Looking for a Centipede

Michael 13

Arachnopeon
Hey guys i am brand new to the website and wanted to ask a question, i love how centipedes look and like the concept of owning one, i currently don't own any other animal and would love to get a centipede, but i have no idea where to start and dont wanna break the bank, also many online stores charge 40+ dollars for shipping, basically i am looking to get a centipede but not break my bank, any suggestions on the type or where to look?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You live in Florida. You have plenty of cool native centipedes. If you want one cheap, go out hiking at night with a good flashlight. Check gardens, yards, parks, vacant lots, etc. (Just steer clear of protected areas like game refuges, state or national parks, etc.) Turn over rocks and bits of debris. (Watch out for snakes.) Have a large, clear catch-cup ready. They are fast, so you need to drop the cup over it quickly, then slide a sheet of stiff paper underneath the edge of the cup so you can flip it and put the lid on. Avoid the temptation to grab it bare-handed - centipedes have venomous forelegs that could give you a very painful stab.

If you can't catch one yourself, keep an eye out for reptile shows in your area - there are a number of people at those shows selling inverts such as tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes, etc. You can also check the classifieds here for any local breeders/sellers in your area. I know we do have some Florida people here - you might be able to pick one up locally. Finally, you can also check your local exotic pet shops. The same shops that sell reptiles will often sell inverts as well.

Michael 13

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for your time, i will try and find one around here its very dry right now but i am sure with some luck i could nab one, thank you for your reply and if i cant catch one i will take all of that into consideration, thanks again and happy buggin :D

Xafron

Arachnosquire
You could always look at local pet stores in your area too. Not as commonly sold in pet stores (at least where I am), but I've still seen a few.

Michael 13

Arachnopeon
alright, update for anyone who cares, i looked around all my pet stores and most just laughed at me lol, but aside from that ive been hunting two nights down here and found nothing i think the lack of rain we have been having might have made this the wrong time to try to catch a friend, but thank you guys for your help and happy bugging :D