Longest time between molts

Paiige

Arachnobaron
So prior to posting this, I did a quick search to see if it had been posted before (which of course it has...but back in 2012, so I figured maybe the numbers could be a little different four years later); what is the the longest you personally have had a T go between molts?

I'm on 3.5 years with my 8-year-old porteri. Went through a one-year period of saying "any day now!" and at this point I've just stopped caring.

I'm going to guess this thread will be dominated by Grammastola sp :p

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
From the species I keep, it´s P. muticus. My four small ones have only moulted once since I got them in May.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I haven't been back into the keeping of T's long enough to compare to your G porteri, but after of flurry of molting activity many months ago, it's been quite a while since anything has molted for me. Worst is my A genticulata who is in a long premolt. She looks miserable. Poor girl.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I haven't been back into the keeping of T's long enough to compare to your G porteri, but after of flurry of molting activity many months ago, it's been quite a while since anything has molted for me. Worst is my A genticulata who is in a long premolt. She looks miserable. Poor girl.
That's the worst - when everything molts at the same time, it's exciting (albeit stressful) for a short amount of time but then there's the long, painful period of waiting while all your Ts are essentially...doing nothing. Thank god for my G pulchra sling or I'd be going crazy.

And yeah that's why I just want my porteri to just go ahead and get the molting over with - the poor thing is just fat, grumpy and bald :(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The longest pre-molt phase so far was my E.campestratus female. She wasn't even that big, and didn't grow much when she finally molted, but she dug in without food for six months. She stayed in her burrow during those months, only coming out for a drink. Good thing I could see her through the underside of the enclosure, or I would've gone mad with worry. She's always out normally, so it was a bit weird to see her going to ground.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Although i have not owned the T for the entire time I have a MM G. porteri that is 3 years old.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That would be my A. chalcodes that will be at the three year mark in a couple of months. Bought her as an adult female almost three years ago.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
The longest pre-molt phase so far was my E.campestratus female. She wasn't even that big, and didn't grow much when she finally molted, but she dug in without food for six months. She stayed in her burrow during those months, only coming out for a drink. Good thing I could see her through the underside of the enclosure, or I would've gone mad with worry. She's always out normally, so it was a bit weird to see her going to ground.
I would be so sad if my girls hid while in premolt. They are at least nice enough to sit out in the open and remind me they are in premolt for an indefinite amount of time...:arghh:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would be so sad if my girls hid while in premolt. They are at least nice enough to sit out in the open and remind me they are in premolt for an indefinite amount of time...:arghh:
That's why i have more tarantula, so there is always someone hungry, needing cleaning or a bigger house. No time to be sad about a burrower :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
That's why i have more tarantula, so there is always someone hungry, needing cleaning or a bigger house. No time to be sad about a burrower :)
Literally all of mine are in premolt right now :banghead: Except for little G pulchra, who is my saving grace in times like these :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have something molting weekly it seems if not more often. I think the only ones who haven't molted in my care are my P.cam adult female and a GBB that I think is a female as well. Everything else molts pretty regularly. The little A.avics have been popping this week along with the biggest of the H.pulchripes slings I have.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I had an adult female Pelinobius muticus for two and a half years before her first molt in my care, and I've got a Grammostola porteri that I've had about that long who still hasn't molted.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Please only love for the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH -- Peace Be Upon Her

for that everytime "forever to molt/grow" etc are discussed, jumps out the lovely Goddess new scientific name. Please 'No heresy', the reason of that 'slow' 100% nature fact is only due for enjoy more time with the Goddess :kiss:

The Goddess: a friend that will never betray you... you don't see Her, but she's always at your side. Don't forget the special meal for Christmas to offer to your Goddess and to "YT" Home Alone "O Holy Night" OST while she eat.

Long Live the Goddess.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I had an adult female Pelinobius muticus for two and a half years before her first molt in my care, and I've got a Grammostola porteri that I've had about that long who still hasn't molted.
I'm pretty sure porteri just can't be bothered to molt at a certain point. Like they just get too lazy and are like eh, I'm gonna stop eating so I don't grow anymore because I don't feel like molting

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So prior to posting this, I did a quick search to see if it had been posted before (which of course it has...but back in 2012, so I figured maybe the numbers could be a little different four years later); what is the the longest you personally have had a T go between molts?

I'm on 3.5 years with my 8-year-old porteri. Went through a one-year period of saying "any day now!" and at this point I've just stopped caring.

I'm going to guess this thread will be dominated by Grammastola sp :p
I mentioned in another thread a few days ago about how my G pulchra adult female hadn't moulted since November 2015 well after looking through my records it is infact my adult female Gbb that hasn't moulted since Nov 2015. My sweetheart G pulchra hasn't moulted since july 2015 and is still completely jet black instead of the telltale brown

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
My near thirteen year old Lp took about two years for her last molt...and I was lucky enough to be around when she did so I could snag the exuvium and make it look like another spider :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I mentioned in another thread a few days ago about how my G pulchra adult female hadn't moulted since November 2015 well after looking through my records it is infact my adult female Gbb that hasn't moulted since Nov 2015. My sweetheart G pulchra hasn't moulted since july 2015 and is still completely jet black instead of the telltale brown
Yeah my pulchra is just starting to get his/her black color finally, it's a little more prominent after each molt now! That brown had me questioning if I was sold the correct T at first...