Looking for a new t....suggestions?

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
As the title says. I am new to the hobby. I keep 1 A. anax, C. cyaneopubescens

Really like the webbing. I am looking for something hardy that can be left on bone dry substrate, nice display animal, good active hunter, and preferably a good webber and not a pet hole. I don't know if OW is in the cards for me now.....having said that, I don't handle or plan on handling any of my ts.

Not a fan of the super fuzzy looking ts or the curly haired ones. I like long legs......

Not liking the beginnings of an addiction :)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

Really like the webbing. I am looking for something hardy that can be left on bone dry substrate, nice display animal, good active hunter, and preferably a good webber and not a pet hole. I don't know if OW is in the cards for me now.....having said that, I don't handle or plan on handling any of my ts.

Not a fan of the super fuzzy looking ts or the curly haired ones. I like long legs......

That's a very extensive list of wants...

Bone dry substrate takes quite a few species off the list.

Aphonopelma chalcodes? Aphonopelma bicoloratum?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Obt fits all your criteria quite well, most importantly it's almost indestructible, only potential downside is spicier venom (I see that as upside as it forces respect/caution for the animal).

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
GBB fit the bill perfectly for me.

So something along those lines maybe......Would I have to get into OWs do expand the possibilities?
Even most OW don't want BONE DRY substrate. P. Murinus is one that would meet your criteria, but they're crazily fast.

When I was 25 ish and doing cage cleanup with 12" tongs, I had one come up the tongs, up my arm, and onto my back in about 3 seconds total. Luckily I had someone else home to help me catch it afterwards

basin79

ArachnoGod
Obt fits all your criteria quite well, most importantly it's almost indestructible, only potential downside is spicier venom (I see that as upside as it forces respect/caution for the animal).
Venom potency shouldn't have zero correlation to respect or caution towards a tarantula. No one knows how their body will react to any venom.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
What's wrong with partially moist substrate? You could do very little with watering the layers of the sub now and again and overflowing water dishes a bit and get a G. pulchra or pulchripes or a P. sazimai. With mine i only have to 'water' the sub once a week or so depending on how dry it is in the house.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Venom potency shouldn't have zero correlation to respect or caution towards a tarantula. No one knows how their body will react to any venom.
Do you mean should have? As far as how their body will react sure, I'm sure there's a gradient based on your individual biochemistry but you really don't need to worry about new world bites at all, and overall theraposidae venom is composed of fairly shorter peptide (30-40 long) so chances of an allergic reaction are virtually impossible. I have heard of people having nerve pain and spasms months after a bite but even then it's not like keeping a cobra or something.

Partial source that shows that vast majority of tarantula venom peptides are smaller cysteine rich bonds, size of these toxic peptides is much smaller than other invert venom (say cone snail). For an allergic reaction to happen the peptide has to 'fit' in the corresponding receptor buuuuut if it's too small that won't really happen.

Last edited:

ErikElvis

Newb
Well bone dry kinda limits you. Just wetting a corner of coco coir every once in a while and providing a dish isn’t hard. In that case I’d say A Geniculata. Not a Webber though.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Do you mean should have? As far as how their body will react sure, I'm sure there's a gradient based on your individual biochemistry but you really don't need to worry about new world bites at all, and overall theraposidae venom is composed of fairly shorter peptide (30-40 long) so chances of an allergic reaction are virtually impossible. I have heard of people having nerve pain and spasms months after a bite but even then it's not like keeping a cobra or something.
Partial source that shows that vast majority of peptides are smaller cysteine rich bonds, size of these toxic peptides is much smaller than other invert venom (say cone snail). For an allergic reaction to happen the peptide has to 'fit' in the corresponding receptor buuuuut if it's too small that won't really happen.

Aye should. I re read and changed that several times alas auntie Stella is a rascal.

That's very interesting information and as such even though I'm wrong I still feel a tarantula shouldn't ever be taken for granted based on their venom. As in just because it's a NW doesn't mean you can be lax.

Also having a substance in the body (the venom) that doesn't/shouldn't be there can't be good. But yes, I've typed it before myself, and go a step further even if a TARANTULA WASN'T venomous the mechanical bite could cause alsorts of problems if the fanga hit a tendon, nerve or vein.

*******Edit off topic*********

Do you know why some have a really bad reaction to a hognose snake bite when most have no reaction?

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
What's wrong with partially moist substrate? You could do very little with watering the layers of the sub now and again and overflowing water dishes a bit and get a G. pulchra or pulchripes or a P. sazimai. With mine i only have to 'water' the sub once a week or so depending on how dry it is in the house.
I thought about G. pulchra, but the slowness of growth turns me a bit off.

P. sazimai looks beautiful but seems to like the moisture.

Reason why I don't want partially moist substrate is because sometimes I may have to leave for a 2-3 weeks and I don't want to have to worry.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If you’ve only owned 1 T prior, don’t get an OW, especially an OBT. You’re just asking for trouble.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aye should. I re read and changed that several times alas auntie Stella is a rascal.

That's very interesting information and as such even though I'm wrong I still feel a tarantula shouldn't ever be taken for granted based on their venom. As in just because it's a NW doesn't mean you can be lax.

