Looking for millipedes

meloddipedes

Arachnopeon
I'm looking for millipedes to purchase. Not bumblebee or scarlet. I would prefer they be mature for breeding as I'm trying to start a breeding project finally. Anyone have anything that's not too expensive? It would have to be shipped to NJ. Thanks in advance!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I'm looking for millipedes to purchase. Not bumblebee or scarlet. I would prefer they be mature for breeding as I'm trying to start a breeding project finally. Anyone have anything that's not too expensive? It would have to be shipped to NJ. Thanks in advance!
Have you looked at BugsInCyberspace? They have the best selection of millipedes in the U.S., as far as I am aware and I believe the Chicobolus, Narceus and Tylobolus species are sold at or near breeding age. I would avoid Orthoporus ornatus as no one has successfully bred those in captivity.

meloddipedes

Arachnopeon
Have you looked at BugsInCyberspace? They have the best selection of millipedes in the U.S., as far as I am aware and I believe the Chicobolus, Narceus and Tylobolus species are sold at or near breeding age. I would avoid Orthoporus ornatus as no one has successfully bred those in captivity.
Yup. I've actually ordered from him before, but he doesn't have much in Stock right now. I actually order my substrate from himy as well and am about to post another thread asking how others make theirs because I need way more and want to do it myself. And haha I have Orthoporus ornatus and although they mate, they don't produce eggs. I figured eh why not. Thanks so much for the reply!

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
Yup. I've actually ordered from him before, but he doesn't have much in Stock right now. I actually order my substrate from himy as well and am about to post another thread asking how others make theirs because I need way more and want to do it myself. And haha I have Orthoporus ornatus and although they mate, they don't produce eggs. I figured eh why not. Thanks so much for the reply!
Get a Florida Ivory if you don't have one yet. My favorite species out of 6 that I've kept, I have almost never seen mine anywhere other than above ground and it's super active. A bit grumpy if handled for too long, but still very active! They will try to nibble on you, though.

meloddipedes

Arachnopeon
Get a Florida Ivory if you don't have one yet. My favorite species out of 6 that I've kept, I have almost never seen mine anywhere other than above ground and it's super active. A bit grumpy if handled for too long, but still very active! They will try to nibble on you, though.
I have 6 haha. they're great. my Texas golds nibble on me a lot, but not the ivories.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 6 haha. they're great. my Texas golds nibble on me a lot, but not the ivories.
Have you ever kept flameleg millipedes?

They're beautiful, and fairly easy to breed. They're not the hardiest millipede out there, but they were my first species, and I have many more than I started with.

meloddipedes

Arachnopeon
Have you ever kept flameleg millipedes?

They're beautiful, and fairly easy to breed. They're not the hardiest millipede out there, but they were my first species, and I have many more than I started with.
I have 1. I am looking for more so that I can breed them. they're beautiful.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
This isn't the best time of year for shipping to NJ!

@SDCPs usually has some flame legs for sale. Possibly some Philippine blues as well. Not breeding age but well started. Ditto on BIC. Sam Floyd for American species. Great prices; WC. And Wards for A gigas.

Honestly, although I would also prefer mature, I think it is a bit risky. Mature can mean too old to breed which is worse than too young to breed. Give it some thought.

You have a pretty nice collection started. They are so addicting!

meloddipedes

Arachnopeon
This isn't the best time of year for shipping to NJ!

@SDCPs usually has some flame legs for sale. Possibly some Philippine blues as well. Not breeding age but well started. Ditto on BIC. Sam Floyd for American species. Great prices; WC. And Wards for A gigas.

Honestly, although I would also prefer mature, I think it is a bit risky. Mature can mean too old to breed which is worse than too young to breed. Give it some thought.

You have a pretty nice collection started. They are so addicting!
Haha no, it's not the best time for shipping here, but until the last few days it has been insanely warm for this time of year. Thanks so much for the suggestions! And I do agree about the being too old to breed thing. Maybe I'll stick with younger and let them reach breeding age with me to be safe. I have 2 adult ivories and 4 young ones so I know it can be irritating to wait, but probably better than ending up with older ones.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I think I found him here. Maybe under Xeric Bayou? If you can't find him, pm your email address and I will forward his November list.