Looking for a scorp

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking about getting a scorpion, but I'm having a hard time choosing one (so many great choices {D ) so I figured I'd ask you guys for a good suggestion. Looking for a desert species, something I can keep on sand, and preferably larger so it can be a display scorp. I'm not that big of a handler, never have been and never will, so potency isn't too big a factor here. Although dying would be sort of inconvenient ;) What do you guys recommend?

-Rob

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I had one of them a while back. No complaints whatsoever, but I'd prefer to see what else is out there.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Parabuthus liosoma. Definitely one of my favorites. I have an adult female who is just as large and active as my HA.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you aren't going to handle them I agree p.leiosoma. Very medically significant sting but awesome!

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hadrurus Arizonensis/Spadix are the biggest desert scorpions and the most beginner friendly with the least toxic sting.

Hottentotta Hottentotta/Caboverdensis/Jayakari are amazingly fun to watch eat too, can also keep em on sand, things do back flips in attempt to take down larger prey, funnest scorp to watch eat i've ever had.

magicpan

Arachnopeon
I realize its not a true desert scorp but Pandinus imperator is a very good beginner scorp (in my opinion). I've had two for a long time and have noticed no attitude problems (does not act aggressive), nor is it as easily stressed out as some, but of course this varies on the individual scorp. I'm no expert on the subject but I did want to post this, even if it does just act as a reference.

-D

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree that Hadrurus arizonensis or H. Spadix is an excellent choice, seems easy available in the US and are big and active. Recomending scorpions from the Buthidae family to someone new to scorps appears to me as plain stupid....

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
b. jacksoni/b. gigas

good for beginners or experts
No desert species. On top of that, good for beginners AND experts sounds kind of contradictional, doesn't it? :D

He wrote that he already had some experience with "HA" and that he wants something else. He is not going to handle his scorp. So, that being said, species ranging from Hadogenes to Parabuthus could fit this description.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No desert species. On top of that, good for beginners AND experts sounds kind of contradictional, doesn't it? :D

He wrote that he already had some experience with "HA" and that he wants something else. He is not going to handle his scorp. So, that being said, species ranging from Hadogenes to Parabuthus could fit this description.
You mean he wants a desert species right?

Yeah, HA's have been mentioned. Any quick google shows b. jacksoni arent desert. I mention them because theyre great as pets for beginners or experts.

fine, a desert species? V. spinigerus