Also having a substance in the body (the venom) that doesn't/shouldn't be there can't be good. But yes, I've typed it before myself, and go a step further even if a TARANTULA WASN'T venomous the mechanical bite could cause alsorts of problems if the fanga hit a tendon, nerve or vein.

*******Edit off topic*********

Do you know why some have a really bad reaction to a hognose snake bite when most have no reaction?

I agree man, overall respect and some degree of caution is always a good thing, I'm definitely more wary around more venomous animals though. I think there's potentially some merit, and incredible medical value to alot of venom, one of my idols when I was younger, renowned herpetologist Bill Haast, inoculated himself with O.hannah (king cobra) venom for years and built up an amazing immunity to many snake venoms, (local hospitals would use as an emergency antivenom) and was pretty healthy and died at the ripe age of like 95+. I think a certain degree of stressors are important in activating your body's immune system, longevity circuits and whole host of other stuff. On the other hand I'm sure there alot of people who suffer long term debilitating effects from venom exposure based on their own body biochemistry so double edged sword eh.

Mechanical damage from a theraposidae are also fairly low just because fangs are so damn sharp (like much, much sharper than hypodermic needle) and go in and out easy. I was corrected on that same belief by Stan Schultz on this site many years ago :) still I wouldn't volunteer my hand to a 10 inch T. Blondie cause I've seen big Ts crunch their fangs up and down again and again.

For the hognose snake, I think their rear fanged so most bites are dry by default unless they really chew and even front fanged snakes as adults have full control of their venom (venom is pretty biologically expensive and snakes need it digest their food) so if I remember the number right, almost 20-30% of venomous snake bites are dry. I think the reactions your referring to are probably localized allergic reactions as hognose snake venom is more suited for amphibians. So all in all prob a combination of weak venom, most dry bites and rear fanged with the special case probably allergic reactions.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I thought about G. pulchra, but the slowness of growth turns me a bit off.

P. sazimai looks beautiful but seems to like the moisture.

Reason why I don't want partially moist substrate is because sometimes I may have to leave for a 2-3 weeks and I don't want to have to worry.
Going away for 2-3 weeks isn't a major issue for most species in regards to moisture.

If you regularly go away for 2-3 weeks at a time then put your collection in larger containers than most would (by larger I mean deeper) and provide more substrate. More substrate that's damp takes longer to dry out than less substrate will.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I agree man, overall respect and some degree of caution is always a good thing, I'm definitely more wary around more venomous animals though. I think there's potentially some merit, and incredible medical value to alot of venom, one of my idols when I was younger, renowned herpetologist Bill Haast, inoculated himself with O.hannah (king cobra) venom for years and built up an amazing immunity to many snake venoms, (local hospitals would use as an emergency antivenom) and was pretty healthy and died at the ripe age of like 95+. I think a certain degree of stressors are important in activating your body's immune system, longevity circuits and whole host of other stuff. On the other hand I'm sure there alot of people who suffer long term debilitating effects from venom exposure based on their own body biochemistry so double edged sword eh.

Mechanical damage from a theraposidae are also fairly low just because fangs are so damn sharp (like much, much sharper than hypodermic needle) and go in and out easy. I was corrected on that same belief by Stan Schultz on this site many years ago :) still I wouldn't volunteer my hand to a 10 inch T. Blondie cause I've seen big Ts crunch their fangs up and down again and again.

For the hognose snake, I think their rear fanged so most bites are dry by default unless they really chew and even front fanged snakes as adults have full control of their venom (venom is pretty biologically expensive and snakes need it digest their food) so if I remember the number right, almost 20-30% of venomous snake bites are dry. I think the reactions your referring to are probably localized allergic reactions as hognose snake venom is more suited for amphibians. So all in all prob a combination of weak venom, most dry bites and rear fanged with the special case probably allergic reactions.
Yes allergic reactions. So why does a venom that's considered weak from a snake produce bad allergic reactions but a NW tarantula doesn't? Because of prey? I know cats aren't effected by Atrax robustus venom for instance.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes allergic reactions. So why does a venom that's considered weak from a snake produce bad allergic reactions but a NW tarantula doesn't? Because of prey? I know cats aren't effected by Atrax robustus venom for instance.
What composes the venom! Tarantula venom is made up of smaller peptides, snake venom is composed of different components, I'd have to do more research into hognose and snake venom to freshen up my knowledge (switched from molecular toxicology at Berkeley to behavioral neuroscience at UCLA, mainly cause the chumps at Berkeley switched molecular toxicology to a division in the department of nutritional science). Also different mammals react differently to different types of venom. And venom varies by species as well.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
What composes the venom! Tarantula venom is made up of smaller peptides, snake venom is composed of different things, I'd have to do more research into hognose and snake venom to freshen up my knowledge (switched from molecular toxicology at Berkeley to behavioral neuroscience at UCLA, mainly cause the chumps at Berkeley switched molecular toxicology to a division in the department of nutritional science).
Absolutely no need. I shall take your word. Thank you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
N. incei is a good one. I give the slings a little moisture, but the adults I had were kept a bit on the dry side, in some cases like my GBB. Prolific webbers, eat like champs!!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Well bone dry takes literally almost every sling off the table and a ton of adults