look what happen to my regalis!!

deadly_elegance

Arachnopeon
when I checked my regalis I was glad that it already molted but when I observed my spider thoroughly I was shocked!! I now have a crippled P.regalis!!

will it regenerate into its normal form after its next molt??

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the container looks too crowded or too narrow for it... i dont know about T's but i think space is also important for molts.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what i think happened is that there wasnt enough room in that small container for your spider to molt so when it did molt the leg broke because as it was pushed out of the old skin up against the wall it bent and broke.

It should re grow the leg back durng the next few molts. and its not really crippled unless this happened to all the legs.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i can't see the pic while i am at work, but i do want to comment on the "the container looks too crowded or too narrow for it"

tarantulas, and spiders in general seem to need only a tiny amount of room to molt successfully. i have had tarantulas molt while they were being shipped to me and they were fine. i keep a lot of my spiders in "too small" of space according to a lot of people and i hhave less trouble than most with molts and what not, it seems. i have never had a spider get messed up from molting in a small space. i have had scorpions die from trying to molt while in shipment... and seen scorps get deformed... but never tarantulas.

i will have to take a look at the picture when i get home :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have only seen this once, and on her next molt she should produce a new straight leg. She may chose to cast off that leg if its in the way, but she looks very healthy other then the leg so she should be fine.
Container is not the problem it was just a weird molt.

EDIT, Caco got it in there above me to, but I have had things molt in transit and I keep smaller containers as well and that does not seem to be an issue.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Well, I have noticed that after all my tarantulas molt, they like to spread their legs out very far, as straight as they can get them. And they will sit there like that for a while. Couple of hours or longer maybe. Like they want to stretch everything out after that molt.

I too have to comment on the small space that spider has. I would move it to a container that has more width. At least enough for the spider to strech out.

Good luck w/ her.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Similiar thing happened to my ornata. What happened was it was not able to fully remove is leg from the molt befor its new exo started to harden.

Should be good as new after the next molt.

How tall is the container, if its less than two t lengths, I might consider rehousing into something bigger. Though by next molt it probably would need to be rehoused.

Good luck with the t.

deadly_elegance

Arachnopeon
well after my P.regalis got its leg broke it hid into the hollow portion of the plastic wood I expect that my T will be out in the open in a week or two but I was hoping that its leg will be fine the next time I see it

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
too narrow of an enclosure. probably couldnt molt fully. Pokies get huge and she should be in a much wider area. not too excessive, but at least three leg lengths in width.

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats not enough room hommie.. :( tall tanks yes.. but at least give it about body length and a half in Diam...

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my h. gigas always molts in her burrow and its more cramped than that container. have never had an issue so far. and shes 7 inch's long. so i find it hard to blame on the size of the enclosure.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my h. gigas always molts in her burrow and its more cramped than that container. have never had an issue so far. and shes 7 inch's long. so i find it hard to blame on the size of the enclosure.
exactly

i don't understand how people can read that i have had spiders shipped to me that molted in a TINY CRAMPED FULL OF PAPER TOWELS shipping container with no problem and still say it looks cramped and that is what led to the trouble. i have a 7" ornata the made a molting hammock on top of two edges of cork park in the very top neck of a large jug and she molted fine... they typically molt in their houses in the wild, which are not very large at all.

the problem with this is that if there is a genuine problem that is overlooked then the spider might have problems on its next molt

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These things just happen for whatever reason, I have had T's in 10 Gall. tanks molt out with a funky foot or something, and that is typically way bigger than most people keep their T's in.