looking for communal species that's active and...

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I am looking a species that is communal, tolerate a wide temperature range, and very active.
size don't matter. it would be neat if they are small too. it's not important, but colorful is also nice.

thanks

Last edited:

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Centruroides Vittatus...
Small, tolerate a wide range of temperatures, some morphs can be more colorful then others, on the smaller side, semi-aerboreal

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i was gonna say C. vittatus also. reading through your descriptions i think they would be perfect. some morphs have really good color to them also. find out where they are from and get some pics. i know the missouri ones are lot cooler looking than the colorado ones ;)

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well by golly I have me some of these little guys forsale.......Check out my forsale thread.

:D

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
C.vittatus or of course C.meisei (small, very colorful, and extremely active also often during the day)

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree these guys are so cool........Here is a pic of mine.

Centruroides vitattus [xeric morph] - Missouri Bark Scorpion

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Babycurus jacksoni are communal and colorful.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. jacksoni, C. sculpaturus, or C. vitattus.

all about the same level of care required, just a matter or personal taste.

i should note that only ADULT B. jacksoni are communal.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Strange....some people say they are only communal as adults,others say only as juviniles. :confused:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for all the responds everyone. I am going the reptiles show coming up on the 27 and 28 so I m gonna pick up some C. vittatus from Ken the bug guy.
by the way, Centruroid nigrescens look pretty impressive. are they available in the U.S. pretty often? are they communal and easy to care for?

Last edited:

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for all the responds everyone. I am going the reptiles show coming up on the 27 and 28 so I m gonna pick up some C. vittatus from Ken the bug guy.
by the way, Centruroid nigrescens look pretty impressive. are they available in the U.S. pretty often? are they communal and easy to care for?
C.nigrescens are awesome scorpions, but as far as I know, they are only available in Europe. For Centruroides they are huge. They are communal as juveniles and adults and very easy to care for.
But I doubt you will find some in the USA.

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried an experiment with a communal setup with 6 4I B.jacksoni...They had pleanty of food and after a 2 week trial I end up with 3 of the 6 getting eaten....So I think keeping juvie B.jacksoni together is a bad idea unless you dont mind loosing a few.

And they were housed in a 2 1/2 gal tank and had plenty of places to hide.

But adults yes I have a group right now which has 4 females and 1 male and they are doing great.

Hey KyuZo Thanks!!!!!

:D

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nigrescens = europe only for now.

i had a friend import 5 species from a similar location last year. so maybe this year we will get some in :)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Strange....some people say they are only communal as adults,others say only as juviniles. :confused:
if you are talking about B. jacksoni here is the result my first communal experiment of 4i's:

that's a male to the left, munching on the middle ones head. he killed 2 more males. i separated him out to his own cage. then he died like 2 days later {D

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you are talking about B. jacksoni here is the result my first communal experiment of 4i's:

that's a male to the left, munching on the middle ones head. he killed 2 more males. i separated him out to his own cage. then he died like 2 days later {D
MMMMMMMMMMMM Tastes like chicken............