Look who has a new home! Is the setup good?

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
So i rehoused my Brachypelma Smithi, because she would climb the walls of her old enclosure all the time, so i thought she didn't like it there.

Is the new setup good? Here are photos of the old one (the smaller one) and the new one.

I will add more substrate! there´s not enought of it, I know, I should´ve gone for more.

Attachments

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I agree that you should add more substrate. I would probably put in another 4 inches.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
I agree that you should add more substrate. I would probably put in another 4 inches.
When I waspreparing it my dad was like "do not use more than half the cube, that´s way too muhc" well, I should´ve gone with my gut and use the whole cube... oh well, i´ll just prepare it and add it there

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Well... the substrate is still the biggest concern. Give it more, it won't cause any harm, it is for your T's health. I would take out those stones too, if the T fall on one of them, it could hurt her seriously. One hide is enough, the coco is better. That hide made of stones and woods... I think that is a bit dangerous.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So i rehoused my Brachypelma Smithi, because she would climb the walls of her old enclosure all the time, so i thought she didn't like it there.
Well you definitely created that enclosure with love, but there's a few changes that could be made. I like to keep their setups simple, give it a hide, water dish and a reasonable amount of space to roam. Your B.smithi was likely just getting used to its old home, that or it was climbing the glass because the sub was too moist. I'd clear out all the extra rocks and add a lot more sub, other then that looks good.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

Is the new setup good? Here are photos of the old one (the smaller one) and the new one.

I will add more substrate! there´s not enought of it, I know, I should´ve gone for more.
Agreed more sub is needed and I would remove the rocks, their a real hazard for a T especially in the enclosure the way it is set - up at the moment, once these are seen to the jobs a good one.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Well... the substrate is still the biggest concern. Give it more, it won't cause any harm, it is for your T's health. I would take out those stones too, if the T fall on one of them, it could hurt her seriously. One hide is enough, the coco is better. That hide made of stones and woods... I think that is a bit dangerous.
The rocks are a real hazard for the T, they would rupture the spider as they look very sharp, I've just posted to a thread regarding the subject "rocks v cork bark"

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
I love seeing someone who obviously cares for the animals they own by wanting to build them a nice enclosure, it shows you have passion for the hobby, and thats just awesome! I really cant add anything that hasnt already been said, other than its good to see someone ask for and take the advice of others with more experience. That adds up you eventually being someone who passes on good advice and learning experiences to others yourself in time, keep up the good work!

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
I love seeing someone who obviously cares for the animals they own by wanting to build them a nice enclosure, it shows you have passion for the hobby, and thats just awesome! I really cant add anything that hasnt already been said, other than its good to see someone ask for and take the advice of others with more experience. That adds up you eventually being someone who passes on good advice and learning experiences to others yourself in time, keep up the good work!
Thank you!!! I am so, so happy you feel this way, because when it comes to my pets, there is nothing that would be more dear to me!
I just got to the hobby very recently, and Oncie is my first and only baby tarantula, but I love her with my whole heart and I would defnitelly love to get more Ts.
As soon as I rehoused her I started to have doubts about her new home, especially because she still climbed the walls and the subsrate is very low and teh rock were dangerous to my little lady. I took the rocks out like 20 minutes after I set the enclosure up, and I´ll add more substrate tomorrow rigth when it dries. She´s hidden in one of her hides now and seems to enjoy it.

Gotta do my best to keep my fluffy baby happy!

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Your welcome, keep learning and you will do well. Substrate that is too moist will def cause Brachys and Grammastolas to climb the sides if the enclosures. They like it dry. The climbing will eventually stop usually, but yes do add more substrate. Brachys are my favorites, always have been.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd add that you should quadruple the size of the water dish...that's a sling size dish.