Looking for more info on Cyriopagopus schioedti

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone! Just like the title says I'm trying to get more information on C. schioedti. I've been looking at a few species for my next addition and the LPS has a 2" for $40.
Sadly a search here didn't turn up anything from the past 5-6yrs and was curious if anybody keeps/kept these little beauties? Trying to find out if they would be a good fit for my collection or not. Any input would be most appreciated!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
very male heavy species. i wouldnt buy less than 3 at once. keep them like any other asian arboreal. deep moist sub with some climbing space. some more than average vent is also helpful in preventing mold in such a damp environment.

this is one of the most advanced species out there, not for beginners or even intermediate keepers. youre gonna want a decent amount of experience(1y at least) with Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus before attempting these.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
very male heavy species. i wouldnt buy less than 3 at once. keep them like any other asian arboreal. deep moist sub with some climbing space. some more than average vent is also helpful in preventing mold in such a damp environment.
Ah, sadly the LPS only has the one. Shame, they are beautiful animals, and I already have a set up that would've been good for an Arboreal that size.

Thanks for the information though!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ah, sadly the LPS only has the one. Shame, they are beautiful animals, and I already have a set up that would've been good for an Arboreal that size.

Thanks for the information though!!
lots of asian arboreals sexes can be told at similar sizes. im not too sure about O. shioedti, but i believe males are more green at that size. something to be aware of.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Try giving 'schioedtei' a search.

Great T. I sold mine on before subadult stages. Got sick of keeping an Asian box of dirt :p

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
this is one of the most advanced species out there, not for beginners or even intermediate keepers. youre gonna want a decent amount of experience(1y at least) with Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus before attempting these.
Even better to know! I wasn't a member until after I got my P. fasciata, and deservedly was informed that it wasn't a good beginner species. So far things have gone well, including a rehouse, but I'm not foolish enough to leap ahead of myself again.
Back to searching for something else it is. Thanks once more!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Try giving 'schioedtei' a search.

Great T. I sold mine on before subadult stages. Got sick of keeping an Asian box of dirt :p
I did try just schioedti, still not a lot. At least not from anything active or in Classifieds. I think the most recent was a Who Molted post in fact.
Box of dirt eh? Already have a couple slings like that, just NW not OW :D GBB has holed up in the dirt/web fortress again. G. pulchripes #3 has done the same haha.

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Double check the spelling ;)

They're pretty easy to keep, IME they can be defensive but are much more inclined to run and hide first. Males and females are easy to tell apart with the females being black ventrally, and the males turning more and more green with each moult.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Double check the spelling ;)

They're pretty easy to keep, IME they can be defensive but are much more inclined to run and hide first. Males and females are easy to tell apart with the females being black ventrally, and the males turning more and more green with each moult.
See, that'll teach me to rely on copy/paste with my phone :dead: Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
image.jpg
im not too sure about O. shioedti, but i believe males are more green at that size. something to be aware of.
Females get black femurs and the males do green out...but at 2" I don't think you would be able to tell quite yet...I couldn't anyway till nearly 3". The males do mature green. (above)

Still great species to own, males will always be in need. I will say that they can be very reclusive, like a lot of Asians...they no like light or being seen in general. I know my female is out because the plants are all piled in the water dish from time to time, but shes near impossible to get a good pic of...spectacular looking spiders though and not a real hard keep IMO. Just dampen the sub from time to time and keep a large water dish and give them quality places to hide.

I've never seen a threat posture and I have raised a bunch...they just don't stick around long enough to give a threat posture.

boina

Lady of the mites
I've got 4 - three slings, and after everyone told me that there are supposed to be so many more males than females I got a small sexed female, too.

They are getting on my nerves. I never see more than the feet since the slings all constructed burrows topped off with thick dirt curtains and the female went for thick dirt curtains only. That wouldn't be too bad, but they don't close off their web entrance when in premolt for some reason, so I never know when to feed or not, except when they have just pushed out an exuvia. They are supposed to be fast and defensive, but I wouldn't know that because they are Shy and Reclusive - with capital S & R. I'm keeping them semi-arboreal with enough substrate for at least a shallow burrow but also upright standing bark and sticks to web on. So far only the somewhat larger female has taken advantage of the bark - the slings all went to construct shallow burrow/dirt curtain things between the plants of live moss I provided. Otherwise like asian arboreals: moist, good ventilation.

Would I buy them again? Yes. They look fantastic (at least in theory) and I like a challenge ;)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Ok, so based on replies I am going to hold off on these for the time being. Other than P. cambridgei, can anybody recommend "trainer Ts" for Poecilotheria species? Those really are my absolute favorites after all...

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, so based on replies I am going to hold off on these for the time being. Other than P. cambridgei, can anybody recommend "trainer Ts" for Poecilotheria species? Those really are my absolute favorites after all...
P. irminia, but they tend to be quite reclusive.

Skipping ahead, once you feel comfortable with faster, more flighty species, I'd get a regalis as a first Poec. I love my girl and she's fairly easy going. They also get quite bulky and are just beautiful.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well, one of my first two was a P. fasciata. So far (knock on wood) everything has been great with it though. Rehoused from a 32oz deli cup that it came in to a self made Hobby Lobby enclosure. No issues there and she, still hoping, has molted 4 times since January when I bought her. Pretty reclusive up until the Spring warm-up here in New England. Still has been a great experience for me, being so new especially.
I'm mostly uneasy because I hear/read so many warnings about OW species. Which I follow because I'm so new. I will most definitely look into P. irminia though :) Thank you!