Look at my pupper fish and tell me she's adorable!

How much do you love her?

• Completely

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Entirely

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Whole-heartedly

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Pathologically

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Terminally

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Feral

Arachnobaron
It's cumpulsory. :happy:

This is my beloved Digitsi.
She is a Carinotetraodon travancoricus/Dwarf Indian Puffer.
She lives with a nerite snail/Nerium oleander, a couple Amano shrimp/Caridina multidentata, and some grass shrimp/Palaemonetes.
And a bunch of plants.
She is super smart and beautiful and interactive and she always makes me smile, unfailingly!
She is my water dog, my sweet baby pupper fish.

I just can't express how how absurdly adorable Digitsi is, and how deeply I love her.
Don't look at her pictures too long, or she will ensnare you, too!

One of my favorite things she does is, at her bedtime, she powers down her skin pigment so that she's a dull, slightly mottled tan color on her topside.
I call it "putting on her jammies". :happy:
Then she finds a particularly comfy spot, usually a nice soft leaf, and snuggles in to her chosen bed to sleepy time.
It's the cutest expletive thing you will ever see. Ever.

I could talk about her for hours.

LOOK AT HER!!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Feral

Arachnobaron
Aaaw... no one else has come to love on Digitsi. It's tragic. Criminal!

She is curled up on her little leaf right now, crying herself to sleep...

Heartbreaking.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Think a 5 or 10 second loop GIF or her sleeping as a screen saver and soporific for insomniacs.

Feral

Arachnobaron
But... but... I couldn't because I'd fall into such a deep trance-like enchantment while trying to film it that I couldn't finish recording.

And if I did manage to capture it, all of you who watched it would be like-wise mesmerized and enraptured.

Do you all want to become mindless slaves to her adorability?! :wideyed:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Puffer fish are ridiculously cute. I was thinking of buying a Tetraodon suvattii a few years ago. They're more hide in the sand and grab prey though.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Puffer fish are ridiculously cute. I was thinking of buying a Tetraodon suvattii a few years ago. They're more hide in the sand and grab prey though.
Agreed! Ridiculously cute! The suvatti are def so cool looking. Of the ambush hunters, I think the baileyi/Hairy Puffer a is super cool little fuzzy/hairy rock/potato that all of a sudden WHOMP! swallows a fish. And then you're like, "Wait, that hairy potato was a fish?!" lol But for me, I tend to prefer the active style hunters, they're so much more interactive and therefore seem more inquisitive and smarter to me (sorry ambush puffers lol) even though I know they're all smart and inquisitive. Twenty years ago I had a baileyi/Figure 8 and back then there wasn't much scientific knowledge on how smart they actually are, like we know now, but he was always blowing my mind with his brainyness!

And I love how they have little independently moving eyes, like chameleons, and have excellent eyesight and are so curious. Digitsi carefully watches every little thing that happens in that room, kinda like how @The Snark described Snit the cat. Such super curious creatures, and it's super endearing!

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It's pretty cute... For a fish lol.
Nice puffer! I always wanted to try keeping them but never have

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Only now realizing it is not a 'pupper fish' but a puffer fish :bucktooth:
I thought it was a cutesy invented nickname or common name... Should have googled the species :rofl:
Puffer fish are cute as heck, I always think of Finding Nemo when I read or see one :D
You have a salt water aquarium going then @Feral? I've heard/read it is a lot of work and maintenance, is that true?

Feral

Arachnobaron
Only now realizing it is not a 'pupper fish' but a puffer fish :bucktooth:
I thought it was a cutesy invented nickname or common name... Should have googled the species :rofl:
Puffer fish are cute as heck, I always think of Finding Nemo when I read or see one :D
You have a salt water aquarium going then @Feral? I've heard/read it is a lot of work and maintenance, is that true?
Yeah, sorry, confusing... I call her my "pupper" fish because she's so much like a dog, like a little pup. :rofl: But you are definitely right, she is in actuality a puffer fish, you're right.

No, I have never done a salt water or brackish tank. I've only ever kept freshwater puffers* and fish and inverts. I know some salt water/brackish things in theory, but I'm ignorant in practice. But I know enough to say they definitely ARE more work in some ways because they require more education, more experience, closer monitoring, and more stability. And most marine fish way way more sensitive than your standard, common pet store fish, because they're almost all wild caught and imported (makes them more fragile), have parasites because they're WC (makes them more fragile), and are more sensitive to water conditions and quality (because the ocean stays way more clean and way more stable than freshwater).

All puffers (fresh, brackish, or salt) also tend to be more fragile than other fish because they're a "scaleless" fish and don't have operculae (gill flaps/coverings) which makes them overly sensitive to water quality and medications. Also they're nearly all wild caught and imported, they're prone to parasites, they have a big bioload and are messy eaters which fouls their water quality quickly, and they're especially smart which makes them more prone to environmental stress.

But they're just so danged interesting and charming, I can't help but be gaga for my girl.

(*technically Figure 8s are brackish, but back when I had one there wasn't any internet info on them, my aquarium books didn't cover them, and fellow hobbyists told me freshwater was good. It was all wrong. :sorry: They are supposed to transition from fresh to brackish as they age, and keeping them in fresh shortens thier lifespan. So mine didn't have a full life, that was a terrible thing, tragic, and I STILL feel crazy guilty!:sorry:)

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Awesome puffer @Feral! I need to get myself some when I have the space for the large tanks they require.

Saltwater aquariums are not all that hard to keep, you just need some discipline to do your weekly maintenance and keep up with everything (look at me talking; I need to go do a water change). Also, a larger amount of fish are being captive bred (and you can get very healthy wild caught specimens), so you don't have to necessarily cure sick fish to keep a saltwater aquarium. Not to mention there are corals in every color, shape, size, and care level.

The tank I share with my brother. Still a little bare, but corals are growing and the fish seem happy enough! Need to add some more corals here soon though...
IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0484 (1).jpg IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0485.jpg
Tried to get a photo of the filefish pair, but they are pretty camera-shy.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Attachments