Longest fangs

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, the other day someone posted a question on my website that I couldn't answer. She asked which tarantula has the proportionately longest fangs to it's body size? I know the T Blondi probably has the longest fangs, but compared to the T body size, does anyone know if certain species have unusually long fangs? I have a suspicion that some of the baboon spiders have rather long chelicerae for their size :confused:

Last edited:

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So 70 odd views later, no one has commented! Does nobody know or have any opinion? :(

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry... i was one of your views but don't know nearly enough to comment. :?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have noticed that my chilobrachys "burmensis" have relatively long fangs:)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Mr T. There are always alot of guests online viewing all the pages. And there is of course a lil thing called time difference. I would suggest waiting a day & then checking out the responses. That's what I do anywayz.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have no clue, i couldnt even venture a guess. I can however say that in my collection the 2 largest Ts ihave now are a Female G. rosea and a Mature Male A. anax. The mature male anax has fangs that appear thinner and longer than any one in my collection.

Kohler

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my opinion, Citharischius crawshayi... T.blondi may be too
my T with longest fangs is a G.pulchra

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Proportional to body size it is hard to tell. You don't see much of them most of the time anyway!

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am not sure either..but my Goliath [although now deceased] had some huge fangs.

here ya go..for reference!

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Mr T. There are always alot of guests online viewing all the pages. And there is of course a lil thing called time difference. I would suggest waiting a day & then checking out the responses. That's what I do anywayz.
I agree with that Aubz, however there had been 70 views with no reply when I posted my second one ;)
Thanks for the input all :) Still wish I could find some sort of accurate reference :rolleyes:

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Taki

It's always annoying when you post and get no answer, but the question is fairly technical, and not one of opinion, so most of us that read the post and declined to answer did so out of respect for your quest, as we simply do not know. Sorry. ;)

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No problem at all. Just google myself to a standstill trying to find an answer with no success :)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck in your Google Quest mate. The more I think about it though, I'm gonna have to say T Blondi. If my memory serves the fangs are 25% of the body lenght.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can speak only from my limited experience. Of my 4 adults (G rosea, B smithi, H lividum and C fasciatum) the biggest fangs are definitely on the B smithi. Yes unbelievers the smithi is actually toothier than the cobalt!

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
OK ..

many problems come to mind with this very interesting question..

What parameters are we going to use?
- fang length? entire chelicerea? or just the dark and shiny smooth fang
not that difficult but needs to be clarified

then the stickler.
if we are going to use a proportion ( by species ) what can we use?
Body length chel. to spinn. varies too much with diet and hydration
Length measured using the Leg I to Leg IV method is unfair to the leggy arboreals when a ratio is applied.

I would propose a carapace diameter as a more appropriate measure of the true size of a T. for it truly does grow more evenly and does not change with diet and hydration.

Now one more question.. if we want a single species to emerge as a winner..
at what age do we measure?
do we use Male and female numbers and average them?
does the ratio remain the same throughout the growth of a T ?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think we should go with bite-hole size. We'll take what we presume to be the top 5, let them bite our hand then compare diameter of the wound. Taki, since this is your thread, you can go first.

lolol

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CLASSIC. Needed that laugh after the day I had. But unfortunately he has some sort of mojo and he can 'tame' any T. He also has a lil boy that handles Cobalt's & Goliath's. It's truely amazing. He has even offered us the challenge of bringing him ANY T we have that is unhandleble (if I can use that word) and within 2 or 3 days he will be handling that T. I'm sure he won't mind posting a pic of him or his kid with his male Goliath. Hint Hint Taki.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK ..

many problems come to mind with this very interesting question..

What parameters are we going to use?
- fang length? entire chelicerea? or just the dark and shiny smooth fang
not that difficult but needs to be clarified

then the stickler.
if we are going to use a proportion ( by species ) what can we use?
Body length chel. to spinn. varies too much with diet and hydration
Length measured using the Leg I to Leg IV method is unfair to the leggy arboreals when a ratio is applied.

I would propose a carapace diameter as a more appropriate measure of the true size of a T. for it truly does grow more evenly and does not change with diet and hydration.

Now one more question.. if we want a single species to emerge as a winner..
at what age do we measure?
do we use Male and female numbers and average them?
does the ratio remain the same throughout the growth of a T ?
From what I can gather, it is the lenght of the fang in comparrison to the body size. more detailed, we would have to wait for Taki. I'll let him know we are waiting.