Looking For Advice On Narceus americanus Enclosure Size

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Hello! Last year I acquired five Narceus americanus immatures and have been keeping them in a 16 qt 16x12x7 plastic container, with about 5 inches of substrate, leaf litter, a hide, and sphagnum. They have been growing FAST and I was wondering if they need an enclosure upgrade. Opinions?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I would think not. They should have a ton of room for 5 in something that size, that's almost a gallon per pede

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Thank you for the reply! Depending on if I get breeding I may have to upsize later but will stick with this one until then. Thanks again!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the reply! Depending on if I get breeding I may have to upsize later but will stick with this one until then. Thanks again!
they don't need a ton of room. I have seen fairly decent sized colonies in enclosures that size.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Millipede Enthusiasts Database says as follows.

“Millipedes are undemanding in this sense, and it is generally recommended that such enclosures be 2-3 times the length and width of the longest specimen that will be inhabiting it. Depth of the enclosure should allow, in general, for the substrate to be as deep as the longest specimen”.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince

“Millipedes are undemanding in this sense, and it is generally recommended that such enclosures be 2-3 times the length and width of the longest specimen that will be inhabiting it. Depth of the enclosure should allow, in general, for the substrate to be as deep as the longest specimen”.

he has 5" of substrate which = length plus 1", plus quadruple length and triple width

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron

This is the classic baseline, however I have sometimes found additional space to encourage breeding, particularly with bumblebees.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron

This is the classic baseline, however I have sometimes found additional space to encourage breeding, particularly with bumblebees. Enclosure size is just a constant debate with myself:)