Looking for hardy species that won't cost me an arm and a leg

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. Im VERY new at this Tarantula thing but have lost 2 pinktoes due to what I will assume is low humidity. I live in Iowa and it gets VERY dry in the Fall/Winter months. We also aren't home on the weekends during football season, so I'm looking to get some more hardy, tough species to really start up my collection....I have a baby Red-Knee, adult Rose Hair, and what the pet shop labeled as a "Striped Knee." They are all very easy to maintain and care for. I would love to get a Costa Rican Zebra or a Chaco Golden Knee....but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Nothing that is a speed demon.....I want to be able to open the lid and not be worried to have it fly out the top and take off...and nothing too aggressive....I don't want to get bitten often.... (Im still kind of a chicken) Anyone on here that has something for sale that can ship cheap and make the long journey please let me know. Thanks so much for all your help....I have 4 empty cages to fill.... :)
~Jenny~

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I still have an OBT sling for ya! ;) Welcome to the boards Jen!

All,

Jenny is a local friend of mine that is a fellow 8 legged lover! Anyone have any good thoughts for her?

Joe - CAK

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a chaco golden knee and just love her, although she went in her hide about 4 months ago and I haven't seen her since. I do know she is alive, she just thinks shes a bear. So that would be a good choice. I also have 3 avics, and yes humidity is important but I live in Phoenix where it is really dry, I just make sure I spray their enclosure every day and I bought a small humidifier for really dry days. One suggestion would be the Trinidad Dwarf - I just bought 2 slings on here that are for sale and everyone keeps telling me how easy they are to care for. They are really pretty and stay small. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, it's just a matter of what you like.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I have a 3"inch Phormictopus cancerides and 3"inch nhandu chromatus, i have only had them for 3 weeks but they are pretty hardy and eat well. the nhandu is more skittish. the phormictopus is a bad mama jama:D

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
How about some of the Aphonopelma species? I know there are a few priced higher, but generally they fit the description of what you're looking for.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Highly recommend a G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). They are great. They are quite hardy. Also very colorful and docile.

And what pet stores sell as "Striped knees" are A. seemani (Costa Rican Zebra). So post some pics of yours because most likely it is a Costa Rican Zebra.

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
Joe, Im NOT getting a obt....not a chance in hell....I like my fingers the way they are....:}

Kathy....thank you for the advise....never heard of the little one you talked about...I'll have to go online and look up the info page about them....

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
Im still workin on the scientific names... (I have no clue) Joe....help me out here....

Chris, I will do my best to get her out and take some pics but she's stubborn....she's a medium brown color....I thought Zebras were black and white? She's the same color as my Rose Hair but not as long of hair....Joe was with me when I bought her.....He could rolly tell you what she is better than I could......

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im not really an Aphonopelma fan.. So I wont suggest any of them.. They might be great.. But they are bland IMO.. However.. The G. pulchripes.. It is AWESOME! I love all three of mine.. :D

If you want something a but more skittish.. I say get you a L. parahybana... They are awesome to.. :D Their size.. Their eating habits..

Also.. Never say you aint going to get a certain SP.. I said I would never have a pokie... Guess what.. I now want every pokie I can get..

Pokie is a Poecilotheria sp... Its an OW (old world) T...& is not known for having a nice bite..

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
Tommy seen too many obt's that attack the air just for looking at them.....I don't want that thing in my house....I don't want something that Im scared of....the poor thing would starve to death cuz I'd be too nervous to take the lid off to throw the food in.....I'm not quite as "Ballzie" as I wish I was.....slowly workin on it......baby steps Tommy....baby steps... :)

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im not really an Aphonopelma fan.. So I wont suggest any of them.. They might be great.. But they are bland IMO.. However.. The G. pulchripes.. It is AWESOME! I love all three of mine.. :D

If you want something a but more skittish.. I say get you a L. parahybana... They are awesome to.. :D Their size.. Their eating habits..

Also.. Never say you aint going to get a certain SP.. I said I would never have a pokie... Guess what.. I now want every pokie I can get..

Pokie is a Poecilotheria sp... Its an OW (old world) T...& is not known for having a nice bite..
+1 on all the things he just said...dont knock it til you try it lmao. but Yeah for sure my vote as soon as i saw the title of this thread is get Lasiodora parahybana Its hardy as hell and cheaper than Tommy on a first date ;) hahaha. just playing man.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 on all the things he just said...dont knock it til you try it lmao. but Yeah for sure my vote as soon as i saw the title of this thread is get Lasiodora parahybana Its hardy as hell and cheaper than Tommy on a first date ;) hahaha. just playing man.
Hey.. Have you seen my grocery bill? Im not a cheap date! :embarrassed: Oh... Wrong cheap.. :rolleyes: {D What can I say.. Im easy.... {D

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
see.....you guys are usin the big words again....every time I see the big words I have to copy and paste it to Google just to see what ur all talkin about....Lol....So, Salmon Pink Birdeater.....those look cool....I think Joe has one of those....Might hafta go buy one of those.... :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
see.....you guys are usin the big words again....every time I see the big words I have to copy and paste it to Google just to see what ur all talkin about....Lol....So, Salmon Pink Birdeater.....those look cool....I think Joe has one of those....Might hafta go buy one of those.... :)
Sorry.. Im used to using the scientific names.. The common names will mostly confuse you later on.. But yes... The Salmon Pink Birdeater.. My female is 7.5".. She is awesome!

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Get a green bottle blue. They love it dry, the are skittish and won't come flying out of the tank. They have IMO the best colors. Everyone needs a GBB

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WHAT!? For real? NOOOOO.........lol.

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
Highly recommend a G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). They are great. They are quite hardy. Also very colorful and docile.

And what pet stores sell as "Striped knees" are A. seemani (Costa Rican Zebra). So post some pics of yours because most likely it is a Costa Rican Zebra.
Hey Chris...I posted a pic of my Striped Knee....Take a peek...unless I can figure out how to post it on here....here's my attempt....

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=18563

Harleychick823

Arachnopeon
Get a green bottle blue. They love it dry, the are skittish and won't come flying out of the tank. They have IMO the best colors. Everyone needs a GBB
My friend Joe has one of those....I might talk to him about getting one....Thank you! :)

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Green bottle blues are pretty! Like your picture harley! Sweet. :)