Looking for a new, reliable guard dog.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Our chow/sharpei (spelling?) is slowly dying on us, and we're looking for something that will grow into a reliable guard dog. Something that bond to humans as it grows (we plan to buy a puppy and raise it) and WON'T dig holes in the yard (my mom was very specific about that). Any thoughts/input?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In all honesty, if you want your house protected, you should just have an alarm installed.

vbrooke

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have a 1 year old German shepherd. So is 100% loyal, and very protective. If anyone or thing for that matter, she is on alert. She is also 100% sugar. Rhiannan watches over the kids if they are in the yard, until she decides it's time to play (she's still a puppy). I highly recommend them as a wonderful pet and guard dog. You figure the Police and Border Patrol use them for a reason. Very smart too. Also...1 last thing, she doesn't dig, but she is mostly an indoor dog.:cool:

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking about getting a Cane Corso a year ago. They are big, black, and not to be messed with. They use to be castle/estate gaurds in Italy, make sure to check the parents out. They are rather expensive 1000-1500 and have a bad reputation. If you get this breed you make sure you have liability insurance, no children, non frequent visitors, and you've done your research!

sassysmama

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really don't have any breed suggestions, but I used to assist a dog trainer and I now work as a vet tech so I have some insight into dog behavior.
The biggest thing is that many, many dogs (of many breeds) will dig when they are bored. If you get a high energy breed, and you are not home with it or walk it for at least an hour a day, there is a pretty good chance it will be very bored sitting in your yard waiting for something to bark at. That is also when they start barking all day long, out of boredom.
The police department may use german shepherds, but those dogs also have a job ALL day long. I love german shepherds and I have one too, but many of them end up in shelters because they drive people crazy. If you are willing to properly exercise a high energy dog, you shouldn't have a problem. I think you just need to honestly look at what kind of dog you want, one that will need a lot of time with you, or one that can be left alone and needs minimal exercise. Chows and Sharpeis are both known for being rather aloof. That actually makes a good dog to guard property, because they tend to be ok sitting by themselves for the day and they don't seem to develop neurotic habits. In my experience, every breed is going to be good for someone, it's just that you have to find a dog that fits your life, not try to fit your life around a dog. Good luck in your search for the right breed. It might be good to talk to a breed rescue for some of the breeds you are considering, because they often do have puppies, and they can usually tell you the good, bad, and the ugly of that breed.
-Ally

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In all honesty, if you want your house protected, you should just have an alarm installed.
I agree. If you already have an alarm system installed, then logically, I'm not sure why you would want a dog solely for the purposes of guarding.

Keep in mind that despite the possible threatening physical appearance of a dog, it won't really do that much to protect you. In the 1800's, when all you had was an intruder, unarmed and with little to protect themselves, then yes. A dog would probably work.

In today's era...with firearms, toxins, medicines, etc... I'd say someone who wanted to break into a house is going to, and they're going to end up killing your dog in the process.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. If you already have an alarm system installed, then logically, I'm not sure why you would want a dog solely for the purposes of guarding.

Keep in mind that despite the possible threatening physical appearance of a dog, it won't really do that much to protect you. In the 1800's, when all you had was an intruder, unarmed and with little to protect themselves, then yes. A dog would probably work.

In today's era...with firearms, toxins, medicines, etc... I'd say someone who wanted to break into a house is going to, and they're going to end up killing your dog in the process.
Not only this, some people who break into houses know dogs really well so even if it is a guard dog, people who know dogs wel can easily find a way to get the dog to leave them alone without harming the dog in anyway.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Australian shepherds= loyal to the max and they will let you know when anything is coming around, they are the best alarm systems.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer

A dog is an awesome deterrent to have ,proven time and time again.

On several occasions in my life I would probably be dead without my pooch waken me up to a threat. One being an intruder punk coming through my porch and other situations.

It is different than somebody training a dog to just be mean and therefore dangerous

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"many dogs (of many breeds) will dig when they are bored. If you get a high energy breed, and you are not home with it or walk it for at least an hour a day, there is a pretty good chance it will be very bored sitting in your yard waiting for something to bark at."

I agree completely with that statement. I have bluetick coonhounds. If you want an alarm system that can be heard 1/2 mile away they are your dog but they are super high energy dogs. If you jog or hunt or are out a lot they make an excellent companion and are usually very friendly to other dogs and people when they are not on their own territory. At home they are more protective and their voices are extremely LOUD. They also are very affectionate and nothing is cuter than a hound pup tripping over its ears.

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think people are getting hung-up so to speak on the 'guard dog' term. If you want a true guard dog you'd be talking about a highly trained animal (expensive), that maybe wouldn't be the best pet. Lots of breeds are naturally protective of thier homes and owners: bullmastiff, cane corso, presa, standard poodle, etc...but they all need lots of attention and basic training from you the owner so you don't end up with a 100+ pound run-away train. Please don't get a pit bull and try to make it a guard type dog, they are great dogs, I have one, but they are people based dogs, not guard dogs. Hope this helps a little.... Oh, sorry to hear about your current dog. That's not a fun thing.....

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you liked your chow/sharpei mix, why don't you try and get another one?

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You might want to look into breeds with their ears up- not cropped, but naturally up. They have a better sense of hearing, and are more alert to dangers. A nice big shepherd would be good.

We've got a chihuahua and an english mastiff. Either one is useless on their own, but as a team, they work wonderfully. The chihuahua listens for people outside, and barks, which alerts the mastiff. And you don't want to mess with a 175 pound dog (he's on the small side). But if the chihuahua isn't home, the mastiff doesn't really listen for things. And of course, a 4 pound dog doesn't work so well for guarding.

vbrooke

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go for a rot and have it trained.:D
Or, if you want a breed that is very protective, loyal and will scare people from entering your house, Get a Pitbull. They have a bad reputation, but a well bred, well trained pit could be the best pet/guard dog ever!:D :D

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or, if you want a breed that is very protective, loyal and will scare people from entering your house, Get a Pitbull. They have a bad reputation, but a well bred, well trained pit could be the best pet/guard dog ever!:D :D
That would do it{D

vbrooke

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That would do it{D
I tell you what, I worked in the vet field a long time, love all dogs. I will never walk into a yard with a Pitbull or Rotti in it that I don't know!!! Sounds like a good alarm system to me.:evil:

dovii88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
husky all the way..smart, alert, all around good dogs..but can be stubborn lol..but my female..watches the outside all the time..