looking for a bug for my son..please help me choose one

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think hissers might release a similar chemical, but I'm not sure.
I've definently been goo'd by Lats and Dubia though. Whether or not it includes cyanide is beyond my knowledge.
I'm fairly certain hissers release a defense chemical as well but it doesn't cause the bruising/discoloration effect that the millipede does. I think that one is mostly to make them "taste bad".

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another vote for Giant Madagascar Hissing roaches. They get fairly large and are pretty hardy. The spines do hurt a bit though if they decide to stick you with them but not bad.

I wouldn't recommend a millipede for a child that young. They release a chemical when stressed that is similar in compound to cyanide and when this chemical is released onto bare skin it causes what looks like blood bruises under the skin. (yes I have experienced this myself when moving baby millipedes). Also if for some reason he decides to stick his hand in his mouth while handling (who knows why he would but children are strange) and has any of this defense compound on his hands it could possibly make him sick.
It's similar to cyanide because it IS cyanide (along with other stuff like benzoquinones). Their secretions are pretty noxious, so NOT suitable for a kid that might put stuff in his mouth.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's similar to cyanide because it IS cyanide (along with other stuff like benzoquinones). Their secretions are pretty noxious, so NOT suitable for a kid that might put stuff in his mouth.
You're speaking of millipedes, not hissers, right?

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
Reality check, people! Do we really want to encourage a 2 year old to nurture roaches? REALLY? What if he accidentely knocks over the bin, eh? WHAT THEN?!! It'll be chaos!

This moment of hysteria has been brought to you by my paranoia. You may now return to your regularly scheduled postings.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Reality check, people! Do we really want to encourage a 2 year old to nurture roaches? REALLY? What if he accidentely knocks over the bin, eh? WHAT THEN?!! It'll be chaos!

This moment of hysteria has been brought to you by my paranoia. You may now return to your regularly scheduled postings.
Then they will probably be killed off by a Pennsylvania winter, and lack of food, as well as winter dryness.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hissers would be great if you don't want to spend the $$ on milli's. You could just get a few adults cheap. And no, they don't excrete anything other than frass, and maybe the occasional spit (like all other bugs).

jt39565

Arachnoknight

My personal opinion would be that the child could have a kritter keeper with just a couple of females and wouldn't have to worry about the release. Everyone knows that a 2yo child would NEVER play with an insect when he wasnt supposed to.
Seriously though, the hissers would not be able to survive they arent like our pests, hissers would be a cool pet or again my fav for a child, millipede.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
My 6 year old daughter has hissing cockroaches, tessalata cockroaches & a desert millipede. They are all great/safe choices & are easy for her to take care of. Kim

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My little nephew loves seeing my Hissing "cockroachers".

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
thanks everyone for your help. I am going to go with the roaches :)A very sweet person offered to send a few roaches for just the price of shipping and I am really excited. I can not believe these did not cross my mind because my little brother wanted one so badly when he was young lol. Xhedex your son is adorable!! And the picture of the little girl with that milipede is amazing! I had no idea they got so big and what a cutie! I may give these a try once he is older but I would love to see the look on his face if he came across one of those lol. Dont worry about them getting loose. I watch him like a hawk. The hissers could be useful for my Ts but I would only do that if he had to many to count. I would not be able to tell him because he was quite heartbroken when he caught my one of my obt slings "hurt" the cricket :(

Last edited:

jt39565

Arachnoknight
You'll have to post a pic of him with his "roachies" as my nephew calls them.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
lol I will :) he always hams it up for the camera.. lets hope the roaches do the same :p

0siris

Arachnosquire
I would personally prefer the millipede over the roach. I just don't think its a good idea to keep roaches as pets. Definitely stay away from tarantulas at that age.

That millepede looks awesome by the way ^^

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I never thought I would keep roaches as pets but they will be in the livingroom soon. I cant wait lol I LOVE getting packages with critters in em. Yeah he wont be getting his own tarantula until he is atleast 5.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
if those idea don't work i would recommend trying a reptile (lizards are great beginners) i know not a bug but i think your son would love one just the same there a bit more to take care of but great pets

i recommend a beardie (bearded dragon) they eat many types of greens and insects and are very very VERY friendly even from babys (i have 3!!!)

also leopard geckos (not the best choice because they will drop there tails for self defense and know some little ones they might wana play with it

but if he is told i think he would respect it

GOOD LUCK!!!

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Congrats on getting your son some hissers! I'm sure he'll love them!