Looking for ideas for large feeders

Herpin Man

Arachnopeon
I'm brand new here. My interest in inverts is primarily culturing feeders for my amphibians and reptiles.
I'm looking for something bigger and reasonably prolific that I can culture easily, that is not a roach. I am beginning to develop allergies to them. I was initially looking at fruit beetles (Pachnoda), but haven't been successful at finding them in the U.S. Any thoughts? These will feed primarily African fat tailed geckos. I already do superworms, and have a difficult time getting crickets reliably delivered to me in the winter, in case you're wondering.
I like offering a variety, and would be open to anything that doesn't have overly elaborate care and breeding requirements.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I'm brand new here. My interest in inverts is primarily culturing feeders for my amphibians and reptiles.
I'm looking for something bigger and reasonably prolific that I can culture easily, that is not a roach. I am beginning to develop allergies to them. I was initially looking at fruit beetles (Pachnoda), but haven't been successful at finding them in the U.S. Any thoughts? These will feed primarily African fat tailed geckos. I already do superworms, and have a difficult time getting crickets reliably delivered to me in the winter, in case you're wondering.
I like offering a variety, and would be open to anything that doesn't have overly elaborate care and breeding requirements.
I’m not an expert, in fact I know nothing at all about breeding insects - but, I did manage to accidentally breed locust in a warm and moist fossorial tarantula enclosure a few years ago! (So I’m assuming they're pretty easy to breed intentionally). As adults, locust are pretty big.

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I’m allergic to roaches, crickets, mealworms etc. Certain ones I can be around minimally, but crickets are the worst for me. Hornworms are my go to feeder, but as they are expensive, I have been trying to breed them. I haven’t been successful so far but once I get it down that’s my plan for the future.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Harlequin beetle Gymnetis thula (formerly G. caseyi) larvae? It is a US species that is fairly easy to raise.

Try Wax Worms, Butterworms, Black Solder Fly Larvae?

Beetles

Arachnosquire
You wont easily find pachnoda for sale in the US.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
You wont easily find pachnoda for sale in the US.
Gymnetis thula (formerly G. caseyi) is a great native species to substitute for pachnoda and G. thula are easy to raise if you have dried leaves.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Zophobas morio or superworms are pretty easy to keep the and get to a good larger size about 2in for a feeder that’s not roaches or crickets.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I think this is a dead thread. The OP joined on August 31st, posted this one question, and hasn’t been seen since. Hope he’s OK.