Looking for a t

AgileAttorney

Arachnopeon
Hey i dunno what i should get next and i need some advice i was looking for something out of the oridinary that is a fast grower and is cool looking. just shoot me some ideas to look around for.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how about p. metallica?
if you don't really like the price, how about p. formosa or cyriopagopus spec 'blue'?
as for terrestrials, i recommend b. albiceps (ex ruhnaui, usually very docile and alway out in the open) or any bonnetina. or check out my birthday thread for pics, i got a. bicoloratum and g. actaeon - both gorgeous ts and not ones you see in every collection (though not too pricey over here).

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It depends on what you are interested in DOING with your T...
Do you want to handle it? do you want to look at it?
Do you want it for display.. look but no touch...
An arboreal species are gorgeous, not handled much, and good display types..
You want to stay away from ones that while pretty in pictures are Burrowers OR heavy webbers.. Then you have a hole in the ground.. or a cage full of webs...
Look for terrestrial species that like to hang out and look pretty..
Ask about handling or not.. and be aware some of the Genus Brachypelma species while gorgeous and handleable have uriticating hairs and most people have a reaction to them.. so rubber gloves might be necessary..
I am by no means an advanced or intermediate T keeper...
But pick a couple of likely candidates.. look at pictures, research tank set ups, life spans, look up species info on websites like this one..
Then post your likely candidates here and ask which one would be right for you.. and be honest if you are going to want to handle it or not... and ask about heat/humidity, substate... all those things..
Then get the T most reccommended for your needs.

Carol

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Poecilotheria rufilata are very pretty but should not handl.Brachypelma emilia are good handling ts.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
be aware some of the Genus Brachypelma species while gorgeous and handleable have uriticating hairs and most people have a reaction to them.
Well, yes and no. *All* Brachys have urticating hairs, as well as all Grammostola and every single other New World tarantula, from avics to T. blondi. :)

AgileAttorney

Arachnopeon
im not looking to handle i just wanted to see if thier might be a t that does a must have behavior or something cool about it. if you look in my profile you can see what i already have, so any suggestions are cool.

Ive been thinking about getting a pokie.... maybe metallica if im feeling rich? thanks for all the replies too

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would go for a pokie. Grows fast, quite beautiful and they are out in the open more often than other arboreals.

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
Yes they do look cool. However I hardly ever see mine. Seems to always be hiding out somewhere.
thats harsh my friends is normally in the open on a piece of cork bark hes lent up against the side of his tank but he has made a big web structure round the top and if you startle him by being heavy footed walking up to him she will dart off into it not to be seen so i suppose it depends on your T and weather it wants to be seen or not

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, yes and no. *All* Brachys have urticating hairs, as well as all Grammostola and every single other New World tarantula, from avics to T. blondi. :)
Actually the Tap. sp and the Psalmopoeus sp are both NW but do not have uriticating hairs on them. (I believe Tap. do not but I do know the Psalmopoeus sp doesn't)

I agree on the P.rufilata there a beauty. If you want a Brachypelma then go with the albiceps or the klaasi. The klaasi is very skittish but is always not commonly avail. as well and they are a beauty to :D (mines is my avatar)