Looking for a good idea...

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I have 3 OBT's, among other T's. I like for mine to be display animals rather than hidden away on a shelf. I have recently been trying to come up with a way to "darken" their containers to set off their orange highlights. I was able to spraypaint the outside (back) of their new homes a nice dark navy blue(almost black but not quite) what I now need is to come up with a way to (1)darken their substrate ( I use coco fiber, but would be willing to use something else if needed, they really web up good, so substrate is irrelevant to them.)
(2) darken their cork logs that I refashened for their hides.

I was thinking about soaking the cork in a dark food coloring or fabric dye? If I were able to use the fabric dye for the cork would I also be able to use it for the coco fiber?
I don't think that spray painting the cork would be a good idea even if I kept it outside for a few days, still not worth the risk, so I'm hoping some of you may have some good ideas, thanx.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Chances are no matter what you use the T will web over it, making it white(r) in color.

Food type dyes for the cork seem safe enough. Let us know.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say try using straight peat moss for substrate. It's darker than coconut fiber. Just make sure it's plain peat moss without any soil ammendments or fertilizers. Food coloring is not really harmful I don't think, but I don't think it would dry enough to keep from rubbing off onto stuff. Hate to see it rub off onto your T.