Looking for a new t....suggestions?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Really like the webbing. I am looking for something hardy that can be left on bone dry substrate, nice display animal, good active hunter, and preferably a good webber and not a pet hole. I don't know if OW is in the cards for me now.....having said that, I don't handle or plan on handling any of my ts.

Not a fan of the super fuzzy looking ts or the curly haired ones. I like long legs......
Neoholothele incei checks most of those boxes.

Reason why I don't want partially moist substrate is because sometimes I may have to leave for a 2-3 weeks and I don't want to have to worry.
I live in a humid climate, and mine does fine without micromanaging substrate moisture. I have left town for a week or more, and it was fine.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
What's wrong with partially moist substrate? You could do very little with watering the layers of the sub now and again and overflowing water dishes a bit and get a G. pulchra or pulchripes or a P. sazimai. With mine i only have to 'water' the sub once a week or so depending on how dry it is in the house.

Ok, I have modified my criteria slightly...bone-dry might be a bit extreme. I do overfill my gbb's water when filling it up. My A. anax is kept dry though with water dish.

What I really want is a t that can tolerate "negligence" in that I can go away for 2- 3 weeks (or longer in emergency situations like covid) and not worry if I prepared the enclosure properly.

So I want a good webber, terrestrial, good active hunter, and not a pet hole.

from above suggestions.

OBT (not sure, maybe, maybe not)
P. sazimai (I have a chance to get a male and female 5-6cm for 50 pounds)
N. incei (can pick up a juvi female for 24 pounds)
Grammostola iheringi (can only find slings for 20 pounds at the moment)

Not interested in puppy dog personalities

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Obt fits all your criteria quite well, most importantly it's almost indestructible, only potential downside is spicier venom (I see that as upside as it forces respect/caution for the animal).
OBTs can be total pet holes though.
but yes, they check off everything else. Love them.

cold blood

Staff member
incei require damp substrate.

Also note, ts that dont require damp sub all the time...many just like partially damp...can all be kept dry for periods of time, most would be fine for extended periods without issue, so your couple week trips wouldnt hamper your ability to keep most nw ts.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
N. incei is a good one. I give the slings a little moisture, but the adults I had were kept a bit on the dry side, in some cases like my GBB. Prolific webbers, eat like champs!!
So are you saying N. Incei can be kept dry?

mellow

Arachnobaron
If you are ok with an old world tarantula then I might recommend Harpactira pulchripes, they like dry substrate they web a lot and look super cool! And I heard that they are a great first old world tarantula! 😃

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Unless i missed it in this thread, You can keep Avicularia spp. and Caribena spp. bone dry. But this is the arboreal route, and might be a little too hairy. But if its dry husbandry you have to have these are pretty good choices. Literally cant go wrong with any species out of the few related genera!!

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
If you are ok with an old world tarantula then I might recommend Harpactira pulchripes, they like dry substrate they web a lot and look super cool! And I heard that they are a great first old world tarantula! 😃
I agree that they are stunning animals. But are they not fossorial , making them pet holes? Also having only 2 ts to my name (C.cyaneopubescens, A. anax) is this an ok route to go with?

Unless i missed it in this thread, You can keep Avicularia spp. and Caribena spp. bone dry. But this is the arboreal route, and might be a little too hairy. But if its dry husbandry you have to have these are pretty good choices. Literally cant go wrong with any species out of the few related genera!!
Don't want to go into arboreals just yet (due to space mainly)

Last edited:

mellow

Arachnobaron
I agree that they are stunning animals. But are they not fossorial , making them pet holes? Also having only 2 ts to my name (C.cyaneopubescens, A. anax) is this a ok route to with?

Don't want to go into arboreals just yet (due to space mainly)
I hear that Harpactira pulchripes like to stay out in the open and are a great display tarantula, but all tarantulas are different and you might end up with one that likes to hide, it should be fine just be a little extra careful. 😃

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
N. incei is a great webber.

Phormictopus are a bit leggy, and are pretty hardy. Some lay down some webbing, although it’s just on the substrate.

Phormictopus sp. purple
A9A35DA6-52C1-4753-9CC5-AA3EF7380C29.jpeg

Phormictopus auratus
22060B97-8DDA-4B86-898D-294656455A54.jpeg

As stated above, Grammostola iheringi are pretty leggy and do a bit of webbing. Also are great hunters and pretty high strung. Definitely not the typical Grammostola “puppy dog”
5EA33ED7-C523-4DDB-A138-26D83164E6D3.jpeg

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
So I settled on N. incei. My wife won't let me get any old worlds. Kids, cats, etc.....boo hoo hoo. Since I will be travelling, I pre-ordered a 4cm female. So now that that is settled:
1)What is a good size enclosure for her?
2)What size crickets/locusts, should I feed her. No roaches...wife doesn't let.

Last edited:

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Thank you arachnoboards! Thank you youtube for starting me on this addiction! So I have so far ordered an N. incei and 2 G. pulchras slings (hopefully 1 turns out to be female). My wife likes the black velvet look.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Grammostola iheringi is a great choice. Chalcodes matches the substrate reqs but doesn't web much. I still love them deeply. Highly under rated T in my book

Thank you arachnoboards! Thank you youtube for starting me on this addiction! So I have so far ordered an N. incei and 2 G. pulchras slings (hopefully 1 turns out to be female). My wife likes the black velvet look.
if you like the black velvet B Shroederi is a great one as well as all the T Vagans Variants

Last edited by a moderator:

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As the title says. I am new to the hobby. I keep 1 A. anax, C. cyaneopubescens

Really like the webbing. I am looking for something hardy that can be left on bone dry substrate, nice display animal, good active hunter, and preferably a good webber and not a pet hole.
A Brachypelma maybe? They don't web but they check all the other boxes. klaasi, boehmei and auratum seem to have the best feeding response (I have 4 of each so it's not based on a single specimen)

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
why not look at some of the pic threads some members post on here. pick one you like do the research until you find the one that checks all the boxes of what your looking for.more fun that way and you learn lots about different ts

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
So I have picked up 2 G. pulchra slings, 1 N. incei sling/juvie.......and.......
I just ordered 1 Homoeomma sp. blue peru 2 sling for good measure.

Rehousing the 2 G. pulchras was a joke, but the N. incei teleported on me! I stupidly decide to rehouse on my dining room table. Even though I put the enclosure inside a larger box, the t ran out of the larger enclosure across the table and onto the underside of the table. I manage to grab a cup and some cardboard and got it back into it's enclosure, sliding the lid quickly.

I guess this is my first foray into quick t's.

Can't wait for the Homoeomma sp. blue to arrive.

P.S. Can someone write out how to pronounce this Latin name for me. Is it Homy-oh-ma?

*edit*

What's the growth rate on Homoeomma sp. blue?

Last edited: