear them. This is my first post so let me know if you want any more info! Screenshot_20161225-085012.png Screenshot_20170120-212944.png

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I had a tough time with Morticia building her web but after almost 2 months she had a decent funnel web spun. The only true question I have is cleaning her tank, there is a fungus that started and I spot cleaned it so I didn't tear down her web she just built. But I think the tank needs a cleaning. Any tips? Also, if you have run into any easy solutions or tips on these two species I would love to hear them. This is my first post so let me know if you want any more info!
To the extent I can access the area without destroying my Avic's webbing, I clean poop (they are poop shooters) off of the glass with a moist paper towel and/or plastic putty knife. I also remove any boluses (leftover food) when I find them. Otherwise, I don't worry too much about cleaning.

If the cage is well-ventilated and not overly damp, mold and other fungi should not be a problem. (Contrary to what care sheets say, you don't need to try to maintain some arbitrary humidity level. A damp, stuffy cage is a death sentence for Avics.)

For ventilation and moisture, you ideally want lots of cross ventilation, some top ventilation, and a water dish. (The larger the surface area of the water, the more humidity it provides.) If you live in a dry climate or are running the heat a lot and need to provide extra humidity, you can moisten the substrate. (You don't want it sopping wet, just a little moist.)

Do you have a picture of the whole Avic enclosure? It looks a little barren. For furnishings, Avics will feel more comfortable with vines/leaves to web in addition to their cork hide.

If you're using an enclosure with a screen lid, be sure to replace the lid. (Acrylic lids are common.) Tarantula claws and fangs can get stuck in a fine mesh, increasing the risk of injury or death.

Additional tips on Avic care: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
To the extent I can access the area without destroying my Avic's webbing, I clean poop (they are poop shooters) off of the glass with a moist paper towel and/or plastic putty knife. I also remove any boluses (leftover food) when I find them. Otherwise, I don't worry too much about cleaning.

If the cage is well-ventilated and not overly damp, mold and other fungi should not be a problem. (Contrary to what care sheets say, you don't need to try to maintain some arbitrary humidity level. A damp, stuffy cage is a death sentence for Avics.)

For ventilation and moisture, you ideally want lots of cross ventilation, some top ventilation, and a water dish. (The larger the surface area of the water, the more humidity it provides.) If you live in a dry climate or are running the heat a lot and need to provide extra humidity, you can moisten the substrate. (You don't want it sopping wet, just a little moist.)

Do you have a picture of the whole Avic enclosure? It looks a little barren. For furnishings, Avics will feel more comfortable with vines/leaves to web in addition to their cork hide.

If you're using an enclosure with a screen lid, be sure to replace the lid. (Acrylic lids are common.) Tarantula claws and fangs can get stuck in a fine mesh, increasing the risk of injury or death.

Additional tips on Avic care: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396
Thanks! I read up and have added more features since that picture. I have a screen, I put a glass panel above where she made her web so she can attach to it without risking me damaging it. I do need to get a few more vines and sticks. I'm working on locating the perfect terrarium for her though, for now I usually have a fan circulating the air around her (nowhere near her) just close enough to catch some breeze. Also I used that technique to encourage her to build a web.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I usually have a fan circulating the air around her (nowhere near her) just close enough to catch some breeze. Also I used that technique to encourage her to build a web.
Curious, what makes you think this "technique" encourages web construction in Avicularia? Do you have any data to support this? I'd be interested in reading if you did, as I've not seen a peer-reviewed article with such information.

I hope you aren't using a screen top, that's a good way to have injured or dead T.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
Curious, what makes you think this "technique" encourages web construction in Avicularia? Do you have any data to support this? I'd be interested in reading if you did, as I've not seen a peer-reviewed article with such information.

I hope you aren't using a screen top, that's a good way to have injured or dead T.
I have screen top, but I have it covered with a glass panel so she can't touch it. I'm looking for a new terrarium. I can't remember where exactly I read it or if it worked or if she coincidentally built her web after I put the fan in the room. All I know is there was no web for two months and once I introduced a fan in the room she had a web going the next day. The reasoning was she wouldn't enjoy the breeze and most likely build a web so it didn't bother her as much.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I have screen top, but I have it covered with a glass panel so she can't touch it. I'm looking for a new terrarium. I can't remember where exactly I read it or if it worked or if she coincidentally built her web after I put the fan in the room. All I know is there was no web for two months and once I introduced a fan in the room she had a web going the next day. The reasoning was she wouldn't enjoy the breeze and most likely build a web so it didn't bother her as much.
I would say its a Coincidence

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That Avic needs some more food. The enclosure for the albo looks a tad too large (though, as long as it can find food and water, isn't really an issue).

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
The reasoning was she wouldn't enjoy the breeze and most likely build a web so it didn't bother her as much.
I think an avic would instinctively see air movement as a positive thing . Circulating air deters the growth of both mold and fungi. Therefore good ventilation means better health . I think the breeze wouldn't be considered bothersome . There could be some validity to your thinking but for the opposite reason . A little air low means a healthier place to setup shop so your little T's instinct kicks in and tells it to build a web and stay for a while . This is completely testable theory . It would just take two different rooms and a handful of avics in identical enclosures . If the Ts in the "fan room" make webs before the Ts in the "stagnate air" room then I would call that a plausible theory . Or @REEFSPIDER is right and it's just a coincidence .