Looking for info on Ami genus

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just cant find anything at all on these spiders.
I'm looking for any info, size, care, type, the species in this genus etc.
I did do a search and I could not find anything,
Thanks in advance

-marcus

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Unfortunately, you can't search for 3-letter words via the AB search function. The species in the genus currently are:

Ami amazonica -- Colombia
Ami bladesi -- Panama
Ami caxiuana -- Brazil
Ami obscura -- Colombia
Ami pijaos -- Colombia
Ami weinmanni -- Venezuela
Ami yupanquii -- Ecuador

All species were described in 2008, except A. obscura, which is known to science since 1875, but was placed in the wrong genus. Ami species have modified type I urticating hairs, and quite unique looking spermathecae. They are terrestrial as far as I know. Based on the so far described specimens, body length in the genus is 17.5 - 33.2 mm (~0.7" - 1.3"). If you want to read the article, PM me with an e-mail address. About their captive care I can't really say anything, because I'm not keeping any.

Pérez-Miles, F., R. Gabriel, L. Miglio, A. Bonaldo, R. Gallon, J. J. Jimenez & R. Bertani. 2008. Ami, a new theraphosid genus from Central and South America, with the description of six new species (Araneae: Mygalomorphae). Zootaxa 1915: 54-68.

Last edited:

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Zolton for your reply,

I found your information very helpful in making a decision.
I have an opportunity to purchase one, and I would like to know more about this genus. but, as it seems these are relatively new to the hobby. So I'll post what I can.