Looking for a Tarantula

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
Looking for suggestions on a good starting T. I was looking for something that wouldn't take up too much space. I'm taking any suggestions into consideration so don't be shy!

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Avicularia avicularia sounds perfect although the do need humidity around 70% or higher otherwise they're pretty easy going

Lolita

Arachnoknight
i personally like brachypelmas good tempered for the most part like able colors they don't get huge and they have an interesting shape for specific species red knee (B Smithi) or red rump (B Vagans)

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
thanks on all the quick replies guys. I have a few scorpions atm and shouldn't have a problem keeping the temp/humid up if needed. I'm really interested in a few T's and would like one of my own. A few people on other forums suggested a "GBB"..although i'm not to sure what that is haha. The brachypelmas was also a very popular suggestion. I really like the coloring of that T, however he looks a little big! I want to try and keep the T in the smallest possible enclosure without stressing it out.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
GBB are Green Bottle Blues or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
Cool thank you! They look very interesting and I see them kept in small enclosures, I'm just not sure if this is the right T for a starter. Any Thoughts?

jt39565

Arachnoknight
G. pulchra or A. brock would be my suggestions. Of course the Brachypelma sp are nice too.They are easy to care and not too sensitive to abnormal conditions.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I'm looking for something that makes webs a lot not sure what kind do this.
GBB is surely what you are looking for. Mid-size, beautifully colored as slings and as adults, heavy webber, likes dry conditions and usually calm.

Go get one, you will get the others soon anyway as this is a disease.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
i'd go for a B Smithi, or a G rosea...Arboreal T's need climbing space and you have to keep an eye on the humidity and temp...but a rose or a smithi, all they really need is some substrate, a water bowl, and a small hide and youre set... temp is easy, whatever's good for you should be fine for them. and just mist once in a while and youre good.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm looking for something that makes webs a lot not sure what kind do this.
Avicularia is a great a starter genus, and they web alot! They are easy for beginners to look after (but need adequate ventillation and misting). You mentioned you wanted a small species or one that doesn't need a big enclosure... A small avicularia would be the Avicularia minatrix.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want a big webber then a GBB is definitely what you want as far as a terrestrial T goes. They make amaziing webs, but also stay in view alot. I'm getting one this week....can't wait!! They are known to be pretty fast though. But all Ts can bring on the speed when they want..lol. The other suggestion would be any of the Brachypelmas. The old standby is the brachypelma smithi (mexican red-knee) and is the breed you see in most movies etc. They are also pretty hardy and the temp and humidity requirements are pretty easy to maintain. Just do a google search on "brachypelma" (images) and you'll see a WIDE variety. Then do a specific search on the ones you llike. There's too many to list...lol

Last edited:

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
I'll most likely go for the GBB already started doing research on them. I don't have any problems of keeping my current pets at their desired temp/humid levels.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
B.smithi is my suggestion if you want a terrestrial. The G.rosea is hit or miss for temperament.

I alway suggest an Avic. avic for a first. They get you used to how humidity levels need attention. This is just my humble opinion.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All tarantulas except maybe goliaths only need 5-10 gallon containers. Space shouldn't be an issue.